Commemorative Switch to Honor Rick Giroux

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
omega

Re: Commemorative Switch to Honor Rick Giroux

Post by omega »

JulesVane wrote:
barshoo wrote:The knife will be an FB classic, 11", have NS bolsters, dk horn scales, a red dot, and RMG over '59-'18 stamped on the tang.
"Classic" suggests (to me), a swivel bolster. Nickel/Silver bolsters and red dot safety suggest (again, to me), a picklock. At the fear of complete ridicule, which one?
In this instance, "Classic" refers to Frank Beltrame's line, as opposed to his "Switch" line or a picklock. Frank's Classics
include 23, 28 and more rarely, 33cm knives.

Knives in the classic line are all swivel bolsters with brass liners and pins. The "classics" do not have a lined top bolster. Stainless is used for both the top/bottom bolsters. Scale variants include all sorts of horn, camel bone, some plastics, etc..

The "Switch" line is a cheaper 9" model, usually with plastic scales which are screwed on, rather than pinned. The Switch models are built on a one-piece mystery-alloy frame which does not make use of liners. This line includes the all-black "Tactical."

The knife Barb is discussing, fits in with some of Frank's higher end pieces, in that the specs include Nickel Silver bolsters, as opposed to stainless. I'm thinking it would be a hybrid of sorts in that it would seem to be a cross between a picklock and a classic model swivel-bolster.

Hope that this adds some further confusion, LOL! :shock:
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...Thanks Luke and Chris! The 3 (NS- Swivel Bolster & Red Dot) threw me off. I remember reading older posts that NS was too soft a material for use as swivel bolsters, but then you mentioned the transitionals. Got it now!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

omega wrote:I'm thinking it would be a hybrid of sorts in that it would seem to be a cross between a picklock and a classic model swivel-bolster.

Hope that this adds some further confusion, LOL! :shock:
Like I said, perhaps this is the very first throwback to a transitional piece? I always knew this day would come - I even thought about having some made for myself, I guess this is the perfect opportunity to see how it works as a modern creation...

Jules, here's a transitional (swivel) Mario (I think) that perhaps the pieces will resemble... (courtesy of Eric aka Rock-N-Roll$$)

Knee-deep in the hoopla...
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

JulesVane wrote:
barshoo wrote:The knife will be an FB classic, 11", have NS bolsters, dk horn scales, a red dot, and RMG over '59-'18 stamped on the tang.
Okay all...just to show off my ignorance here: "Classic" suggests (to me), a swivel bolster. Nickel/Silver bolsters and red dot safety suggest (again, to me), a picklock. At the fear of complete ridicule, which one?

I learn something new every day! I did not know that red dots are exclusive to picklocks! It is not my intent to confuse the collectors s. And it probably is not Frank's intent either! He just might not do it, even if we pay extra. THAT concerns me! There is the after-market problem, also. If you go to sell the knife later, it could be mistaken for a picklock, and that would be a big problem. I am writing a letter to Frank now to see what he thinks...
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
omega

Post by omega »

I dunno Barb, I think Frank is likely to build anything someone will pay for. Around 2004, Frank built a few knives for me and Rick both that was based on his Teflon Tactical in the Switch line, but the builds were done from the Classic line in both the 23cm and 28cm builds, both in damascus. Here's a pic of the 23cm pieces, model number 2358VT. The 28cm knives were model 2858VT. 8)

Sorry I don't have a better pic. This was shot with an old 35mm that put a scratch across the film stock as it went thru the camera.

Chris
Attachments
fbcustom_damask2.jpg
fbcustom_damask2.jpg (203.31 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Don't see why red dot HAS to be unique to picklocks, it just seems like a feature that was lost to time and then brought back to sweeten the deal when limited picklock runs were made. Hell I just uploaded a pic of a swivel with a red dot...

I think N/S and a red dot would make this run more special and not just, a "normal" stiletto with an extra stamp
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I totally agree with Chris and Luke. I WOULD think that Frank B would make such a simple, paid for, request AND that the NS and red dot would certainly make this a special piece. Vintage red dots use to be actual, red plastic inserts. Today, they are round, red painted indentations. Wouldn't think such a big request.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
john

Post by john »

Hi Barb,
I’m in. Sign me up. When the final cost is posted who will collect the payments?
Thank you, Barb, for getting this started. I’d like to suggest adding $10.00 to the cost of the knife and sending it to Rick’s family, donate to Rick’s favorite charity, donate to Knife Rights in Rick’s name, any other ideas?
John
PS how about a swedge blade? More surface area to engrave on and it’s more in line with a transitional style knife.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

I will be collecting the payments. There are three blade types (at this moment):

12 bayo
12dagger
6 kriss

Specify which blade type you want when you sign up. :D Let's see what the knife costs you before we talk about charging $10 extra.
omega

Post by omega »

Barb:

Definately put me down for -1- dagger. I'll arrange an e-payment with you once you post a price, since we already have a very rough Idea of the $$$ ballpark. As you're aware, I'll be offline for a couple of days following minor surgery, so I wanted to make sure not to miss out on getting my preference in.

Cheers!

Chris
john

Post by john »

Hi Everyone,
I put $10. out there as an optional donation. If you should decide to donate, any amount would surely be appreciated by the charity. Members could donate without buying a commemorative knife.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

(September 18, 2018: Just had a conversation with Sara...they will not take small orders. Minimum 200 knives. No can do. Back to the drawing board) See my posts later on in this post, and on the sign-up thread in Off Topic section. I just won't go through again what I went through in the wee hours of this morning... :evil:
Last edited by barshoo on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
omega

Post by omega »

Hmmmm. Times have changed. Are they refusing small runs on just custom pieces, or is
it all small orders of their usual offerings as well?

I would speak with Angelo at AGA Campolin. Perhaps they will be more accomodating.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Over the last couple years, I inquired with Sara on the sale of a couple of pieces and she told me they sell to nobody but dealers. Nothing on the Frank Beltrame website was for sale (to me).

omega

Post by omega »

I'm pissed. See my post in the signups thread!

Chris/Omega