Recommendation for first OTF Stiletto

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Dave_Syn

Recommendation for first OTF Stiletto

Post by Dave_Syn »

I want my first Stiletto to be an OTF in ivory or just lighter color scheme. I like the way the Frank B Stilettos look but I'm having trouble finding one in OTF version. Are there any brands are better yet particular models that you can refer me to? I'm not too picky, I just want it to look like a standard Stiletto, be OTF and come in lighter color scheme.
sammy the blade

Re: Recommendation for first OTF Stiletto

Post by sammy the blade »

Good luck, never seen one.
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Hi Dave. Might you be confused between a Stiletto and an OTF? The closest I've seen that's an OTF that looks like a Stiletto would be a BURN made piece. I'm not familiar with any OTFs made by Frank Beltrame.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

There are a few older OTFs that sort of had the general Italian stiletto look but those are rare and usually pretty expensive. There are ones like Burn knives which are REALLY expensive. Most (99.9%) of OTFs look like OTFs. If you like the Italian stiletto, just get the standard side-opener.
Dave_Syn

Post by Dave_Syn »

I definitely want the Stiletto style, so even if it opens from the side I'll still buy it and look for an OTF elsewhere. I'm looking for a good place to buy one. Any places you could recommend? I like the Frank B ones.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Try the sharperdeal auction site.
2024 candidate for president
omega

Post by omega »

I second Sammy's recommendation to check the auction site at Sharperdeals.net

You can also buy direct from Frank Beltrame and others in Maniago, Italy. Unfortunately, buying direct from anyone in Maniago comes with VERY HIGH shipping costs of around $50 USD per kilo. Frank Beltrame's customer service has become less than stellar in recent years, since his daughter Sarah has been running the front-end of the business. Pretty much all of the Italian firms insist on using DHL or similar express services for shipping to avoid customs difficulties, confiscations, etc..

Another option is AGA Campolin via their site at www.3knives.com . They have an excellent selection of Frank Beltrame knives and others. Pricing is on target and customer service is excellent. Shipping isn't cheap, but you get what you order rather quickly. Their site and store are based in Austria, Although Campolin is an Italian-based firm. Depending on what you order, shipping will either be thru Austria or Italy.

Since you were asking about an OTF, be sure and take a look at the AKC F-16. This is a relatively new offering from AKC, but it doesn't look like the traditional Italian Stiletto. There are 3 other Italian OTF models (Concord, 777/Black Finger, 078-L etc) but those are cheaply made and aren't suitable for use other than maybe as letter openers. Their other OTF offerings are mostly US-made brands which you can order from various USA sources at better prices.

When you look at the AGA site, keep in mind that international orders do not include the 20% Value Added Tax (VAT) which is built in to their net ordering system. Their website is priced in Euros rather than USD, so currency conversion can be confusing. I would email them to first confirm the exact total for your order in USD. All things considered, I really like the Campolin/3Knives offerings, selections and pricing on their Italian knives. The rest of their stuff can be direct-ordered from USA sources at better prices.

Good luck and welcome to the very confusing system of obtaining collectible knives! :D
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Dave_Syn

The nearest otf to a Frank B knife imho is these trapdoor otf knives from tbe 1960s.

These are pretty rare and expensive ,but they resemble the archetypal italian knives in scale types and button type /placement.

They are beautiful knives but I believe they are fired like a gravity knife with spring assist not by the springs used in many otfs.

I hope you find what you are looking for and asking here first is always best.

I believe these 2 beauties belong to John a member here ,I hope you dont mind me posting them John my freind as I love these examples.

gravknife
Attachments
2011-06-20_0021.jpg
2011-06-20_0021.jpg (63.88 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
2011-06-20_0023.jpg
2011-06-20_0023.jpg (63.27 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
2013-12-03_0031.jpg
2013-12-03_0031.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
2013-12-03_0002.jpg
2013-12-03_0002.jpg (51.86 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
omega

Post by omega »

Rather pricey. I think going rate is $600 up based on the few I seen on the auctions over the years. Kind of on the rare side too. I don't think many of them survived, as they weren't very durable.
john

Post by john »

Hello Ian,
You saved me the trouble of posting them. Thank you for the complement. They’re two of my most favorite knives.
Here’s a little bit about these trap door stiletto knives from my friend Lucio, “These knives was made in Maniago in the 60's by Rosa Uliana Primo and his brother. He made 3 models: one cow horn handled (with and without spring wire) with trap door on the right, one aluminium handled with trap door on the left and one black plastic handled without trap door with double gravity action. This last one is also rare.”
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
heimdall

Post by heimdall »

John.
There were more than 3 models; there was a horn (with and without spring) with trapdoor on the right; horn with trapdoor on the left; metal-handle with door on the left; and flush-button with door on the right; additionally, the gravity and the double-action ones.
john

ORe: Recommendation for first OTF Stiletto

Post by john »

Hello heimdall,
I recall a thread from a while back. So I searched and found this
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25314&hilit=Trap+door#top
It has some awesome photos and information about the trap door knife.
Thank you,
John
John

john

Post by john »

Hi Dave,
If you’re looking for an Italian OTF, AKC makes a good one I have l the few. But, don’t take my word for it, ask around.
John
John

omega

Post by omega »

john wrote: If you’re looking for an Italian OTF, AKC makes a good one.........
Really, John?

I've not handled any of the AKC marked pieces, and I just assumed they put their mark on the same old stuff that Spadon sold to everyone else in Maniago.

So what's up.......... are the AKC branded OTF's any good now?

Chris
heimdall

Re: ORe: Recommendation for first OTF Stiletto

Post by heimdall »

john wrote:Hello heimdall,
I recall a thread from a while back. So I searched and found this
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25314&hilit=Trap+door#top
It has some awesome photos and information about the trap door knife.
Thank you,
John
Great photos in that previous thread; thank you.