"Older" Swinguards

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

"Older" Swinguards

Post by JulesVane »

Hi all...I was wondering...We know about the makers of the more modern swinguards by their stamp. Commonly: A.G.A. Campolin's 13", Frank Beltrame's 11" and AKC's 9". But, so many of the "older" swinguards (1960's?), usually are just generic stamps such as: INOX, ROSTFREI, MADEINITALY, PATENT, etc..Was there a common maker of these, or do they all just fall into the "Maniago Cottage Industry"?

...Thanks for any info. in advance.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
orangeboy

Re: "Older" Swinguards

Post by orangeboy »

JulesVane wrote:Hi all...I was wondering...We know about the makers of the more modern swinguards by their stamp. Commonly: A.G.A. Campolin's 13", Frank Beltrame's 11" and AKC's 9". But, so many of the "older" swinguards (1960's?), usually are just generic stamps such as: INOX, ROSTFREI, MADEINITALY, PATENT, etc..Was there a common maker of these, or do they all just fall into the "Maniago Cottage Industry"?

...Thanks for any info. in advance.
Oddly enough, there is a German patent for these in 1959. And an Italian one in 1961-63 ( have to check the exact date). Most likely these were all made in Italy. The earlier German patent certainly makes one scratch his head
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

One thing I have noticed about the vintage swingers is that they are all very uniform. They all have parts that seem to fit on all of them. Besides for some of them having sorter blades for the German market, they all pretty identical. The scales and stamps are the only variations.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

The earlier German patent certainly makes one scratch his head
That is really weird.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Charlie and Jeremy. I had (naturally) never even considered possible German production. Very interesting.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

They aren't made in Germany; they are made in Italy. Some of them have the shorter standard blade meant for the German market.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JimBrown257 wrote:They aren't made in Germany; they are made in Italy. Some of them have the shorter standard blade meant for the German market.
Ahh, okay. Got it Jeremy and thanks. I figured these to be Italian made, just threw me at the 1959 German patent. So, these generic stamps can mean ANY Italian maker?

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Yeah, those Inox/Rostfrei/patent stamps are pretty generic.

And here is a regular 9" and two shorter blade German market ones. The shorter blade only seems to be on 9" handles.
Attachments
IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG (138.34 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Jeremy. Great examples there. I guess it really doesn't matter that no maker's stamp be placed on knives from Maniago. Even with modern production of today's stamped pieces, seems we never really know how many hands the piece has passed through to get to us. The maker's stamp seems to be the end credit. Blades from this one- scales from that one- bolsters from that one, etc. A very interesting process indeed.
For example: This gentleman's name is Renzo Spadon, he just turned 94 the other day. He, and his Son Leandro, both build knives for A.G.A. Campolin. With old-time craftsman like this, who's name will never appear on a tang stamp, I guess it actually doesn't matter because we will never really know all those involved.

Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

In Germany in the 1970s I saw these swing guards for sale. I agree they are Italian made for various German companies with their stamp of just made for sale in Germany with no company name. It was wonderful back then in Europe as Italy, Spain and Germany ( and a part of Sweden) I was switchblades everywhere!!!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Great explanation of the origins Orangeboy ..JimBrown257.Something I was also unsure of so thanks.

Some mighty fine swingers on show aswell Chris and Jeremy . 8) 8)

gravknife
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

thanx for the pix and the History Chris and Jeremy.Eric
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It may have been common to patent items in several countries, buy different people.
For example- the Korn knives were patented in Germany, the US, and England.
They were only made in Germany.

The short-bladed knives for Germany were simply a blade for an 8" knife installed in a 9" handle.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Bill DeShivs wrote:It may have been common to patent items in several countries, buy different people.
For example- the Korn knives were patented in Germany, the US, and England.
They were only made in Germany.

The short-bladed knives for Germany were simply a blade for an 8" knife installed in a 9" handle.
I saw many of those when I visited Germany and still have an Othello-marked stiletto I bought in Heidelberg in 1986. I never saw the point in them and I would rather have a regular 8-inch knife, but probably someone with large hands would prefer the 9-inch handle.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I never really thought of that before but it is pretty weird that they did that.