Do any of you store your kick-spring autos CLOSED?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Do any of you store your kick-spring autos CLOSED?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Static metal fatigue is not a problem with switchblades. Not with sears, buttons or springs.
All the wear/fatigue happens when the parts are MOVING, not static.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Well, I guess Frank disagrees with you, and so do I.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Well, if you never close your knives, the springs sure won't break.
I can tell you this- I have rebuilt THOUSANDS of switchblades. I can tell you where the wear points are.
I have made THOUSANDS of springs. Four have broken- from the same piece of steel. How many have you made?
Of course, they are your knives, and you can do with them what you want.
But I have been in this business a very long time. I wouldn't give bad advice to other collectors.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I have pistol magazines that have been loaded for 40+ years that work just fine. I wonder when they are going to go bad?
And I guess I'd better go jack my car up.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I've bought genuine Italians, older mind you, played with them a bit -- nothing crazy, before closing them, boxing them up and putting them in the closet and forgetting about them for 4-5 years. When I go back to them, some are open - refusing to stay shut, or peeking badly. What happened? Upon opening them up it became clear each time it was the sear that broke off or the button assembly warped to one side over time. Now, these were from the '80s when materials and quality started to go to crap in general, so I suspect this could have been part of it. But having this happen before makes me favor a more careful approach to collecting / storing older knives for long periods of time, especially the expensive ones. The way I see it -- why take the chance?

I come from a background in blackmithing and other metalwork although I won't stoop to the point of throwing my weight around here / engaging in any kind of pissing match as far as who's worked on what. It's a sorrowful thing to see you unable to respectfully disagree with someone without attacking their credibility.

Being the only person in this hemisphere who is authorized to fix these problems represents a gross conflict of interest in my opinion; I'll stick to taking advice from a guy who makes these knives, not someone who profits when these knives get broken, thanks though.

As far as bring entirely different types of springs (eg. coil springs in your car) into this, it's like comparing ventricle muscles to biceps, but as I said, the assemblys and sears are my main concern here, rather than the springs themselves. This is the weak point on stilettos.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I'm not throwing my weight around. I'm simply explaining what I have seen and done. I apologize if it appears that way. There are dozens of people repairing switchblades-not just me.
Disagreeing is one thing, but promulgating bad information is another.
Of course, there is nothing wrong with storing knives open, but it's not necessary.
And you are correct on one point-improper assembly can cause button assemblies on modern-type knives to move to the side, but this would have happened with use anyway.
It has been my experience that sears, sear holes and liner holes wear when the parts move-not while they are stationary.
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

Hi Bill,

I store my knives closed in the plastic sleeves that they were delivered in. I'm assuming that there is no harm in storing them that way. Am I right? I have two knife cases, and they are chalk-full of knives. (And this is where you will laugh...) My newer acquisitions are in shoe boxes, and my expensive customs have been in a shopping bag for ten years! WOMEN, huh? :lol:
I will push your buttons--please pass me your switchblades first.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

There is no harm in storing them closed.
omega

Post by omega »

Bill DeShivs wrote:There is no harm in storing them closed.
No, but Barb should be severely chastised for storing her hoard in shopping bags. Her collection is deserving of a massive display case, or perhaps several. :mrgreen:

Barshoo: Get off your ass, Barb, and make David build you a nice wing on the house to store your shit in!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

barshoo wrote:...my expensive customs have been in a shopping bag for ten years! WOMEN, huh? :lol:
I would have been more impressed if you had them in your purse! :mrgreen:
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I keep almost all my knives in the open position. I think they look better that way, and I have the room. Here are some examples:
Attachments
IMG_0829_1_2_1.JPG
IMG_0829_1_2_1.JPG (155.75 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
Drawer 7.JPG
Drawer 7.JPG (125.13 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
Drawer 1.JPG
Drawer 1.JPG (131.47 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

THANK you, Natch!! I have been craving pictures of other knives besides mine! WHAT a great display! One day, when we are in a larger place, my other half wants to get me a proper display case for all my knives. Or MOST, at least... :D
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

natcherly wrote:
barshoo wrote:...my expensive customs have been in a shopping bag for ten years! WOMEN, huh? :lol:
I would have been more impressed if you had them in your purse! :mrgreen:
I'm too chicken to carry them in my purse! With MY luck, police would catch me, or WORSE, TAKE them from me!!

By the way, Rainy Vallotton is fixing my Mammoth-scaled beauty with the blued Damascus bolsters. He is charging me for sanding off the rust, removing the bluing, taking apart the knife for I-forget-what, and re-bluing the bolsters...all for $40-$60 bucks! :shock: Really nice guy, he is...we spoke about a half-hour about another knife that I have, which he built nearly 25 years ago. It's a one-of-its-kind, and I learned all about it. I'll share that when I post pictures of the knife. :D
barshoo

Post by barshoo »

natcherly wrote:I keep almost all my knives in the open position. I think they look better that way, and I have the room. Here are some examples:
I see a French Bargeon and a Duo Buois in there! JUST BEAUTIFUL, your knives are!!
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

barshoo wrote:...Really nice guy, he is...
barshoo wrote:...JUST BEAUTIFUL, your knives are!!
Someone has been watching a lot of Starwars, or taken an elocution course from Yoda, they have!

Barb, you owe it to yourself to properly store and display the incredible collection you have assembled. Other priorities often get in the way, but this level of investment and connoisseurship cries out for a better solution. Good for us too in that it would facilitate your sharing 8)