Counterfeit Leverletto or not??

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Counterfeit Leverletto or not??

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I wish I could steal the Ebay picture and put it beside mine.
Regardless-here are the differences (besides the markings.)
Lever spring "pin" is a set screw, and it's in the wrong place.
Lever is polished steel instead of nickel plated.
Front guards are misshapen-both outline and contouring.
Scale pins are ground flush.
Blade grind at tang is wrong.
Rear bolster pin has a huge domed head and is brass. Same with pivot pin.
Only first model Leverlettos have a visible backspring pin.
Blade shape at tang is too large, and is ground too thin at edge of blade.Makes blade look too small.
Blade finish shows vertical grind lines. Leverlettos are polished.

Just the rear rivet, the set screw, and the non-matching lever give these away from about 10 feet.
Be aware that most markings on knives (even legitimate knives) are usually the markings of the seller-not the maker.
Read the knife- not the markings. This applies to all knives.

Once you get this down, you will begin to not only see fakes, you'll realize that Camillus made some of the Bucks, G. Schrade made Case and Remington switchblades, Bonsa made quite a few of the German levers for other companies, etc.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Thanks, Terry!
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I wish I could steal the Ebay picture and put it beside mine.
Bill I edited your picture post with the fake one. I had to change your wording some because I couldn't add the fake one after your picture for some reason.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

How did you copy the Ebay pic?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

On my chromebook I just right click and there is an option to "save picture to computer". Once saved to my files I can just insert it here like normal.

I would have no idea how to do in if you are using a smart phone.
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

I know this post is a little old, however I seem to remember when you went to click on “BOARD INDEX” (at the top of the talk blade page), there were the first two rows which you could click on:

The 1st was “GOOD ONES AND BAD ONES” this showed all the sellers that were trust worthy AND all the sellers that cheated fellow members and were advised not to do business with.

The 2nd row, I believe had the title “COUNTERFEIT” you could view AKC tang stamps,fake and real side by side.
And as I recall they were (for a lack of a better term) locked. You could not comment or post anything on them, only the administrators.

For the life of me I can no longer navigate to ether one. Both in my opinion were a great resource for reference. Maybe some one (without alzheimers) can find those links, I sure as hell can’t.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

While tang stamps are a good tool to use for identification, learning what specific knives are supposed to look like is a much better tool.
bigfatross

Post by bigfatross »

Bill DeShivs wrote:While tang stamps are a good tool to use for identification, learning what specific knives are supposed to look like is a much better tool.
Yes Bill I agree, however in my opinion the more resources you have at your finger tips the more bullets in your gun.

For Example, there is a eBay listing for AKC S.Blades (witch I believe are counterfeit) https://www.ebay.com/itm/smooth-opennin ... 0005.m1851.
If a first time buyer had some knowledge (Referring to my post above about the AKC tang stamp info) purchases his first S.B. thinking that AKC is a good brand. He might be able to distinguish that he is getting ripped off. Instead of taking possession of the knife and THEN finding out it is a cheep o.

A little information go’s a long way…..
Thanks for replying!
Ross
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Here's another bullet- the Chinese don't sell genuine AKC products!
Look at all the clues.
These knives only "sort of" look like real Italian knives.