Rebuilding 1950s picklock

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jrarbogast

Rebuilding 1950s picklock

Post by Jrarbogast »

Being new to the Italian stiletto world, is it possible to rebuild them? I am assuming so. From what I can see, I need new button spring and pins to prevent the awful side to side play. Any tips? The name is in the photo as I cannot find much info on maker.
Attachments
20180731_094222.jpg
20180731_094222.jpg (231.44 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Rebuilding 1950s picklock

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Here is the best tip I can give you:
Amateur "restoration" is the absolute best way to ruin the value of an expensive knife like yours.
Your knife is rare and probably reasonably valuable.
There are people here, including myself, who are capable of properly repairing it.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
john

Post by john »

If you’ve never restored a vintage Italian stiletto, don’t start now. Get your self an inexpensive stiletto take it apart and put back together. My suggestion is to have an experience person repair your rare knife.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
thom

Post by thom »

Send it to Bill. It will then be a museum piece. Would love to see more pictures of your knife. Welcome, I see you just joined. You came to the right place!!
You won't find anybody better than Bill.

Thom
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Is the only problem some side to side play? That could be a very simple fix that only requires taking the pivot out.
Jrarbogast

Post by Jrarbogast »

Thank you everyone. I just acquired this in a trade from a co-worker who found it at a pawn shop for $20 in a box o knives bargain bin behind the counter!. Needless to say I promptly jumped on a trade for it with another knife they wanted. I fell in love with it right away... if it could talk... I do not want to mess it up and would love to hand it over to a more experienced person. The blade sticks up, safety doesn't work and there is some cracks in the scales. I can live with the scales but would love to make this a functional knife again. Pics incoming.
Jrarbogast

Post by Jrarbogast »

Pics posted. You can see where the spring sticks out and in other photo it looks like a small chip on outside edge of where it locks.
Attachments
Spring sticking out
Spring sticking out
pic3.jpg (213.7 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (130.59 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (583.19 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
thom

Post by thom »

Great find. Thanks for the pics. Bill is who you want for restoration!!! That picture of Einstein is there for a reason.
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Let us know what you decide.
Thom
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

not to worry, the spring sticking out is normal, and the chip is a ramp for the pin to ride up.

great find great knife.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Jrarbogast

Post by Jrarbogast »

Thank you. The bug has bitten and now I have to watch my wallet! I am going to see what the restoration (estimate) from Bill will cost and possible do it. If not I guess its a wall hanger.
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

send it to Bill,you will be glad that you did.
morrissey

Post by morrissey »

Congrats on an Awesome Score!

The E.Miltenberg stamp is very rare and highly sought after by vintage stiletto knife collectors. I have been collecting vintage stilettos full time for over 6 years now and I have yet to come across this stamp.

It looks like the knife measures 28cm or 11" in the open position. Is that correct?

This knife could easily fetch a lot of money its current condition due to the rarity of the stamp, the size and the condition. The knife is definitely worth restoring and I would get some estimates on the restoration work..some folks charge more than others.

If you haven't already, pick up the Switchblades of Italy book which is THE Bible for this hobby.

Again, congrats and welcome to the exciting world of vintage stiletto collecting....and to a whole new addiction...as once you get that vintage stiletto bug, there is not turning back. ;)
Last edited by morrissey on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

You paid twenty U.S. dollars for it??? Oh Lord! What a blessing!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Jrarbogast

Post by Jrarbogast »

Awesome and thanks for the tips. I hope restoring it isn't as much as the knife then... being an beginner custom knife make (being doing it for 7 years) I appreciated the work that went into this one. Not knowing the history of the maker it sounds like a good one I take it. Well I will see what the restoration costs and keep you updated.
DonC

Post by DonC »

What a fantastic find. Congratulations.
Put another vote for Bill if you decide to have it restored.
DonC