Found this on Ebay

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Re: Found this on Ebay

Post by JulesVane »

...but the listing does state "winning bid" was $11,767.....

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
texans123

Post by texans123 »

I have one like that purchased in the late 1960's when I was a kid. Maybe I need to post it with a buy-it-now. :P
thom

Post by thom »

If I had one I would post on eBay in a heart beat.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Just like Jeremy says though, starting off low seems to win the big bucks. I've seen the key chain stilettos go for over $200 just because of the "bidder's pride" thing going on. Just won't accept being outbid.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Jeremy, like jules already showed me a couple posts up the auction did complete and wasn't removed.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

whippersnapper wrote:Jeremy, like jules already showed me a couple posts up the auction did complete and wasn't removed.
When I look for that $11,000 Japanese false-button, it shows the listing was removed. Doesn't it usually show the auction and say "sold" when it is actually sold?

EDIT: I see the bids when I click on that. I noticed the winning bidder has a single bid, which I believe is the one he made on this auction.

So whatever the case, I think we can be sure $11,000 was not actually exchanged for that knife.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Same knife, same seller.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Genghis Khan

Post by Genghis Khan »

If the knife is "sold", the seller is on the hook for very high fees to fleabay.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Actually, the bidder used a fake account to outbid the other fake bids then cancelled the fake account so he didn't have to pay the 10% fee.

You can now see that the highest bidder was "unregistered".

https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/113156695457
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

How the heck did so many fake bidders have such high transactions on eBay numbers? (Except the final, of course). The bidder at $11,667. had 85 legit past transactions on eBay? Can that also be faked? (Somehow, it must be).

JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Not including the unregistered (made that day) account, there are three for sure fake ones. They have ratings of 13, 85 & 15. Some people do a ton of trading on Ebay so it's not hard to imagine that one person could have multiple accounts with those relatively low scores.'

Then there is that other bidder that went to $319 and has a score of 852. That is a crazy high bid for that knife but not actually all that crazy compared to some of the other bids we see on Ebay. So I think that might have been a real bidder (and the seller screwed himself out of making that $319 sale).

I would say there is a possibility that someone was just screwing with this seller (making those really high bids to get his hopes up, only to dash his hopes at the last second with the unregistered account). But I am more prone to thinking the seller was just pulling some shenanigans because I contacted the seller when the auction was going and he gave me this ridiculous reply about the knife being super valuable and some big shot Hollywood types were fighting for it.

I still stand by my earlier idea that he is just a schmuck who was trying to create the impression that the knife was super valuable for when he relisted it (which he did relist it but it was taken down after that).
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

It's them dang Russians...