Brand new A.G.A Campolin ring pull with poor fitting?!

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
mykniveSSuck82

Brand new A.G.A Campolin ring pull with poor fitting?!

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

Don’t know if I’m the only one that has noticed problems with these knives or I just have bad luck in general with the type of knives I like. I got my second A.G.A a couple months back and the fitting is just horrible, the safety doesn’t work and the blade where it locks up is at an angle so the blade sits crooked! The whole knife has to be rebuilt! Now there could be a problem with the dealer and not the company but this has forever ruined my opinion of A.G.A Campolin automatic knives :( here are some pictures of the knife for proof. To tell you the truth I don’t know how this could have even left their shop. The thing doesn’t appear to be new by any means whatsoever!! Argh!

Peteymcsweety

Re: Brand new A.G.A Campolin ring pull with poor fitting?!

Post by Peteymcsweety »

Hey ive got the same knife stamped 2017 and its perfect, maybe you got a return. I would contact the dealer and see what they can do campolin usally puts out a good product
mykniveSSuck82

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

Really? Man I swear! The knife looked so cool I was just so disappointed when I got it. I've just now cooled off enough to talk about it. The store I bought it from will remain nameless but he has a "Cheap crap warning" and doesn't do returns and the guy is kinda hard to deal with.. ring any bells?... Anyways yeah no way I could get a refund or a replacement. kinda stuck with the thing now so I got to try and repair it myself I guess. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had problems with aga besides me... I kinda figured it was a retail issue and not a.g.a but still I could be wrong. That's cool that yours is nice. bet it's a bad ass little knife! The design is so cool! I want to take a chance and buy another but this was my second bad experience with the a.g.a company.
mykniveSSuck82

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

I'd been buying automatic knives from the same guy for quite some time now and ever sense the last a.g.a experience I've stopped. If I go back and look at everything I've got from him I realize now that everything was f***ed up in some way or another. I had ordered a akc swingaurd from him years and years ago and it had a screw holding the blade on instead of a rivet. Like wtf I didn't know at the time but now... Man this guy had been ripping me off! Guy is a damn fink!
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Think I know who you got it from. I've heard of some people that like him but not a lot of them.
2024 candidate for president
john

Post by john »

Hello MKS82,
Your knife can be made to work as intended. Worst case scenario the knife may need to be taken apart. Obviously the pivot pin needs to be carefully hammered. Use a two ounce ball pien hammer. To begin with the pin might be too long. It will need to be filled down. Also, other pins may need to be worked. With a lot of patience and a bit of work your knife should function and look fabulous.
Next time buy directly from AGA on very rare occasions a knife will get by the QC department. The difference is that you’ll have Angelo at AGA who will take care of you. That knife you have should have never been sold as a 1st quality knife. It should have been sold as a parts knife or a fixer upper.
Good luck and if you don’t have the time or patience to repair the knife there are many members here who can do the job for you. I don’t have the time, but I could repair it for you.
John
PS If you bought this knife from “the one who shall not be named” do yourself a favor don’t buy from him again. It makes me very sad to se people ripped off.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
mykniveSSuck82

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

Thank you so much John. I managed to get the pivot out today. The locking bar or back spring, tang.. whatever it’s called had to be filed down flat too so that the knife didn’t sit crooked when it was in the open position so now it locks up straight and tight. I still have to buy a ball pien hammer tho so I can shape a new pivot and secure my blade. Can anyone help me figure out what would be the best material to make a rivot out of? Right now I’m holding it together with a small nail.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

A nail will make a great pivot pin, but it must fit the hole in the blade EXACTLY. Use a larger nail. Chuck it in a drill and carefully file it down. If the pin is too loose, the knife will not close or open properly.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Peteymcsweety

Post by Peteymcsweety »

How much did you pay...if you dont mind me asking...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Why can't you use the pin you took out? It's plenty long.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
mykniveSSuck82

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

Peteymcsweety wrote:How much did you pay...if you dont mind me asking...
It was over 100$ I think it was like $115 after shipping and tax... getting ripped off sucks man! I was so excited about getting this knife but when I went to push that shiny new little button devastation when it popped open and I turned it on it’s side “something didn’t sound right when it opened” when I turned it on it’s side to look at it more closely all I saw was that crooked ass loose blade.... hanging there like a loose tooth! I wanted to cry
mykniveSSuck82

Post by mykniveSSuck82 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:Why can't you use the pin you took out? It's plenty long.
Ha I didn’t have the right tool to remove that pivot so I had to cut it down the middle to get it out... I didn’t want to damage the bolsters trying to get it out from the side.
Peteymcsweety

Post by Peteymcsweety »

Well dont let it ruin your taste for campolin blades there are some very nice knifes out there just got to be careful on who you buy from..the good guys list here on talkblade is a good starting point and then maybe go a little bit deeper like checking reviews...good luck to you
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I believe the blades are installed in the US.
Peteymcsweety

Post by Peteymcsweety »

I will sell you mine if your interested, im tryng to get the money together for a campolin zero....let me know. mcsweetyjoey@gmail.com is my email