Armando Beltrame "Box"

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Armando Beltrame "Box"

Post by JulesVane »

Hi all. Just wondering...Did Armando Beltrame use this (type) of box for a specific model he produced? I'm pretty sure they came in different sizes and this one is 16" in length. I can't quite think of a "special" AB model he may have used them for.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Re: Armando Beltrame "Box"

Post by natcherly »

That box was designed to hold a 15" stiletto sold by Armando Beltrame. AB did not actually build such knives. They were produced by the Campolins and provided to AB marked with the AB stamp. This was and still is a common practice whereby makers such as AB could round out their product line by offering knives they didn't make. These boxes were provided free of charge when purchasing the higher end knives such as the 15", 18" or various Damascus bladed pieces. They could be bought separately. They came in a variety of sizes, 9" up to 18".
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thank you Mr. natcherly. The box does hold my 15" A.G.A. Campolin very well. I just hadn't realized that any Armando Beltrame pieces were ever produced (or stamped) to be fitting of such it's own box. I thought possibly AB made some "special or limited edition" that I wasn't aware of. Though A.G.A. Campolin does now seem to supply a nice little leather pouch with some of their newer pieces, it's not often I've seen such provided with a presentation box. Thanks again!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
john

Post by john »

Here’s an 11” Buffalo horn Damascus AB 2000
B8AA5D8A-3B94-4322-863F-938025A4A554.jpeg
B8AA5D8A-3B94-4322-863F-938025A4A554.jpeg (726.93 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thank you John! I do find it very fitting that an AB piece belongs in an AB box and a very nice piece indeed. So, Armando never made a 15" model, but, presumably A.G.A. Campolin did for him? Gee, this hobby can be confusing lol. The Maniago mystery of the cottage industry is very interesting. Renzo Pascotto making for A.G.A. Campolin, A.G.A. Campolin making for Armando Beltrame. All sharing blades and scales, etc..When a new collector asks which of the Beltrame family pieces they should purchase, how does one refrain from answering "What's the difference?"