What is this automatic weapon called??

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Mantiques

What is this automatic weapon called??

Post by Mantiques »

I picked this up with a bunch of Balisongs the other day. There are no markings on it. It has a very strong spring probably strong enough to pierce skin but have not found someone worthy of the experiment yet. Closed it measures 6" long and open 9" long. The point is razor sharp.
Attachments
IMG_9425.JPG
IMG_9425.JPG (20.86 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
IMG_9424.JPG
IMG_9424.JPG (19.74 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
IMG_9423.JPG
IMG_9423.JPG (16.11 KiB) Viewed 4519 times
JulesVane

Re: What is this automatic weapon called??

Post by JulesVane »

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Rey Zhourej

Post by Rey Zhourej »

I think it used to be called an,"Inner City Sportsman's Pencil";at least that is what the ads called them.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Rey, the ICSP was a mechanical pencil converted to an OTF.
The original "Guardfather" was an all-steel, OTF "pencil," very much unlike the pictured Chinese models.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

They've been out for quite awhile.
2024 candidate for president
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I have one of the metal ones and it came with the original advertisement (pay by sending a check so at least 20 years old). It's pretty cool and much higher quality than the plastic ones. Though the mechanics have some flaws. The sear near the back end wears down easily and the piece that locks it open doesn't seem like it could withstand much pressure if used as a weapon.

I might think that they were worried about trademark issues with whoever owns the rights to the film The Godfather but it doesn't seem like they've ever cared much about intellectual property rights. So I would say it is more likely that "Guardfather" is just your standard Asian mis-translation of an American phrase.
Attachments
IMG_9164.JPG
IMG_9164.JPG (155.87 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

My original Guardfathers (made in Italy) have held up very well. I carried one for about 20 years. I even shortened one to comply with TN law (at the time) and gold plated it. The body was so hard it was almost un-machineable. I have stabbed them into wood, and even thrown them with no ill effects.
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Had an ICSP years ago. It looked like a drafting pencil when closed.
DonC
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Bill DeShivs wrote:My original Guardfathers (made in Italy) have held up very well. I carried one for about 20 years. I even shortened one to comply with TN law (at the time) and gold plated it. The body was so hard it was almost un-machineable. I have stabbed them into wood, and even thrown them with no ill effects.
Was yours similar to the one in my pic? I never considered this one might be Italian,

And to shorten it, you would have had to cut the spike and the handle, right?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Bryg's models were Italian. Most said "made in Italy" on the side of the pocket clip.
We had to cut the rear off the handle, and shorten the spike from the front.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

So if you cut the rear of the handle, did you have to move the clip/button up? Or did yours have the button at the top like that OP one>
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Mine is exactly like yours. We moved the entire mechanism forward-clip/sear, sear slot, and rethreaded for the cap. Then, we cut the front off the spike to fit.
If you are thinking about trying this-don't. It requires a good sized lathe, carbide tool bits, the ability to rethread extremely hard (apparently air-hardening) tool steel.
I like them enough that I have looked into reproducing them, but have not located a machine shop that was particularly interested.
EdwardRobert

Post by EdwardRobert »

The possibilities are endless! It can be used as an ice pick, glass breaker, defense tool, collector's item or the manliest toothpick that ever existed.

Try not to a smash with a Knuckles