Could someone explain this better to me?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Scotchman

Could someone explain this better to me?

Post by Scotchman »

Screenshot_20180518-163931.png
Screenshot_20180518-163931.png (122.98 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
gravknife

Re: Could someone explain this better to me?

Post by gravknife »

Scotchman

I think the seller is saying that the sear pin has worn down badly so the blade won't stay closed in the normal way....The blade pushes out of the scales as there is no pin to engage the hole in the blade....therefore nothing to lock it in place

He is therfore using the safety switch to lock the blade by holding the blade in place and sliding the catch up....this will temporarily hold the blade in position
Sometimes when you pull the safety down ,it fires the knife open ,i have had this happen myself.

This usually means a new sear pin is needed ,or there can be dirt in the sear hole .
The new sear pin means taking off the scales and fitting a new pin that will engage the hole .

I hope this helps a little ,someone with more knowledge will agree or have a different take on the problem.

Hope your well

gravknife
Last edited by gravknife on Fri May 18, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Ah.Thanks. Hope everything good in your "neck of the woods", as well.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

There is a few simple things you can try. If the blade seems unusually loose (especially towards/away blade play) then the pivot can be tightened and that might help. Also, if the sear hole in the blade has become ramped on the inside, you can even that out so the sear holds in place.

Though, if a worn sear is causing the issue, then it will require being taken apart and very likely will need a new rocker/sear. It's not a huge job but if the price isn't great or it isn't a knife you really want, then I would recommend passing on it.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Jim, thanks. I kind of like the fact of it being a picklock (I don't have one) , but, I am trying to stay with 11" knives and to me it would be expensive to have fixed (been there with my 60's knife). I would rather find something in better condition.
john

Post by john »

Scotchman wrote:...I would rather find something in better condition.

Much better plan.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Yeah, I just checked it out. The sear hole on the blade is stretched out giving it that tear drop shape. It already peeks quite a bit so fixing that is not going to be as simple even top warrant bothering with.