AGA Campolin 11" Picklock

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
arlen

AGA Campolin 11" Picklock

Post by arlen »

I just ordered, online, a new AGA Campolin 11" picklock stiletto 2016 with dark horn handle and a bayonet blade. This is the 2nd switchblade I have purchased since Colorado legalized them a year or so ago. The 1st one I gave to my daughter as a gift (she is a knife collector). This one I have purchased for myself.
My question is this: why is there such a price range of AGA Campolin 11" picklock stiletto knives? They range from $140. to $324. They are all picklocks of the same maker, style, and length. The only difference seems to be the handle material and maybe a limited issue.
Am I missing something?
Regards,
arlen
JulesVane

Re: AGA Campolin 11" Picklock

Post by JulesVane »

Hi, and welcome arlen. First, the pic you provided is the 11" flatguard picklock from 2016, which was a limited run of 150 produced that year. You are very lucky to have gotten this piece, you'll love it! It's pretty different than the other A.G.A. Campolin picklocks I'm sure you're referring to. I can't recall seeing any as low as $140 (I could be wrong), but you are very correct in the fact that scale material ways a big factor in prices. Abalone and Mother of Pearl probably at the highest side of the pricing spectrum. Not sure which picklock you gifted your daughter, but if this is only your second stiletto purchase, you sure did pick a winner!
*edit* on 2nd thought, the $140 A.G.A. Picklock you must be referring to, is the 11" 70th Anniversary Edition. Another fine piece, but your choice in the pictured flatguard? Very different.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
arlen

Post by arlen »

The gifted knife to my daughter was also this same knife 2016. I purchased it for the same price from the same dealer in Sept of 2017. She was tickled with it and I fell in love with it just playing with it whenever it arrived. I was unaware that these two knives were of a 150 limited production, but that makes me very happy. I try to do my due-diligence before purchasing, but there is limited information on the internet. I did not find this forum until just lately and have been reading quite a bit since then.
Regards,
arlen
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

IMG_6427.jpg
IMG_6427.jpg (70.53 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
...Should be laser etched on the back tang limited edition and number/of 150.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
arlen

Post by arlen »

The knife that I gave to my daughter was etched. I had forgotten that fact. I do not remember its number of the 150. The one I ordered today, I do not know. The picture was not large enough to show the etching such as yours. I am sure that the picture was a stock photo, for it was the exact picture whenever I ordered my daughter's knife.
In a little over a week, I will know.
Regards,
arlen
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I was just looking at the same piece listed on the sister site of where you purchased yours and was surprised there was no mention of it being a limited edition of 150. Quite a selling point I'm surprised they would leave out. But, it sure had me wanting to get another one. My "wants" list is just too long! lol

arlen

Post by arlen »

I wondered how many they had in stock on the store site, so after I purchased the knife, I refreshed the page and it was then "Out of Stock". I do hope that their inventory was correct, but they probably know what they are doing, so I will rest easy. My previous transaction with them went without any trouble.
Regards,
arlen
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...you got the only one they had. I sent you a private message. (top right of your screen).

Corvus

Post by Corvus »

You lucked out. I contacted the same seller about that very knife and they told me to call the store on Monday to assure that it fit my needs, but the early bird gets the worm. Congrats on landing a great and hard to find knife. :D
DonC

Post by DonC »

Arlen:
This is how it starts. Get a knife that you like and you start looking for more. Before you realize it you're hooked. Same thing goes for Cocain (at least that's what I've heard. I've never tried it but an artist fried of mine in Mexico has offered to let me smell some of his );-).
DonC
arlen

Post by arlen »

Yeah, I have already been looking at the imitation ivory 10” switchblades and the swing guards. There was a link posted on another thread to some beautiful Italian knives which really whetted my appetite.
I collect early semi-auto pistols and do not know how to deny myself. But it serves as a savings account.
Regards,
arlen
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

I wonder if these were actually made by AGA or by Frank B or via some sort of co-production? One of Frank's specialties is the 11" stiletto and he has the flat guards that first appeared on Walt's 11" knives some 14 years ago. The Campolin's are not known for 11 stilettos. Frank making them for AGA would not be out of character given the way they do business over there, what with the "cooperation" thing allowing makers to expand their offerings.

Thoughts?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Those look like Renzo Pascotto's work.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
arlen

Post by arlen »

Received my AGA Campolin 11" 2016 this morning and am very happy with it. Been playing with it all morning. It is #18 or 150.
Regards,
arlen
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

arlen wrote:Received my AGA Campolin 11" 2016 this morning and am very happy with it. Been playing with it all morning. It is #18 or 150.
Congrats arlen! Great score! Love to see the pics when you can.