Rizzuto Estileto Milano ID confirmation

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Earnette76

Rizzuto Estileto Milano ID confirmation

Post by Earnette76 »

Hello all. Just found this blade in my FIL's garage. He said he purchased it as a teenager, in Mexico. He also claimed that it is a piece of s#!t. Just curious about whether it is actually Italian. My EDC is a karambit from Italy. Anyways, I think it's got a few decades of machismo stored in it. Also, in the event that police confiscate it, how much can I claim it is worth?
Thanks for listening/reading
God bless
Attachments
20180406_025323.jpg
20180406_025323.jpg (770.3 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
Tom19176

Re: Rizzuto Estileto Milano ID confirmation

Post by Tom19176 »

It is a swing guard made in Japan in the 1960s to 1970s. They were always considered low end knives, but they now have great collector value. They CAN sell for well over $100......
ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

Definitely a cult following for these low-quality knives. I have one in my collection because it brings back memories and is still cool to me. :) Not really a practical knife to carry by any means. The blade on this one looks a bit worn/sharpened so the value won't be as high. Nice find though - still fun to play around with!
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Certainly a very collectible piece for it's nostalgic value. What is truly a mystery to me, is despite the low quality materials used in production, there are so many examples that have survived 40-50 years. I'm glad to have a few in my collection, but scared to "play" with them in fear I'll be the one in 50 years that snaps it open for the very last time. Nice find!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

It's a Japanese Rizzuto. The blade sharpening is going to cut the value down to 50% or less of what it would otherwise be worth.

And that is one of the ones with a zinc rocker (those are prone to breaking) so be careful with it.
I'm glad to have a few in my collection, but scared to "play" with them in fear I'll be the one in 50 years that snaps it open for the very last time.
If yours don't have zinc rockers you can play with them without too much concern.
hearandgone

Post by hearandgone »

If yours don't have zinc rockers you can play with them without too much concern.[/quote]

How do you know which ones have zinc rockers?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

See how the OP knife has the flat top button with the even brass all around? That is the zinc rocker. The round top buttons that look like they are losing the plating near the bottom* have steel rockers. And any NS button ones have steel rockers.

*That isn't actually brass plating rubbed off. The button is solid brass and the steel-looking area is spill-over solder on the base of the button.