schrade cut. co. double switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
musicman

schrade cut. co. double switchblade

Post by musicman »

HI:

I am a new member and trying to find out more about my Schrade double switchblade.
Based on the tang, it was made between 1917 and 1946.
It is 3 3/4 inches long when closed and 8 3/8 inches long when both blades are open. I have read that this is the biggest one that Schrade made.

I can't find an image of a knife with the identical "candy stripe" handle on line and wondered if anyone might have more information. ie when it might have been made etc. Also, I intend to sell the knife and have seen what look, to my uneducated eye, prices ranging from $50 to $400 but I can't tell why some are so much more expensive than others.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
2017 SWITCHBLADE 8.jpg
2017 SWITCHBLADE 8.jpg (606.36 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
2017 SWITCHBLADE 9.jpg
2017 SWITCHBLADE 9.jpg (592.15 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
2017 SWITCHBLADE 6.jpg
2017 SWITCHBLADE 6.jpg (645.21 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
2017 SWITCHBLADE 4.jpg
2017 SWITCHBLADE 4.jpg (545.78 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
2017 SWITCHBLADE 3.jpg
2017 SWITCHBLADE 3.jpg (512.64 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
JimBrown257

Re: schrade cut. co. double switchblade

Post by JimBrown257 »

Some are worth more than others because they are either more rare or earlier models. And the condition can make it worth 5%-200% of any list value (if there is anything we could consider an agreed upon value). I think you have a pretty rare model there. Depending on the condition of that bigger blade, it could be worth a lot (other than that blade, it looks great). There is a guy who is considered an authority on these. I will see if I can get him to weigh in on this.
shursnap

Post by shursnap »

It is indeed the largest of the three different sizes of double switchblades that Schrade made. The medium measures 3 3/8" closed and the smallest measures 2 7/8" closed. The value depends upon several different criteria, but mostly on rarity and collector interest. The most important factor in grading and determining value is the condition of the blades. If the blades are full and in good condition pretty much anything else can be repaired, or replaced to improve the value of the knife so they represent about 70% of the value on most old switchblades. In your case the candystripe celluloid is both a blessing and a curse. Collectors love candystripe, but celluloid, especially candystripe celluloid is very Volatile and if it ever starts breaking down, which most of it eventually does, it will completely deteriorate and can destroy the entire knife in the process. Because celluloid is so unstable many collectors are not willing to take the risk and invest a lot of money in knives will celluloid scales. That said, your knife looks to be in very good condition with mostly full blades. There is some light pitting, scratches and patina, but good blades overall. The scales look to be in good condition.... for now at least :wink: Now I'd need some information on how the knife functions to give you a decent appraisal. Do both blades open fully when the buttons are pressed? When open if you gently wiggle the blades is there any movement? If so, how much sided to side, or up and down movement is there? (You can measure at the tip of the blade)
Life is not a destination.... but a journey. Don't forget to stop and smell the Roses as you go!

(Couldn't hurt to pick up a few switchblades along the way too! ) ;-)
shursnap

Post by shursnap »

Also, do the safeties operate proplerly?
Life is not a destination.... but a journey. Don't forget to stop and smell the Roses as you go!

(Couldn't hurt to pick up a few switchblades along the way too! ) ;-)