Russian Prison knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

Russian Prison knife

Post by gravknife »

Picked up this little Russian very cheap from Germany and thought i would share it here with you.

I still can't believe just how ingenious these knives are in their build design and materials used.....such as the cheese head screw button which both fires and unlocks the knife,and the blade and body of a normal stainless piece of cutlery,a nail flattened for the leafspring retained by a pin ,all hidden by khaki green plastic or bakelite scales.

It's no princess but has all the character of your favourite dog :)
I havn't touched it regarding cleaning ,but may give it a polish as It would barely fire when I got it due to gunk and grit dirt etc.....but a bit of WD40 and lithium grease cleaned it up well.

The knife is 7 inches overall with a very sharp blade that has unusual grind but very effective and sharp .It fires very well and looks a nice shape plus feels nice in hand ....well to me anyway.

I think this older knife dates to the 60s /70s but its hard to be sure .
I know some similar were bought here and I would be grateful if anyone knows anything more.
I have seen a similar one on another forum whilst searching with the same mechanism and scales ...it was made in DROHOBYCH jail in the Lviv region according to the author.

Interesting knives any opinions/ help gratefully appreciated and hope everyone is well.

gravknife
Attachments
20180224_114954.jpg
20180224_114954.jpg (1014.92 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
20180224_121621.jpg
20180224_121621.jpg (731.98 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
20180224_115047.jpg
20180224_115047.jpg (1005.34 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
lance

Re: Russian Prison knife

Post by lance »

Hi ian i have a couple runnisans like this one.pretty cool i like the jigged Scales
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Cool!
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Ian...that's a really cool, interesting knife. Now...for the possibly silliest question ever: "Prison Knife"? Naturally, I can read the words, but are you guys saying that this knife (and others used with this term) are actually made by prison inmates?? When I think of a shank used in prison, I think of a sharpened toothbrush handle LOL. Nothing as nice as this! These knives are actually "prison knives"?....THAT'S scary!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks Lance and Terry

Jules

I am dubious of the fact that these are made by inmates under the radar in Russian hellholes.
A heated and sharpened toothbrush or piece of perspex taped and sharpened is more believable for dispatching a would be rapist.

I believe that these" Russian Prison knives" were made as souvenirs for guards under allowance and supervision to make some extra cash.from the guards whilst having on site machinery for cutlery production ...how many were made to kill or protect behind the guards backs...well probably a few.
How many were made by released prisoners with a new knifemaking skill learned in Prison ....probably a lot.

To me it doesnt really matter...its the naieve looking yet brilliant mechanics and unique nature of these knives that draw me in.
This was 25 euros posted from Germany and i just can't stop ogling it and firing it and seeing it as a bargain.
It has basic engraving ,pleasing shape ,cool factor and is for all intent and purpose a one of a kind ,Blade has very little up and down play and its very sharp and fires well .

Thanks for looking and lets hope someone posts there examples and gives a bit more on the Prison aspect of these knives.

gravknife
Attachments
20180227_155744.jpg
20180227_155744.jpg (695.51 KiB) Viewed 2985 times
MrAlba56745

Post by MrAlba56745 »

This is a link to one of several Russian knives made in prison along with some interesting information and background on the practice. Had my eye on a similar one of the AK47 style at a fraction of the price, but someone else beat me to it. Crude yet elegant with a genuinely menacing vibe that reminded me of a line from standup Yakov Smirnoff: "In Soviet Russia, cold catches YOU."

https://autoknife.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3462
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Pricy bugger ain't it.
2024 candidate for president
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Great Knife MrAlba

Its a bit pricey but doesnt surprise me ...
Im sure someone could custom make you one for a lot less money than that .

Id be wanting the blade to shoot out kill someone and then return when i whistled it for that price Sammy.

I do love these AK47 named prison knives though...Bill did a real nice job of one in mop and blued steel and brass i think ...it .was beautiful.
Sure i saw a picture here when browsing a while back...unless the image thieves took it.

Thanks for the look at that cool knife and the link MrAlba56745.
I hope things are going well for you your end Sammy

Take Care mate

gravknife
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I wouldn't believe a word of anything written in the knife descriptions on the autoknife.com site.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I like it.
Fishtail Picklock
MrAlba56745

Post by MrAlba56745 »

Yeah, $2500 is way too rich for my blood. The one I was considering was the same style, and actually looked a bit better, for $700. Just as well that I missed out. For all I know the knife was a murder weapon, possessed by the spirit of the killer, then after I bought it I'd start having freaky nightmares and I'd wake up covered in blood with bodies under the bed or something. I think I saw a horror movie along those lines at one point ;)