Could someone explain the lack of enthusiasm?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

Re: Could someone explain the lack of enthusiasm?

Post by JulesVane »

Well...I DO agree with you there Fishtail, I don't "use" a bayo, kris or dagger for anything. In fact, I don't "use" a knife for anything other than cooking prep, cutting my food or buttering my bread. I DO use a utility/boxcutter all day long at work though. Collecting switchblades IS the only "use" I have for them.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

ya know, a few years ago they had some box cutters in auto.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

The point (no pun intended) I'm making is that while I admire the Italian knives, I prefer having blades that aren't a "one trick pony". Believe it or not, My Buck 110 "round button" conversion is so slick that it impresses everyone that snaps it open. They use it and comment on how much they like it. I smile and take pride in knowing that, in a small way, I have changed some minds about the "evil" switchblade knife.

Some tell me that they wish they had one. I tell them where they can shop for The Buck 110 Auto, The Ganzo Chinese knives (I have already spurred one man to buy a Ganzo Auto for his personal pocket knife).

A knife that can be put to good use changes more minds than any "play pretty".

Think about it.
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Lol... I thought about it and damn you are an annoying flicker.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

whippersnapper wrote:Lol... I thought about it and damn you are an annoying flicker.
...Where's that thumbs up button!!?? :D

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Fishtail Picklock

whippersnapper wrote:Lol... I thought about it and damn you are an annoying flicker.
Is that because I'm not in lockstep with the majority? I learned to think independently 50 years ago. Living in a college town helped. (I hated the "hippie" element). I'm sorry you don't care for my taste in knives. I refuse to alter my position for the majority.
If we all enjoyed the same thing, the world would be a boring place, wouldn't it?

You'll get over it.
Fishtail Picklock
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Relax, I tend to agree with your taste in knives. I value function much more than beauty. That doesn't mean everyone else is wrong...

You just get carried away sometimes. It seems like you are trying to "convert" everyone else to your way of thinking. You post the same thing again and again in multiple threads. You are a damn broken record or advertisement that plays over and over...Nothing wrong with a little enthusiasm...It's great to see someone with your energy, but I think most of us hear you loud and clear the first time you post.

Maybe I'm just becoming an old grouch...lol
Fishtail Picklock

I respect the priorities of others. I also appreciate the sleek lines and sensory thrills of the Italian stiletto (yes, I get a charge out of them too). I also love history, the fork-tipped automatic was particularly intriguing. I adore horn handles of all kinds and appreciate some differently colored polymer-scaled knives (cracked ice, black cracked ice, faux Ivory) stag and others.

I like seeing all kinds of automatic knives. please don't misunderstand me. There is a lot to be found in the Automatic world. IMHO, it is a "smorgasbord" from which one should be completely free to pick and choose their favorites.

We should understand and appreciate them all!
Fishtail Picklock
tequiza

Post by tequiza »

He hasn't changed much over the years :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1045&hilit=fishtail ... k+1st+post
Polish a knife, cook a pig, drink several beers
Fishtail Picklock

At least I'm consistent.
Fishtail Picklock
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:At least I'm consistent.
While no one is attempting to convert you to another way of thinking, you seem hell bent on telling everyone they are wrong and need to change their outlook. This is getting way past boring and annoying. Just chill out and enjoy the knives irrespective of their point of origin or utility. Life is too short to be squabbling over this stuff again and again.
Fishtail Picklock

No squabbling here. I hope everyone enjoys what they have/own. This is what is important.
Fishtail Picklock
MrAlba56745

Post by MrAlba56745 »

I can understand the lack of enthusiasm, the liking of flair over function. A Kershaw Launch to a high quality Italian stiletto is a bit like what a Ford F150 is to a Ferrari. That being said, 1) I'll take the F150 over a Ferrari for most actual driving situations I may encounter, and 2) personally I have much enthusiasm for some USA models. Microtech, Rat Worx, Protech, Benchmade, not to mention custom makers like Vallotton and Whiskers Allen... all of them have offerings that are quite capable of making me drool. And I also have a Kershaw Launch 1 in my collection. First rate blade and a VERY satisfying snap when I hit the go button.