Could someone explain the lack of enthusiasm?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Could someone explain the lack of enthusiasm?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

One of the few Italian automatics that are usually sharpened is my namesake. This is why I was enamored of the breed. Deck (line) work, general utility and purpose-built auto knives are what excite me. Utility doesn't always equal boring. Look at the Porsche Panamera, Chevrolet (Holden Monaro) SS or the Dodge Charger.
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

I am a fan of Microtech OTFs and I have two that are weekend-carry knives. I've considered one of the Buck autos now that the company is actually making them in an auto version.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I like them all. My collection consists of old school German and Italian switches and modern American made knives. The newer knives are coming with high grade steel and grippy modern handle material. Most of them stamp their blades out en masse and use a coil spring to launch the blade. Except for OTF's I prefer knives that use the leaf spring to power them. That's my way of narrowing the chase.
I see a large number of members here on this forum as a more sophisticated crowd with many years of experience in all aspects of the hobby. It takes a little more to get them excited but that doesn't mean they don't respect the newer collector and the knives he or she are buying.
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
Roccomo

Post by Roccomo »

If I’m looking at the original post correctly - in that the OP is wondering why the folks on this forum aren’t too hyped about modern American automatics - I’d have to guess that the membership here is mostly not the market for those knives.

I love knives, I love automatic knives and I acquire knives as tools to use. I joined this, or the previous version, of this forum because of all of that and, at the time, the relatively new opportunity to acquire knives that had long been forbidden. Italian stilettos were near the top of my list back then. But, Even before the internet became a ‘thing’, I’d already been in and out of trying to use a stiletto as a tool. Point is, my interest is in automatic pocket folders that are actual user knives and I don’t come onto this forum for that. I come here due to general interest in switchblades and classic Italians. And, I like to keep up with what’s new and what’s going on with them.

Panzerfaust wrote:I've considered one of the Buck autos now that the company is actually making them in an auto version.
Do it. If you’ve had a 110 then you know what the knife is. If you’ve never had one you will be shocked at just how awesome a knife it is.
Fishtail Picklock

I have a Buck Impact 898 (and like it). I also have a "round button" conversion that I have never carried and am selling. (I prefer the "Forever Warranty" that is now, and always has been provided by Buck Knives). There isn't anything wrong with the top-notch, leaf-spring, conversion, but the torsion spring assures opening under the most adverse conditions. The old "Practical Pig" male logic dominates my thought processes.

My parents were working people, and daddy was an honest-to-goodness war hero. Both were products of being raised during the Great Depression. Practicality was a way of life for them both. I inherited these thought patterns/processes from them (may God rest their souls). Father was born on 9/29/1917 and mother was born on 4/1/1925 if that helps everyone understand. I was the third of four children, and everyone has since passed on. My last family member (baby brother) died four years ago at the age of 56.

Roccomo understands my perspective. Knives are, above all else, tools. Italians are fun, but there is so much more to Automatic knives than one breed/type. I like the old Italians and have, ever since I was a child during the 1960's, but mom and dad's advice of "waste not, want not" has never left my mind.

Some things never change.
Fishtail Picklock
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:For American made automatic knives? (Buck, Kershaw, GT, Bear & Sons, Gerber, et al.).

What's the point of explaining the reasons and qualities of domestic knives if they don't garner any response?
You are not looking at the right group of knives. Try Microtech, Benchmade, and ProTech. These brands have voracious followers with many FB sites dedicated to the modern automatic. Microtech has not been in existence 30 years but many fellows collect the "vintage" models and their value has risen astronomically.
Last edited by fastr19 on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishtail Picklock

There are more US manufacturers than those in Italy. American manufacturers tend to hold tighter tolerances. While the Italians make great knives, the Americans, like the Germans and Chinese (yes, I said it) tend to make more useful tools rather than a romantic object of affection. I enjoy my Italian Fishtail Picklocks (I have two from AKC, one from AGA Campolin, and one from Frank Beltrame). My new AKC Speed Hunter, F-16, and AKC slimline routinely find their way into my pocket and come out when there's a bigger job to do.

I'll admit to having several (at least seven) Italian knives that are useful. My other "useful" knives are either Chinese, Taiwanese, or American. (Yes, I have at least three Benchmade knives). I enjoy all my knives and use them routinely.

Isn't that why they're made?
Fishtail Picklock
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:...I'll admit to having several (at least seven) Italian knives that are useful. My other "useful" knives are either Chinese, Taiwanese, or American. (Yes, I have at least three Benchmade knives). I enjoy all my knives and use them routinely.

Isn't that why they're made?
In part but those classic Italian stilettos are really "objects of affection" (great line :D) to us collectors.
Fishtail Picklock

From now on, I'll refrain from posting anything concerning American switchblades. By the way, my Buck 110 Auto (manufactured on 2/05/18) arrived today. This is the end of my discussion concerning the piece.

Good day.
Fishtail Picklock
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

I have Italians for the beauty and American for the usefulness. I also find both beauty and usefulness in American made such as Protech Brends. For me it's the Italians that hooked me on autos as a kid.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
Fishtail Picklock

hogwild wrote:I have Italians for the beauty and American for the usefulness. I also find both beauty and usefulness in American made such as Protech Brends. For me it's the Italians that hooked me on autos as a kid.
By the same token, you decided that growing up demands utility. There is little sense in owning thousands of dollars of cutlery that simply sits and looks pretty. I have given up on that. They serve little purpose.

You can drive Italian cars, but you cant use Italian stilettos. The blade profile doesn't lend itself to use. (Stabbing purposes only).
Fishtail Picklock
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:
hogwild wrote:I have Italians for the beauty and American for the usefulness. I also find both beauty and usefulness in American made such as Protech Brends. For me it's the Italians that hooked me on autos as a kid.
By the same token, you decided that growing up demands utility. There is little sense in owning thousands of dollars of cutlery that simply sits and looks pretty. I have given up on that. They serve little purpose.

You can drive Italian cars, but you cant use Italian stilettos. The blade profile doesn't lend itself to use. (Stabbing purposes only).
Many of us here are Collectors. A good definition of that terms is:

"Someone who collects objects because they are beautiful, valuable, or interesting".

Utility is rarely mentioned in regards to collecting. There is a difference between an art gallery and a hardware store.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

So...because you can't plow your driveway with a Maserati, you'd rather have a pickup truck? I've had Corvettes and Harley Davidsons that sit all Winter. I guess they'd be considered "serving little purpose".....??? (DARN! NOW he tells me!!)

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I started on cheapo china switchblades, all I could get. Then came bladeauction and I got interested in the Italian stilettos. I wouldn't say I'm a collector but I'm a accumulator of knives.
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

Who said anything about plowing driveways? Your "mixed metaphors" are rather confusing. How can you use a bayonet, kris, or dagger blade stiletto for general cutting purposes? I can drive an exotic on a daily basis. The same cannot be said of true Italian stiletto-type blades. Blade geometry is everything.

I'm all ears.
Fishtail Picklock