Shell Puller

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
MauserMachinist

Shell Puller

Post by MauserMachinist »

Good evening,

Just made a new account on here and first time posting. I was looking to buy a shell puller and saw one I liked on autoknives, but when I gave them a quick search it redirected to here with a resounding DO NOT. I tried giving a quick search through and found replacement blade, springs, etc. but not really a good place to snag one. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would sincerely appreciate it. If this is the wrong place to post this I will delete and repost in the correct location.

Thank you in advance for your time.
JulesVane

Re: Shell Puller

Post by JulesVane »

Welcome Mauser...What style/brand Shell Puller were you looking for? So many. Others here know better than me, but I THINK that site you mentioned might not be everyone's favorite.Probably, the Buy and Sell Forum with a WTB post would be appropriate, but now you've brought up a 2nd topic...that website and the re-direction to here.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
MauserMachinist

Hey there Jules.
Sorry for bringing up the second topic. And yeah, I was a bit worried afterwards that maybe the buy/sell would have been the better area to inquire.
To be honest, I don't know much about them myself. I just know I've wanted one for years after seeing Johnny pull one in The Outsiders.
Thank you for the response, I'll try my luck over on buy/sell then.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

None of the currently made shell-pullers are of the same quality as the 1950s-1960s knives.
If you want something authentic, you will have to find a vintage one, or have one built. Both options are expensive.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...now, how did I know you'd be looking for the infamous Johnny Cade shell puller! lol. Yes, the knife has been the topic of many a thread here on TB. A look-alike will be an easy find. The exact brand (German in origin, I believe), may be a different story. In the top right search bar, insert "Johnny Cade" and enjoy your journey! Again, welcome and good luck!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

MauserMachinist

Bill,

If you do not mind me asking, what would you ball park the costs at?

To everyone, sincerely, thank you for your replies.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

MauserMachinst: PM sent.
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Antiques- $250 up
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
MauserMachinist

Yeah, that's about what I was expecting. Thanks Bill. I liked your website and bio you had on there.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

MauserMachinist

Alls i can advise you is that patience is a virtue when wanting a shellpuller.
I too started here with the same desire 2 and half years ago and they are still few and far between even in europe where they were built and i live.

If you want a specific knife with certain traits you are better buying a modern hubertus and letting BillD work his magic on it.
They are superb and tailor made to your desire ,ie scales nicely crafted stamped pullers and blade nicks added,they also have the certainty of a full blade as my original 50s examples were built to use and sharpened accordingly on stones and grinders in many cases.

I have finally tracked down a near full blade very reasonably priced second example last year .....this after constantly looking and studying these interesting knives and reading excellent write ups here and on Ulfs blogspot which i highly recommend you do aswell.

If i had people in England to mangle and build knives i would have saved and pulled the plug on a custom hubertus shellpuller....these fire well and blade to handle proportions are very good...plus they are new and your own knife with personal preferences

Take a look here under Search for Johnny Cade as Jules suggested or shellpuller and have a good drool and read....it will help you get an idea of what knife you want.
Unfortunately many great pictures are now lost to the photo image thieves but enough remain

Good luck in finding your knife ...you definitely came to the right place here my freind.

All the best to you

gravknife
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Unfortunately, the well-made Italian SP knives are not accurate.
The Hubertus SP quality is so bad that I no longer even work on them.
The stuff on "that" web site that purports to be Italian is actually Chinese AND inaccurate.
I have not seen any custom or customized SP knives that impressed me, either.

I try not to self-promote here, but I seem to be the only source for accurate renditions of original German shell-puller knives.
I can convert Hubertus standard 11CM knives to SP configuration (NOT the Hubertus SPs!)
I can build you an accurate SP knife from an Italian spearpoint lever lock.
Or, I can custom build the entire knife.
None of these options are inexpensive, and pictures are on my web site.

So, your options are:
Be very patient and look for an original knife.
Purchase one of the Italian versions. (Your cheapest option.)
Purchase the Hubertus factory SP, and regret it.
Spend a lot of money for a customized or custom version.
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Bill is corerect in his expert advice.

Original:
DSC01808 (Medium).JPG
DSC01808 (Medium).JPG (149.66 KiB) Viewed 5915 times

Bill DeShivs Hubertus Shell Puller Configuration:
DSC00999 (Medium).JPG
DSC00999 (Medium).JPG (157.37 KiB) Viewed 5915 times
DSC01000 (Medium).JPG
DSC01000 (Medium).JPG (229.2 KiB) Viewed 5915 times
DSC02410(1) (Medium).JPG
DSC02410(1) (Medium).JPG (178.08 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
Last edited by eddymunster on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MauserMachinist

That top knife is gorgeous Eddy, I'd only swap out to a black handle if I could. The middle on on the bottom picture with the black handle, that's perfect. That's basically what I'd like.
eddymunster

Post by eddymunster »

Thank you, it is a Bonsa and is my most recent. The black handled one is stamped Solingen Germany and is aluminum or zinc I think, not as heavy as the others, it was my first vintage.

The 3rd from the right is very close to the style Johnny had. Notice the shellpullers are a different shape and it has the nail nick, it is my favorite.

The far left is a Hubertus with the factory pullers and I think it is quite ugly.

Four out of the eight have been through Bill's DeShop. :lol: