Making Italian Scales

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
trentu

Making Italian Scales

Post by trentu »

Hi. Got a bag of clean parts from a friend. All parts are there except the safety. it is an 8" OAL knife stamped Italy. The horn scales cracked off it and it means a lot to my army buddy to get this fixed for him. I'm sure I can redo it if I can get tips on how to rehandle one. Any tips or tutorials you know of? I tried a search with no results. Is it hard to make a safety lever? Thank everyone.
JimBrown257

Re: Making Italian Scales

Post by JimBrown257 »

It is pretty easy but your first few scales probably won't be all that great. You just take a block of (whatever) and cut/sand it to be the right length. Then drill the hole and carve out the area for the button pieces. Then lower that over the scale, drill the four holes, put pins through at least three of the holes and sand the sides of the scale to be flush with the liners. Then take the scale off and sand the scale to make it rounded. Then sand/polish it and cut the safety slot. Put the safety in and pin it to the liner.

And the safety is pretty easy. I HATE modern safeties so I generally make something like a old-time safety with a body that fits over the two-piece modern button set-up.
trentu

Post by trentu »

Jim do you have a pattern for the safety or dimensions I can work off of?
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I just use a piece of .032" brass sheet and cut something like this (old safety on top, new kind on bottom). Then cut the top so it is about 1/16" higher than the scale and solder a cap onto it. Just make sure the body fits under the scale and the front will fit under the button. And notice the little diagonal at the bottom of the front of the modern one. That is so it doesn't get snagged.

If you want a regular modern safety, I think I have some. It can be tough to bend them into place so they move well and work properly but if you want, I can send you one.
Attachments
Safety.jpg
Safety.jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If the knife means that much to your friend, you would be much better off sending it to someone who repairs knives professionally.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
trentu

Post by trentu »

Thanks for the offer Jim. I'll try and make one first. I have a doming block that I can make the button. Your drawing was a big help. He's on a fixed income so a pro make over isn't in his budget.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

No problem, I am glad to help. And that doming block is not how you want to do it. Just solder a piece of NS, brass or non-stainless steel to the safety body and then pivot it on a sander or cutting wheel to make it round, then polish.