I Love My AGA Campolin Pick Locks

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Gunhawk

I Love My AGA Campolin Pick Locks

Post by Gunhawk »

The first new switchblade that I bought in over 20 years was a Frank Beltrame 11" swing bolster, and after only a few fires the blade began to loosen. Not horribly, but enough to be noticeable. The second one that I bought was an new AGA Campolin 11" pick lock, and this baby is *tight* after firing it as many times as the Beltrame. So, after not much deliberation I bought a second new AGA Campolin 11" pick lock. And again, after firing it as many times as the Beltrame it's still as tight as a clams butt. Now I understand that swing bolsters there is going to be more of a chance of play in the blade, but I am *very* impressed with Campolin pick locks. I can see absolutely no difference in quality with Frank B.'s, and at the price of just $119.00, with free shipping, they are, IMHO, a *steal*! I'd recommend one to anyone!
Fishtail Picklock

Re: I Love My AGA Campolini Pick Locks

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Point taken.
Fishtail Picklock
DonC

Post by DonC »

In general you can't get hurt too badly with an AGA product. I have a number of them in my collection and haven't yet been stung.
DonC

A few of my AGA 13's
Attachments
AGA 13 trayi.jpg
AGA 13 trayi.jpg (308.81 KiB) Viewed 3877 times
Gunhawk

Post by Gunhawk »

DonC wrote:In general you can't get hurt too badly with an AGA product. I have a number of them in my collection and haven't yet been stung.
DonC

A few of my AGA 13's
Nice collection. Where did you get the display box. Mine's too small for my collection.
mick17

Post by mick17 »

Whoa Don what's that one 3rd from the right? Is that a 2003 13" picklock in french tip?

All those are awesome by the way. You should be very proud. Hopefully the new 13" AGA's will be impressive as well.

-Pat
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Gunhawk wrote:
DonC wrote:In general you can't get hurt too badly with an AGA product. I have a number of them in my collection and haven't yet been stung.
DonC

A few of my AGA 13's
Nice collection. Where did you get the display box. Mine's too small for my collection.
Nice display cases at customdisplays.com
What a beautiful collection DonC!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
DonC

Post by DonC »

Thank you Gunhawk, Mick17 and JulesVane for the compliments.
The tray is one of 13 that a local cabinet maker made up for me. They are sized to fit in a couple of unused dresser drawers.
All of the knives shown are from the 2003 run of 13's that AGA produced. A couple of them have been mangled by folks from here or from the SD forums.
I just got bitten by the bug when I got my first one so I scooped up any more that I found on the auction. I can only verify the scale material on a few of them. I tend to acquire on the basis of visual appeal to me when it comes to scales.
DonC
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thats a stunning collection DonC
Keep going with that Visual appeal ....its working just fine .
You can pick some knives out for me if i can end up with a collection like that.

They look beautiful

Ian
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Beautiful knives. I love all the dark horn being displayed. This truly is the beauty of the knifemaker's art.

Thanks for showing us, Don.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Quite the collection, thanks for showing.
2024 candidate for president
DonC

Post by DonC »

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words. My collecting has really slowed down and I've become much more selective in my acquisitions. Still check the auctions daily looking for those pieces that grab me by the throat.
DonC
hearandgone

Post by hearandgone »

DonC

A few of my AGA 13's
That's a beautiful collection of knives and a great looking display. Are the knives held by some method so that they won't move?
Charlie
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: I Love My AGA Campolin Pick Locks

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Out of respect for the Campolin and Beltrame families, I corrected the spelling of their names.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
DonC

Post by DonC »

Charlie: The bar in the center of the tray is magnetic so the trays can be mounted vertically if I ever feel like it. They do become slightly magnetized over time but a swipe with a degaussing (spelling?) tool takes care of it.
Thanks to Bill and the rest of the Moderators for keeping us honest when we post to the Forum. We appreciate it.
DonC
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

very nice set you have there DonC,love it.