I put a "bug" into the bonnet of Blade Play & Blade HQ

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

I put a "bug" into the bonnet of Blade Play & Blade HQ

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I explained to them that many people are having problems with people buying Italian knives and trying to press them into EDC/light use. So many have been disappointed and have been complaining about their lack of performance.

This has resulted in their posting of a disclaimer at the bottom of each and every Italian automatic knife that they sell about their lack of suitability for EDC/daily use. Bill DeShivs believes that some of the Italian knives are compatible with light work or easy pocket duty (so he told me). I simply feel that people need to be advised of their "collectible only" status. Perhaps this should be discussed at greater length and bit more openly on the Forum.

Questions? Comments? Opinions?
Fishtail Picklock
Luke_of_Mass

Re: I put a "bug" into the bonnet of Blade Play & Blade HQ

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Commendable effort on trying to reach the often-times ignorant shoppers of these main-stream stock photo websites - but some folks can't be helped. A co-worker of mine keeps trying to sharpen his bayo-blade stiletto so it performs better in the work place where we cut polybanding and plastic skid wrap on a regular basis. After kindly telling him that this is not a place to use such a knife he straight up told me to "fuck off" ... now I just roll my eyes and watch as the blade gets thinner and thinner, waiting for the day the safety gives way and stabs him in the ass (he keeps it in his back pocket, sits on it, ect...)

Bladeplay has implemented the "best use" part of the description probably for this very purpose:

Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Not sure this is new for them as for a few years they have listed "best use". I carried a non auto 11" stiletto for years as a teen and used it for fishing and daily cutting for many years......
Fishtail Picklock

The Bayonet, Kris, and Dagger blades have but one true "real world" use. The "snowflakes" of the world recoil in horror at this unavoidable truth. The Flat-ground blades can be effectively used for slicing and cutting.

People have been fed (and believe) the Hollywood malarkey that because a knife has an automatic opening mechanism that it becomes little more than a tool for evil. Ah, the "magic" that is "Tinseltown". :roll: *puke*
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Sharpness is driven first by geometry and second by blade material. I have a flat grind made of 1095, but it won't sharpen well because the 5/8" wide x 1/4" thick blade is still too 'wedgy' (greater than 30° of included angle between faces). You are correct that 95% of stiletto style automatics are better at stabbing than slashing. Frosolones tend to be wider and thinner so that they are decent cutters. Most enthusiasts like thick blades, like 5mm style. Your choices are "looks good" or "works well". Tactical autos go the other way with wide and thin blades, I can design to give you a cutting edge and make it look like a stiletto, but I will have to compromise all factors to get there.

You are absolutely correct that Hollywood does a lot of things for story excitement. The cool knife in Eye of the Needle is a prime example. Conceptually it's a long bladed OTF that fires out of your sleeve, but my opinion is that it was mostly special effects. I've looked at the design and tried to come up with a way to build it and carry it in a sleeve rig. I found myself working in .0001" increments. This thing needs a watchmaker to construct and high precision CNC equipment, plus then you have to design the sleeve rig. It doesn't look much like the shots from the movie. In Hollywood they can create multiple versions to show it's deployment, fire with compressed air out of your sleeve, then edit everything and add sound effects. That's show business and I am totally entertained, but that doesn't mean that it can be accomplished with a single, real-life mechanism. The Ben Hur wheels on James Bond's DB4 in Goldfinger not only extend from the front axles, but then they rotate in the opposite direction. That's cool, but practically impossible. People will believe what they want and will cling to ideas that they know are fundamentally unrealistic. Blade Play understands the reality and is trying to not generate unhappy customers. The fault is not theirs.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Fishtail Picklock

You and I are on the same page, Dave. After having a real "working" automatic in the house as a child, I have always tended to rebuke Hollywood's characterization of the automatic knife. I have always admired reality over cinematic sensationalism.

I instigated the editorial appendage to their Italian Stiletto description/narrative. I don't want to appear egotistical, but I'm somewhat proud of that. This helps the uninformed and neophyte avoid buying something that will disappoint and leave them feeling both frustrated and unfulfilled. The right tool for the job, I always say.

Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware).
Fishtail Picklock
Gunhawk

Post by Gunhawk »

Depends on what we you mean by "light use". I have an old beat up stiletto switchblade on my desk that I use for opening letters, slicing the tape on delivered boxes, cutting string and cord, cutting the plastic wrapper of stuff, etc. A few days ago I even used it to bend a contact into shape on a battery recharger. There are a *lot* of light duty uses for a one handed opening knife, if you don't mind messing up the knife. So no, I don't think that they are collectible only. I wouldn't use one as a prying tool, except maybe to shuck clams, but that's just common sense.
Fishtail Picklock

Gunhawk wrote:Depends on what we you mean by "light use". I have an old beat up stiletto switchblade on my desk that I use for opening letters, slicing the tape on delivered boxes, cutting string and cord, cutting the plastic wrapper of stuff, etc. A few days ago I even used it to bend a contact into shape on a battery recharger. There are a *lot* of light duty uses for a one handed opening knife, if you don't mind messing up the knife. So no, I don't think that they are collectible only. I wouldn't use one as a prying tool, except maybe to shuck clams, but that's just common sense.
Unfortunately, "common sense" isn't as common as it should be. Sadly,some individuals that constitute the younger generation can't be relied upon for stellar thinking. Some people must be told more than once. At times they possess the attention span of the common housefly. In Broadcasting/ Advertising industry we had an old maxim. It ran as follows:

1) Tell them you are going to tell them,
2) Tell them what you want them to know,
3) Tell them again what you told them,
4) Tell them that you told them.

Speaking with some people is like talking to a black hole. Information goes in, but no one can seem to find it.
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

Fishtail Picklock wrote:
Gunhawk wrote:Depends on what we you mean by "light use". I have an old beat up stiletto switchblade on my desk that I use for opening letters, slicing the tape on delivered boxes, cutting string and cord, cutting the plastic wrapper of stuff, etc. A few days ago I even used it to bend a contact into shape on a battery recharger. There are a *lot* of light duty uses for a one handed opening knife, if you don't mind messing up the knife. So no, I don't think that they are collectible only. I wouldn't use one as a prying tool, except maybe to shuck clams, but that's just common sense.
Unfortunately, "common sense" isn't as common as it should be. Sadly, some individuals that constitute the younger generation can't be relied upon for stellar thinking. Some people must be told more than once. At times they possess the attention span of the common housefly. In Broadcasting/ Advertising industry we had an old maxim. It ran as follows:

1) Tell them you are going to tell them,
2) Tell them what you want them to know,
3) Tell them again what you told them,
4) Tell them that you told them.

Speaking with some people is like talking to a black hole. Information goes in, but no one can seem to find it.
Another saying we had in Broadcasting School... "The public is an idiot." (Ain't it the truth)?
Fishtail Picklock