Is there a way to improve the kickspring?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
blademan

Is there a way to improve the kickspring?

Post by blademan »

I was wondering, and search gave no results about this, is there a way to improve
the kickspring so that the knife opens a bit faster?
My latest acquisition is excellent all the way excep that it opens a kinda slow, the kickspring sits deep inside the handle
unlike my other knifes that kick like a mule and the kickspring sticks out a bit.
It's not a big thing i can live with it, but i think the best place to ask is here. :)
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Is there a way to improve the kickspring?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I'm sure that Bill DeShivs can replace the kick spring/back spring. It will not, however, be inexpensive. His labor charges may make this less than feasible unless you have the financial resources to make it happen. I'm not trying to discourage you, but it can become quite costly. It may not be cost-effective. Only you can make this judgment.
Fishtail Picklock
blademan

Post by blademan »

Thanks for quick reply, i dont live in the states so the S&H will be another thing to keep in mind and to take in consideration
I hoped there was a do it yourself way to it but that's out of the question i guess :)
it's one of the 70th Anniversary AGA Campolin 11" Picklock's.
I love this knife, it's excellent the only thing is the kick is a bit weak.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I wouldn't risk doing it yourself. Bill DeShivs will get the job done and make the knife an outstanding piece. (It is probably worth $250.00 USD) Bill's work is beyond reproach. He is considered by many to be one of the best knife repair/refit men on the face of the earth.

I refuse to doubt his capabilities.
Fishtail Picklock
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

blademan, I knew you were referring to the 11" AGA Anniversary Picklock even before I read on. I (and other members) also felt the snap a bit "lazy" on some examples of this particular piece. Others have made no comments. Not sure if it's a hit or miss issue or not. At $118 shipped from Angelo directly and he picked out the horn himself on mine, I decided to live with the weak kick. Just wanted you to know, the "issue" is not with yours alone.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I can't accept work from out of the country.
There is nothing that I can recommend that you can do to the spring.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
blademan

Post by blademan »

Thanks JulesVane, Bill DeShivs and others that replied here,it's the only piece i own with a bit weak kick,
but like i said i can live with that, it's a great knife for that price, i got a 10% discount on it so i don't complain.
It's not really money that mattered in this, such a great looking and build knife, with a bit weak kick.. :?
I was just wondering what the experts had to say to this matter, and if there were others who noticed it.
Both my questions are answered, and i thank you.
hogwild
Location: Proudly chasing the dollar to "share" with parasites

Post by hogwild »

Sometimes with a weak kicker; the way you hold it while opening can help. Try different grips or positions of holding. Just a thought.
The worst evils which mankind has ever had to endure were inflicted by bad governments.
Ludwig von Mises
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Dave Doyle told me about a device that Frank B used to improve a weak snap. From what I gather, it was not at all sophisticated as it just levered the kicker a bit further away from the back spring. Dave worked on one of my 13" AGA Campolins and applied that fix plus one or two other things. I did notice a slight but not significant improvement. Now much to attribute to the FB tool is open to debate.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Those tools bend the spring at the tip, rather than at the base. It's not something I recommend a novice trying.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

For what it is worth Grandpa Campolin stated more than once that too strong a kickspring causes premature wear with a stiletto. Having written this, I must admit I like a good strong snap :)

Jim
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I'm going to guess you already oiled it. Is the pivot tighter than the ones on other knives, when you movie the blade with your fingers is there more resistance than on your typical auto? If you can make the pivot looser without causing too much blade play, you should be able to get it firing harder. If you need to replace the pivot, however, it can be a real pain as AGA pivots are sometimes tough to get out.
blademan

Post by blademan »

The way the blade moves, i think it's not an issue of tight pivots or something like that,
the blade moves smooth, yes i used the oil but that didn't help much, i think it has to do with the kickspring.
It sits fairly deep compared to my other stiletto's.
Firing it from different positions helps a bit.
Other then that it's a perfect knife one of the best i own.