Why doesn't Campolin make a light horn picklock?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Gunhawk

Why doesn't Campolin make a light horn picklock?

Post by Gunhawk »

Blade Play only has dark horn Campolin pick locks. Now that I have a dark horn 11" pick lock from AGA campolin, and i'm *very* impressed with the knife, i'd like to find one in light horn as well. So does Campolin only make a limited run in a specific color horn?
JulesVane

Re: Why doesn't Campolin make a light horn picklock?

Post by JulesVane »

Are you referring to the 11" Anniversary Picklocks? Come to think of it, you're right. I don't recall much of Angelo's pieces in blonde horn.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
john

Post by john »

Blonde horn and what is called French tip blonde horn make very attractive knife handles. The French style blonde horn in my opinion is more attractive than the typical blonde and it may be harder to come by. French tip style scales can cost twice as much dark brown or Brazilian horn. What I’m thinking is that the Brazilian horn is more popular. I’ve only been collecting for about 12 years and in that time I have seen many more knives scaled in darker colored or Brazilian horn than any other scale material.
Last edited by john on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Gunhawk

Post by Gunhawk »

JulesVane wrote:Are you referring to the 11" Anniversary Picklocks? Come to think of it, you're right. I don't recall much of Angelo's pieces in blonde horn.
Yes I am. And there are none at Blade Play.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Even Angelo's online store doesn't offer in light horn. Only Brazilian, Stag, Abalone and Imt. Pearl. I think the best option would be to have one re-scaled. But, that may not be cost effective at all. I really have no other ideas.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Hi guys funny i was just thinking about this yesterday lol for many years the italian makers only used blackhorn,blondhorn and stag , few different woods and plastics then i would say over last 10 years they just started using the brazilian horn again as it had not been used on italian stilettos since 1960's or 70's . so ever since they started using brazilian the blond does not get used much anymore but is still readily available . French tip horn is just that a solid end tip of the horn ( not hollow part ) this is why it is real expensive . Frank Beltrame still uses regular (not french tip) blonde horn on his swinguards and regular stilettos but you dont see AGA use it much anymore . i know some of you like blond horn but from a selling standpoint the blond was not great seller like the brazilian horn so blond was replaced with brazilian . you like blond horn i will mention something to Angelo to maybe consider using it little more than he has been :)
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

I had written back & forth with Angelo a short time ago, asking if he could basically re-scale a current item that he had in stock with a material he was using on another item. In my simple mind, and we discussed it, all that had to be done was a simple cut (since the new material was obviously available) and re-scale the item I wanted scaled in that material. I wouldn't think that a difficult request for the Campolin workshop. I naturally offered to pay in advance. Well, the end result of the entire conversation was that he could/would do it, but when they did an entire new production run of the item they already had in stock. I just don't know why he couldn't take a less expensive scale off an existing knife, add the requested scale material and sell me that knife at a higher price. Maybe Bernie could have better luck at getting it done than I had lol.

Gunhawk

Post by Gunhawk »

I guess that explains it. More men want black than any other color. That would be my *first* choice too. But for a display, all black, or even with a some nice black & white horn, you're going to want to see a little color. Or at least I do. To my taste Brazilian does look beautiful, but I don't recall ever seeing that kind of horn back in the 1950's. So there's the lack of nostalgia angle. After all, the ads back then were for "Black Beauty" stilettos, not for Blonde Beauty.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Well, after all, modern picklocks are more or less an homage to the past, and, I suppose it would only be natural to at least have products like this in mind to allude to:

Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Gunhawk

Post by Gunhawk »

...and don't forget that they have "jet like speed in desperate hunting and fishing emergencies". Sure, everyone needs a stiletto in a fishing emergency. That's what the guys in my old neighborhood on the Lower East Side of Manhattan would have wanted one for. Fishing emergencies. LOL
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

JulesVane- you don't understand how these knives are produced.
What you asked is basically like asking a car dealer to change out a motor before you buy a car.
They just aren't set up to do it that way. Knife handles are made by an independent supplier, and ordered in quantities. One set of handles is not available. Stopping production to rescale a knife would cost them money-and as I said-the handles are not available like that.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Bill. I knew it had to be much more complicated than I would have thought. I'm sure Angelo would have obliged if possible.

METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

man its kinda strange how stuff works over there lol , years ago when the 13" picklocks were first made back in 2003 the entire run of 290 pieces were all blackhorn and blondhorn me i wanted the old brazilian horn but the italian makers just would not use it for some reason probably because they had large stock of blackhorn and blondhorn that had to be used , the very first knives i had made in Brazilian horn were from Oreste Dibon the little 4-1/2" picklocks were made in brazilian horn, french ti horn, sambar stag , mammoth ivory shaved and mammoth ivory bark, the second maker that used brazilian horn was Renzo Beltrame on 7" 8" 9" 11" and 13" stilettos i had custom made then Angelo caught on and uses it on different models now Frank B on the other hand dont use brazilian on certain knives , the Latama knives made by Frank Walter actually buys the brazilian horn then sends it to Frank to use Frank dont stock it himself so he seldom uses it on any knives he does use it now and then but not much only on the Latama line he uses it alot. hope this helps guys lol it is complicated .
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Luke_of_Mass wrote:Well, after all, modern picklocks are more or less an homage to the past, and, I suppose it would only be natural to at least have products like this in mind to allude to:

Wait just a minute, junior. Dad owned his Carbon steel Fishtail Picklock long before gang members were using their "toad-stabbers"/"pig-stickers" came into vogue. I believe father had his as early as 1936-1938. Hell's Angels came into existence in 1946. They were disgruntled WW2 Veterans that rode motorcycles and began using drugs and raising Cain.

Father's switchblade was damned useful and saved him from losing his arm (and probably his life) at the Bremerton Naval Ship Yards in 1946 before being shipped off to Antarctica during Operation "Highjump" with Admiral Byrd for hydrological studies.

Need I go on?
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

METALGOD wrote:man its kinda strange how stuff works over there lol , years ago when the 13" picklocks were first made back in 2003 the entire run of 290 pieces were all blackhorn and blondhorn me i wanted the old brazilian horn but the italian makers just would not use it for some reason probably because they had large stock of blackhorn and blondhorn that had to be used , the very first knives i had made in Brazilian horn were from Oreste Dibon the little 4-1/2" picklocks were made in brazilian horn, french ti horn, sambar stag , mammoth ivory shaved and mammoth ivory bark, the second maker that used brazilian horn was Renzo Beltrame on 7" 8" 9" 11" and 13" stilettos i had custom made then Angelo caught on and uses it on different models now Frank B on the other hand dont use brazilian on certain knives , the Latama knives made by Frank Walter actually buys the brazilian horn then sends it to Frank to use Frank dont stock it himself so he seldom uses it on any knives he does use it now and then but not much only on the Latama line he uses it alot. hope this helps guys lol it is complicated .
Who is Frank Walter? Do you mean Walt Haruccha?
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."