Rick is shipping my new AKC slim line within 24 hours.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Rick is shipping my new AKC slim line within 24 hours.

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

This AKC lever lock should be a nice addition to my carry rotation. The "swedge" blade has a certain appeal to it. Does anyone own one of these? How amenable is it to pouch, or pocket carry?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Re: Rick is shipping my new AKC slim line within 24 hours.

Post by sammy the blade »

I have one but Ron mangled it for me and I would never carry it. I think it will do what you want though.
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

How did he "improve" the knife? Was it simply cosmetic?
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

Cosmetic, but it's beautiful! I use a cheapo for my cutting needs.
Fishtail Picklock

Don't drag my sister-in-law into this! (By the way, they'll be harpooning hunting for her next week off Washington State's Cape Disappointment).

Does the configuration of the Chinese knife work well as a carry/cutting implement?
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

It does if it's a ganzo.
john

Post by john »

I really like those 6” mini leverlock knives. I customized these three: White MOP, Blue MOP Laminate, Blond Horn
Attachments
37A262B2-2158-49DF-A6A6-D019B74C9653.jpeg
37A262B2-2158-49DF-A6A6-D019B74C9653.jpeg (272.02 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
D2F344D9-46D4-49EA-980B-DEB69296E72F.jpeg
D2F344D9-46D4-49EA-980B-DEB69296E72F.jpeg (590.61 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
BC99AEC1-EF45-40FB-A75A-68C9BB7EA251.jpeg
BC99AEC1-EF45-40FB-A75A-68C9BB7EA251.jpeg (445.41 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Fishtail Picklock

john wrote:I really like those 6” mini leverlock knives. I customized these three: White MOP, Blue MOP Laminate, Blond Horn
Lovely knives. Have you purchased any for personal use? The 3.25" handle and the 2.5" blades on those little lever locks seem handy, "pocketable" and quite useful.

Are they?
Fishtail Picklock
sammy the blade

They sure are some lookers.
Fishtail Picklock

I have a "sneaking suspicion" that this knife will be a marvelous "EDC" knife. I live in the PNW on the east slopes of Oregon's Coast Range. These knives are great pocket knives because they virtually disappear on your person and magically "reappear" when desired. Those rescaled knives look great but do they collect too much pocket lint and grime for pocket use?
Fishtail Picklock
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Hate to tell you this but the AKC slimline leverlock model is the reason I've stayed away from AKC for the last couple of years. Not sure exactly which slimline you ordered, but the one I got from bladeplay was exactly like this one except it had dark horn scales.

I went through not one, not two, but three of them. Each of them were carried for about 3-4 days before the trigger sears wore out and they were popping open in my pocket. No, I was not rapid-firing -- I'm talking 5-10 deployments per day at the newspaper processing facility where I work.

Bladeplay, god love 'em, was nice enough to continue sending me new ones until eventually I just got fed up and asked for an Armando Beltrame stiletto which I had to offload at a slight loss at a knife show in order to recoup at least some of my money. Bladeplay wouldn't refund me - can't say I blame them... I can only imagine how much of a hit they took on the entire batch :|

So here's hoping that was just a bad batch, that I got three of, and AKC has cleaned up their act / improved the quality of the material in their lever/sear assembly's since then (I'd say this was Spring of '16) because honestly I've had clone Leverlettos that functioned better.

I sincerely hope your model works out, and that you keep us posted about it, and that it exceeds all expectations to restore my faith in Campolin's "affordable" line. But hey, if it doesn't, at least you got it from one of the best sellers there is in the Italian spring steel scene, and he will probably be happy to make things right if you don't dig it.

Post pics when it arrives! :oops:

<edit>

Just noticed those customs of yours, John... my god you did a hell of a job on them! Very beautiful! Fantastic work!
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Fishtail Picklock

Luke:

I'm certain that you know that I bought mine from Rick in Minnesota. Rick imports these directly from Campolin in Maniago. I'd be willing to gamble that this particular run is from late 2017. If its any indication, the Speed Hunter I bought is just fine and seems to be working rather well.
Fishtail Picklock
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Many thanks for the update on that, I've actually had my eye on one of those for a little while (albeit a wary one) and hearing success stories from fellow collectors definitely influence my switchblade indulgences far better than the product reviews of stock photo listings on sites like bladeplay/ops ... since 2016 or so onward I'm exclusively buying only from collector-dealers around here; I've gotten a lemon or two, but overall quality has been better on average and guys are much more understanding when things go wrong...

But I've got just one question; Rick's inventory has seemed to be trickling out via sharperdeals kinda slowly and I've not seen any AKC stuff from him in ages.. does he have another site where you can browse his stuff? Or is it more of a deal where you email him and he takes state-side orders for periodical bulk shipments from Maniago?
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Fishtail Picklock

Dave Sause (I Like Stilettos) must have emailed him concerning me because Shursnap and Rick contacted me through the internet and offered me the knives I eventually bought. Rick does sell on Sharper Deals but I haven't been following him there. I have been emailing and chatting with him. Rick is a good man and is pleasant to deal with as are Dave and Shursnap. My AKC Slim Line is due Mondy Jan. 29th at the latest. As you know, I'm more of a user than just a collector. I like useful tools. (It is why I buy them).

Strange, eh?
Last edited by Fishtail Picklock on Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fishtail Picklock
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Yep, the little old matchmaker, me. I actually spoke to them via Facebook Messenger and sent them your email address and comments.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."