Which are the best quality Switchblades?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Lostronin1928

Which are the best quality Switchblades?

Post by Lostronin1928 »

Both modern and vintage?

I'm relatively new to switchblade collecting but ever since I was a young child I've been enamored with them. For a plethora of reasons.

I'm looking to build my collection with some high quality pieces that will hold up to lots of use. :D as in opening them repeatedly!
Fishtail Picklock

Re: Which are the best quality Switchblades?

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

American (SOG, Buck, Kershaw, Pro-tech, and others) Some German, Italian and even some Taiwanese (Boker Plus) and Chinese autos (Ganzo) are excellent. Buy some Ganzo knives through FastTech and use the daylights out of them. GO NUTS!

Welcome to the hobby. It is addictive as hell and it is like eating Lay's Potato Chips (It is damned near impossible to stop at one)! ;)
Fishtail Picklock
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

If you're looking for European knives - most of what the folks on this forum collect, Mikov leverlocks and Frank Beltrame's B-stealth are my personal carry favorites. The AGA Campolin 'Zero' which is a blend of the first two I mentioned is apparently OK too but in my opinion not worth the money.
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
Fishtail Picklock

Lostronin1928 wrote:Both modern and vintage?

I'm relatively new to switchblade collecting but ever since I was a young child I've been enamored with them. For a plethora of reasons.

I'm looking to build my collection with some high-quality pieces that will hold up to lots of use. :D as in opening them repeatedly!
If you're looking for a "click therapy" knife, buy a Colonial Switchblade. Thes employ coil springs that are less inclined to fatigue with the continuous opening(s). Save your shekels and buy yourself a SOG Spec-Ops II. The clip-point 4" blade will cover your larger tasks and is built to work.

Enjoy!
Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock

I'm having Rick ship me a Stag Speed Hunter manufactured by AKC of Maniago Italy. These little gems are outstanding pocket knives! With a 3" blade they can slip into your sports jacket/blazer pocket and go virtually unnoticed until they are needed. If you are wearing jeans, they're even better. Just make sure that you blow out the lint that collects in the locking mechanisms (Firing and locking back parts). This will assure smooth operation. Gently sharpen them either on a stone or alumina ceramic crockery sticks to put a razor-sharp carry edge and you'll be good to go.
Fishtail Picklock
Lostronin1928

Post by Lostronin1928 »

Thanks for all the information everyone!

I like the Italian style classic switchblades best, but all push buttons are beautiful!!

Who makes the finest Italian traditional style knives? Will I need to go vintage??
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Lostronin1928

The vintage italian picklocks and transitional knives are beautifully made.
They have D stamped thick brass liners ,fat Backsprings ,Nickel silver bolsters ....lined with brass if its a transitional swivel bolster ,and very thick blades .
They fire well and have beautiful horn that is fitted nicely.by the Maniago cottage industry.

The modern autos by F Beltrame ,and AGA Campolin are beautifully made in the style of the older pieces aswell.Nickel silver solid bolsters,fat springs and choice of horn to abalone shell scales.
If you take a look in blade pictures you will see some beautiful examples of both old and New and will know which appeals to you most.

Then there are Walt's Latama and Renzo Pascutto collaborations to tempt you ,due boi, S ardinian knives
Then there are custom knife builders that work wonders from scratch or just make switchblades out of this world like Bill D ,Straydog ,muskratman and Jimbrown and Picklock Pats (a fine quality builder here)to discover and ponder and yearn over .

Take your time and browse here.There are many gifted and knowleadgeable people here who will help you decide ,and are great to buy from .

I myself like the older knives and heres a few for you ,but lately I am being drawn towards the newer ones i mentioned earlier , as the older knives come with older mechanical problems sometimes and there are no manglers /repairers here in the u.k.

Great to meet you and welcome.
Why not get one of each old and New and build from which you like best.

All the best

Ian
P.S.
Have a chat to Dave Sause (Ilikestillettos )about custom build or moderns in general,he has a lot of contacts and does knife designs and will give good advice
Attachments
DSC_0016.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg (156.15 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
2015-09-12 11.57.04.jpg
2015-09-12 11.57.04.jpg (45.2 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
20180108_122639.jpg
20180108_122639.jpg (465.96 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg (205.72 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
Fishtail Picklock

Ian,

That's a beautiful "cracked ice" transitional picklock and I love the magnificent horn on the 23cm transitional picklock. (You sure know how to steal a man's heart, don't you)? ;)
Fishtail Picklock
Lostronin1928

Post by Lostronin1928 »

So many beautiful Switchblades. Wow.
Found this today too. Anyone familiar with them? Some amazing looking knives.

http://www.burnknives.com/browse.php?category=4
Fishtail Picklock

Many of us have known Paul Panak and his work for years. His knives can cost as high as $2700.00. Most range between $1600.00 and $2200.00 they are works of art.

Paul is an ardent Christian and insists on being the best in his work.
Fishtail Picklock
Lostronin1928

Post by Lostronin1928 »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:Many of us have known Paul Panak and his work for years. His knives can cost as high as $2700.00. Most range between $1600.00 and $2200.00 they are works of art.

Paul is an ardent Christian and insists on being the best in his work.
Well I'm behind the times! I've never seen such amazing knives!
Fishtail Picklock

Paul is a true artist. The likes which are rarely seen anymore.
Fishtail Picklock
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Burn Italian.
Fishtail Picklock

I just learned that Buck is producing its 110 Auto Elite. The "Elite" meaning that the knife sports an S30V blade. It retails directly from Buck for $250.00. This is good news because Buck's quality is legendary and the S30V blade is about the best steel you could have on an automatic Folding Hunter.

From this point on all that you could do is have Nickel-Silver bolsters and either Stag or Light/Dark Horn scales. You would be doing little more than personalizing, "gilding the lily", don't you think?
Fishtail Picklock
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:I just learned that Buck is producing its 110 Auto Elite. The "Elite" meaning that the knife sports an S30V blade. It retails directly from Buck for $250.00. This is good news because Buck's quality is legendary and the S30V blade is about the best steel you could have on an automatic Folding Hunter.

From this point on all that you could do is have Nickel-Silver bolsters and either Stag or Light/Dark Horn scales. You would be doing little more than personalizing, "gilding the lily", don't you think?
...I gather these fancy Bucks that Walt refers to as the "Elite" model with 420HC are much, much different. https://latama.net/collections/buck-110 ... lite-b-101

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)