Frank B?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Gunhawk

Frank B?

Post by Gunhawk »

I have an 11" dark horn stiletto that is faintly marked "Frank B Italy". My assumption when I bought it was that it is a Frank Beltrame knife, but after firing it a few times, nor excessively, the blade is beginning to loosen up. I have an old pick lock that hasn't loosened even a little bit. The blade is tighter than a clams butt. So I was wondering. Can I expect this from all modern 11" stiletto's? Or did I just get an inferior one?
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Frank B?

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Swivel bolster knives can not be peened as tightly, because the bolster has to move to close the knife.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

This seems to be the trend with the bolster release Italian automatics. Remember, these are a "cottage built" knife and the tightness of build are not as uniform as it is with those built by automation. This is why I favor the Picklock over the bolster release models. The bolster release types have been produced since 1954.

The reason my handle if Fishtail Picklock is because father carried a rare 10 3/4" Carbon Steel Fishtail Picklock during WW2 and Korea. This was a tool that he used on the deck of many a small ship (Destroyers and Minesweepers). As an old Navy man, I prefer to carry one as well. My recent acquisition is of AKC extraction and is twenty years old. Believe it or not, these can be used as "working knives" and are not as common as the ubiquitous Bayonet, Dagger, and Flat grinds. The long, "California Clip" on the Fishtail lends itself to utility far more than the traditional stiletto configurations.

Thus endeth the lesson.
Fishtail Picklock
Gunhawk

Post by Gunhawk »

Thanks guys. I suspected that the pick lock would remain tighter. Bill, do you suggest Campolin for a new pick lock?
Fishtail Picklock

I like Frank B but they emailed me yesterday and said that they aren't producing any. AKC knives are good, and Campolin knives seem okay. I have had good luck with AKC. (This, coming from someone that prefers a brushed steel finish on his blades).

I hope that this helps.
Fishtail Picklock
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

If I were going to buy a new Italian stiletto, it would be the 10" AKC model.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Bill DeShivs wrote:If I were going to buy a new Italian stiletto, it would be the 10" AKC model.
Good advice. The AKC people seem to have a tighter rein on quality control as well as "fit and finish".

All the best.
Fishtail Picklock
john

Post by john »

FYI for those who may not know...
Just want to put this out there: 3knives.com website, AKC, AGA, A.G.A. Compolin all are owned by Angelo Campolin.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

It's too bad Frank B pretty much only makes picklocks as limited runs every few years - after all, these limited releases are largely what brought the picklock back! His quality control in general is pretty tight (for Maniago, anyways), but the QC he implements on his picklocks is really something else. Pick up and hold/play with an 11'' Walt's or a 9'' BEF picklock and you will know what I mean. I say if you get a chance, snatch up a Frank B. pick and you will not be disappointed 8)
Knee-deep in the hoopla...