11" Stag Kris

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
VOSGTC

11" Stag Kris

Post by VOSGTC »

One more knife in the drawer that needs identified better. 11 inch, bolster release. Stag handle. Tang marked "STiLETTO (over) ITALY" The "i" is lower case, the rest is capitalized. No other markings that I can see. Brass liners.

Manufacturer?

Age?

Value?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/072r1l56b8a1x ... 4.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tyf8vlyls9ov0 ... 5.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hy0um33l9ryor ... 6.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m336io44rinqe ... 7.JPG?dl=0
VOSGTC
Votin’ Out Spoken Gun Totin’ Conservative
Luke_of_Mass

Re: 11" Stag Kris

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I believe this is a modern stiletto produced by Renzo Beltrame - stiletto italy is the stamp he tends to use for most of his "production" runs - I put production in quotes since he really only produces custom orders for dealers, in contrast to Frank Beltrame who makes a mass run of something, then stocks and sells them himself.

Some of Renzo's custom Brazilian horn 'lettos are un-stamped, and I've never seen a knife with his actual name stamped on it.

This particular piece might fetch you a hunnert on a good day. As Renzo is probably the least famous of the Beltrames, it makes for a nice obscure piece for the display cabinet :)
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

It's a pretty cool modern Italian one. It can be tough to find real nice looking stag on the modern ones but that one looks pretty good.
john

Post by john »

Good looking Kris blade stiletto!!!
Is the “i” lower case or is it possible the stamp is a little bit worn? I can’t recall any Renzo Beltramre with a lower car “i”
Has any one else seen one?
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
VOSGTC

Post by VOSGTC »

If it were a capital "I" it would have connected with the right top part of the "T". I have to use 30X glass to get good view. I do not have access to a macro lens to share the view.
Maybe later today, I can try for a cleared pic.

Looked again. The T & I seem to have a light strike, while the rest of the letters are full and well formed. The "I" could be capital, only struck on the lower portion of the letter. It is not worn, however. There is no wear on the area of the tang stamp.
VOSGTC
john

Post by john »

I’m going to look at a few of my R Beltramre knives. I wonder if any of mine have the same stamp. I’m thinking the die he used may have been worn.
John

Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

john wrote:I’m going to look at a few of my R Beltramre knives. I wonder if any of mine have the same stamp. I’m thinking the die he used may have been worn.
Almost all my Renzo Beltrame pieces have this same stamp. It is indeed getting warn as hell over the years lol. Here's one of his 'standard' dark horn bayos I happened to have laying on my desk:

And the Stiletto Italy makes an appearance on his pearlex run, too - might be tough to see, but this photo wasn't taken with the stamp in mind:

The only Renzo Beltrame knives I've got without this stamp are the customs Bernie sells which are not stamped at all. These don't tend to change hands much I think - I saw one of his un-stamped bayo's on SD last year but that's it. They get snapped up and hoarded, and with good reason; they're gorgeous and very unique for the age of standardized cutlery we live in today:

My lackluster phone's camera really doesn't do the latter pieces justice, and reflection is a bit of an issue with them - the blades have a very fine mirror finish as opposed to the more beadwashed appearance you find on Frank's knives.

I'd love to see anyone else's Renzo Beltrame pieces! He is definitely one of the more obscure master cutlers in the Maniago scene...
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
john

Post by john »

Renzo Beltrame is WAY under rated. He doesn’t get the credit he deserves.
John

VOSGTC

Post by VOSGTC »

FYI

The knife sold on ebay for $237.50 & 12 shipping.

Thanks for helping me ID the knife.
VOSGTC