Origin of Swivel Bolster

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
VOSGTC

Origin of Swivel Bolster

Post by VOSGTC »

When was the swivel bolster first used?

Why are new knives made with Picklocks, when the swivel bolster is so much easier to use?
VOSGTC
Votin’ Out Spoken Gun Totin’ Conservative
gravknife

Re: Origin of Swivel Bolster

Post by gravknife »

VOSGTC
I think Latama had swivel bolsters as early as 1954 ,and they were used on Transitional knives from 1960 onward.

I think people like picklocks of today being made in the fine quality sturdy form of the old knives ,and keeping up the tradition of the old italian makers .

I love both types myself.

gravknife
john

Post by john »

What Ian said and...
A well made pick lock’s lock tab should be easy to lift. If it’s not it can be a real painful experience.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Latama held the patent on the swivel bolster. They were only used on some of the square-button knives.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

gravknife wrote:VOSGTC
I think Latama had swivel bolsters as early as 1954 ,and they were used on Transitional knives from 1960 onward.

I think people like picklocks of today being made in the fine quality sturdy form of the old knives, and keeping up the tradition of the old italian makers .

I love both types myself.

gravknife
Thanks for letting me know, Ian. The swivel bolster isn't my favorite, but it works. My favorite is the picklock (big surprise there) and the button open/close, the lock back and the plunge lock. The latter three are tied for second place. It is akin to choosing a child that you love most. All designs have their advantages and drawbacks. The locking of the blade in both the open and closed positions is the prime function of the mechanism.

Since I was born on December 1st, 1954, the swivel bolster is a few months older than me! 63-64 years is a long time.

Fishtail Picklock
Fishtail Picklock