Gravity version of an OTF Switchblade?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

Re: Gravity version of an OTF Switchblade?

Post by Tom19176 »

Panzer what does the tang stamp say? That one makes me think Spain......
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Tom19176 wrote:Panzer what does the tang stamp say? That one makes me think Spain......
Rostfrei and Made Italy.
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Dave_Syn wrote:I'm new to knives so forgive my lacking descriptions. Other than the switchblades I want, I also want to get a Gravity knife or two.

I'm not saying I want one exactly like that, it's just the only example I could find where there is both a switchblade and gravity version. I don't care about color or minor design differences or anything. As long as it's a gravity version of a standard switchblade, I'm sold.

Where can I get one of these?
OK, let me take a slightly different approach to answering your request. First off, I am an engineer and knife designer as well as a collector, so I think about knives not only from the aesthetic, but also mechanical perspective. The short answer about why you can't find the gravity knife is that they are all but non-resistant, and the reason they didn't get produced is extreme design difficulty.

It can be done, but It's not easy, and to get a matching pair like you describe pretty much means they have to be designed and built to your specifications. The issue is the push bottom operation from some point along the side of the scale.

If you will look at Gravknife's third picture, the all metal Bonsa, those I believe can be had in both gravity and single action OTF. They will be mostly vintage and I suspect won't have the look you want.

Most of the subsequent pictures are what is commonly called a "trapdoor" knife, a switchblade, and generally in the $500+ range. Most OTF switches are double action and the firing method is via a slide rather than a button. Single actions use a button, but must include some type of external cocking mechanism and a sear hole near the point plus another at the ricasso. The blade must move in a track. Regardless of powered or gravity, the blades are always more narrow and shorter than the handle. Now the button has to operate dual rockers. There are many nice gravity knives out of Germany, but they typically have a kind of top button, not a round push button.

Sorry for the long reply, but you are going to have to think how you want to do this and how much you are willing to spend.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Ok Thanks! The shape of it reminded me of the OTFs I saw in Spain in the 1970s!
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

hhi guys just picked up a few rare otf straight from italy . these were found just recently in the old factory where these were made ,i know they are super hard to find knives i was told the daughters of the makers were cleaning out the factory and found these few left in a small box , they were offered to me so i bought them all :) anyone know what these are worth these days ? i was told by seller the ones with the wire on side are more rare than ones without wire on side ? anyone have any info on company who made these knives ? Thanks Bernie
Attachments
JULY 2019 115.jpg
JULY 2019 115.jpg (495.89 KiB) Viewed 8213 times
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...Bernie finds all the cool stuff!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)