"Flick" knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
VOSGTC

"Flick" knife

Post by VOSGTC »

What does the term "flick" mean when used in the switchblade world?

When I was in high school, I carried a non-switchblade lock back knife that I could flick open with my wrist.
VOSGTC
Votin’ Out Spoken Gun Totin’ Conservative
JimBrown257

Re: "Flick" knife

Post by JimBrown257 »

It seems like "flick knife" is just a synonym for switchblade. It might be an English slang term.

Though, it doesn't seem contextually correct as a switchblade is more of a "press knife". A flick knife would be more like the kind you had, where actual flicking was involved.
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

It is a British term for Switchblade knife. Ian Fleming used it in the book Thunderball. Both the Aussies and Brits call the Switchblade a "Flick Knife" (ask Gravknife, he'll tell you).
Fishtail Picklock
john

Post by john »

VOSGTC wrote:
When I was in high school, I carried a non-switchblade lock back knife that I could flick open with my wrist.

That’s exactly what it originally meant. Law enforcement and legislation lumped a group of knives that could be opened one handed including switchblade, wrist flick knives and others into the same category. Definitions become blurred and knives are miss labeled.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

VOSGTC

As F.P says here in England we do still refer to them as "Flick knives "
In fact it is only since joining here at talkblade that i am now referring to them as switch blades .

In 1981 we went via ferry and coach on a holiday from Hull via Rotterdam to Cologne and Hilden in Germany and we had been told by older school members 5th years (who had been there a few years before ) about amazing shops with wall to wall knives of all types and more importantly there were flick knives .

The most coveted coolest knife to carry and own as young Mods at that time was the "flick knife ".

As far back as i can remember they have always been known this way over this side of the pond.

gravknife
john

Post by john »

It never occurred to me that different countries and regions of the same country could use different words to describe the same item. Not only do people and goods cross continents but language does too.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
VOSGTC

Post by VOSGTC »

Thanks for the info. VOSGTC
VOSGTC
Votin’ Out Spoken Gun Totin’ Conservative