The Knock off of a Rizzy

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Tom19176

The Knock off of a Rizzy

Post by Tom19176 »

I can't believe what this went for! They use to sell for $10.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rostfr ... 1438.l2649
JulesVane

Re: The Knock off of a Rizzy

Post by JulesVane »

Tom19176 wrote:I can't believe what this went for! They use to sell for $10.....
I've been watching all the Rizzutos going wild on eBay Tom. I can't believe it! I'm not exactly sure what's going on. I saw a 7" go for $405, then the Korean clone you linked to for $425. Others in the $250+ area! They are also coming out of the woodwork for sale as they are getting such great (crazy) prices for them. Collectible, sure! But...Geez!
The look on that buyer's face, when he opens his new purchase to find that cheap plastic & tin piece will be priceless. Talk about buyer's remorse!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
DonC

Post by DonC »

Could it be that more automatics are getting by the epolice and the listings lasting longer than a day or two so the audience has longer to react?
DonC
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

I was amazed by this one...It does seem there are more listed and they seem to last to the end now.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

I have a customized rizzy I'd let go for a whole lot less than that.
2024 candidate for president
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

Tom19176 wrote:I can't believe what this went for! They use to sell for $10.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rostfr ... 1438.l2649

:o :o :o
Belmont800
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The FES brand is Frederic Everts Solingen. Knives are Japanese.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Bill I almost never disagree with you, BUT I saw a few gross of these back in the 1990s at KO American Trading ( a Korean Importer) with the same marking. Solid white or Red boxes directly imported from the Bell metal company in Korea......That was after Japan stopped making these and they took over. I assume they were made for FES under contract after Japan slowed down on making these. There were other boxes of them with different markings too......The material used on the handle is the same as the NATO OTFS Bell made and many others.......Could I be mistaken? Possible, but there knife reads Korean.....
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

That's crazy! I haven't been buying anything in a while, but it does appear that the ebay police are backing off. I wonder if they will change their policy if the federal law is repealed which from what I understand, may happen. Knife Rights and American Knife & Tool Institute are working on this and have a least one sponsor.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

But, what is it about the Rizzuto Estileto Milano that has eBay bidders going so over-board? The "movie switchblade"? Certainly can't be the quality. Other switchblades of much better quality aren't getting anywhere near the same attention.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

JulesVane wrote:But, what is it about the Rizzuto Estileto Milano that has eBay bidders going so over-board?
I think there are people who find them on Ebay and think there is no where else to get knives like that so they think if they want one, this will be the only chance they will ever get.

Also, if you look at the ones that end at an insane amount, they usually start very low. There is one step-bolster that has been listed for a few weeks now with a starting price of $450 that has gotten 0 bids. Yet there are less desirable models, like the OP FES, that started relatively low and ended up selling for about $450. It's because with a low starting price, the seller actually gets bids. Those bidders have zero intention of going as high as $450 but because they are now taking place in a competition, they really don't want to lose. So they just keep bidding more and more. I always tell people this (hell, Ebay even tries to tell you this when you list) you always start low. Few listen.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Tom-
I'll defer to your expertise on these. They may very well be Korean. I had a brand new one in about 1973.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

I don't know if that is the Korean model. It looks very much like the Korean ones but they are slightly smaller and notably cheaper if you handle them (which is like cheap knock-off of a cheap knock-off). They have the same general look, textured scales and peak reducing liner thing, but the capless safety, short blade, huge hole for button and open areas of liner are all different from the Koreans. And it also seems like the Korean ones always say "Korea" somewhere on them.

I'm pretty sure the EBay one is one of these. There are a few different colors and variations but they are all the same basic knife. I have heard these were Chinese and I've heard Taiwanese.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (237.76 KiB) Viewed 4570 times
unnamed[1] (2).jpg
unnamed[1] (2).jpg (68.33 KiB) Viewed 4570 times
2.PNG
2.PNG (788.7 KiB) Viewed 4570 times
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Thanks Bill. The texture of the handle material is always a first thing I look at. The grainy plastic look has long been a sign of the Korean company Bell Metal. The box in the last picture also is the type favored by Bell when they used a picture and marked box. The main reason I feel confident with the maker is the fact I saw so many of them when I visited the store in NYC in the 1990s. Big brown box with a 144 ( gross ) of them in it, marked Bell Metal Company Korea.....There were OTFs ( NATO, Super Automatic), Lever Actions, and two different size swing guard Rizzy knock offs. They sold for $6 when you bought them by the gross....lol....What an investment that would have been as per todays retail.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Jeremy...So that's what that bulge at the bottom bolster is? A "peak reducing liner thing". I always wondered why that was that way! So, they anticipate it's going to peak eventually? lol