AGA Campolin Zero Dagger Leverlock

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

AGA Campolin Zero Dagger Leverlock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

These have an N690CO blade. This premium steel assures cutting power (even though it is a stiletto blade). It seems well built and could be somewhat utilitarian as long as the blade can have a decent edge put on it.

Does anyone have any experience with these knives?
Fishtail Picklock
john

Re: AGA Campolin Zero Dagger Leverlock

Post by john »

I don’t, but I am interested in hearing what people have to say who own them.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Peteymcsweety

Post by Peteymcsweety »

Hopes on getting one soon maybe ill write a review.....
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

They're solidly built, to say the least, and the fit and finish is up to modern production knife standards with none of the 'rustic' handwork that characterizes classic Italian knives. The blades are centered and straight and lock up like a vault; mine have no hint of play in any direction.

The dagger blade comes moderately sharp and would probably take a passable working edge, but the bevels are obviously too narrow and obtuse to make a good slicer. The "bayonet" grind--really just a high flat grind with a small swedge--would be a better choice as a user, but for my tastes, these things are just too thick and heavy at 6 ounces for comfortable carry.

The "inverted leverlock" design is fun to operate, but firing the blade is a little fussy ergonomically compared to a standard leverlock. The design requires a bit of fumbling to keep your tender digits clear of the blade path while applying sufficient pressure to the firmly sprung lever. The dual kick springs propel the blade with real authority, and you can really feel them resisting when snapping the blade into the handle (watch your fingers around the lever when closing the knife; it snaps like a mousetrap depending on how it's positioned).

Here's one from AIK in mammoth ivory with a full polish, fileworked liners and gold screws. As far as I know, this was the first one they customized, or at least the first to show up on their site.

sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks good, bladeplay had them but not like that one. They really did a nice job on that knife.
2024 candidate for president
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Thanks. Yeah, whoever fit the scales did a good job, especially the way they're carved out and contoured to accommodate the lever and its spring. The polished ivory is a bit slippery, so you really have to grip the handle just right when releasing the blade. It fires hard enough to fly outta yer hand if you're not careful :shock:. AGA normally supplies these puppies with grippy checkered G10 scales for a reason.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

It's truly a beautiful knife you have Corvus (one of many beauties you have). AIK does a real nice job with the custom work. I believe the owner's (Barry's) Son does the customizations. Really nice!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Thanks, Chris. They sign their work inside one of the liners, but it's hard to make out the name. I always keep an eye on their "what's new" list. They come up with some real gems. I bought one of those AGA 10" from them a while back.

Best,
Rick
DonC

Post by DonC »

Nice one.
DonC
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

Pretty knife.
john

Post by john »

Absolutely one awesomely scaled knife. The mammoth is stunning. The filework looks perfectly done. Fantastic knife.
It looks like a lot like a Mikov with S guards.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Thanks guys.
JayAK80

Post by JayAK80 »

JulesVane wrote:It's truly a beautiful knife you have Corvus (one of many beauties you have). AIK does a real nice job with the custom work. I believe the owner's (Barry's) Son does the customizations. Really nice!
That’s correct Andrew Adams does the work. He is fantastic. I have numerous automatic knives that Andrew has customized.

Corvus that’s a great knife!

As for the zero I have two, both customized by AIK. They are solid knives. Mine have the anodized aluminum in orange and purple.
Attachments
F408C9C1-3729-4D8C-AB3D-6C7B47D3EB3E.jpeg
F408C9C1-3729-4D8C-AB3D-6C7B47D3EB3E.jpeg (298.53 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
043CB464-3A39-432A-84F3-52E30A2E3A55.jpeg
043CB464-3A39-432A-84F3-52E30A2E3A55.jpeg (289.66 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
54301BF0-9342-493C-BB41-05BDC03136AC.jpeg
54301BF0-9342-493C-BB41-05BDC03136AC.jpeg (293.16 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
1C3EF463-11CD-4C06-90AA-7F42BAA9AAE5.jpeg
1C3EF463-11CD-4C06-90AA-7F42BAA9AAE5.jpeg (253.83 KiB) Viewed 5676 times
JayAK80

Post by JayAK80 »

Corvus wrote:Thanks, Chris. They sign their work inside one of the liners, but it's hard to make out the name. I always keep an eye on their "what's new" list. They come up with some real gems. I bought one of those AGA 10" from them a while back.

Best,
Rick

I’m glad you mentioned this detail. I’ve never noticed it!

Thanks.
Corvus

Post by Corvus »

Jay, those are sweet looking Zeros. Don't think I've ever seen the bayonet blade with a polished finish. It looks great with the filework. Nice to see someone else who appreciates brightly colored knives. I've always gravitated toward bold colors over the black and grey that seem so ubiquitous these days.