Is there a way to make a Stiletto easier to open?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
heath

Is there a way to make a Stiletto easier to open?

Post by heath »

I am sort of new to knives, I don't know a lot of details about them, but I do have an Italian Stiletto, and I have questions about it. First of all, it's old which is probably the reason I have the following issue. Basically, I have had trouble opening the knife, I know how to open it obviously, it's unlocked, but the thing I don't like is that I have to push the button really hard. I have marks on my fingers from opening it, and I was wondering if there was any way I could make it easier to open. I tried putting oil inside, but that obviously didn't work to well. If anyone has a way of making it so that I don't have to press so hard, please let me know. Just a reminder though, I don't know a lot about knives so don't judge me please.
whippersnapper

Re: Is there a way to make a Stiletto easier to open?

Post by whippersnapper »

Does the button push in easy when the blade is open?
heath

Post by heath »

whippersnapper wrote:Does the button push in easy when the blade is open?
Yes
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Push a little harder.
2024 candidate for president
pappy57

Post by pappy57 »

See that little hole in the blade? Put oil in that.
john

Post by john »

The sear pin which holds the blade in the closed position may be getting stuck on the brass liner and/or the button assembly is twisting under the force of the spring and again is getting stuck against liner. The spring puts a lot of pressure on blade in the close position. In the open position the button functions properly.
Also, the hole in the liner that the sear pin pass through may no longer be round. The friction of the sear pin against the liner repeatedly opening and closing the knife under the pressure of a very powerful spring may have caused a worn spot on the liner further exasperating the problem.
Can anyone else help?
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Could you post a pic of the knife this is happening with? It could be any number of things. If you wanted to have it fixed it and it is a knife that is worth it, it most likely could be fixed.
john

Post by john »

Is the liner warped? Like Jerry said, “could be a number of things” and a it could be a combination of things.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Send the knife to DIll DeShivs I am certain that he can assist you with this problem. You need a professional to make certain that the knife is repaired correctly so that you will not be unhappy and frustrated with it.

Blessings.
Fishtail Picklock
pappy57

Post by pappy57 »

Just gotta ask. Did you try putting oil in that "little hole" in the blade? If so,did it help at all? ....and for anyone paying attention that was not a joke. I had an AGA Maltese that was the same way,took care of it right away. Of course I had to KEEP it oiled up. Not a permanent fix by any means but if you're on a budget it's better than nothing.