swedge blade derby bolster age please

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
gravknife

swedge blade derby bolster age please

Post by gravknife »

Hello all at TB.

Just picked up this 8" wasp bodied derby bolstered knife.I have always liked the look of these bolsters and i hope derby is the correct term as i have seen other topless bolsters on past threads here.

The knife was the cheapest switchblade i have ever bought as it was in amongst a group of unloved knives .
It was pictured in the closed position so i knew the blade was peeking slightly but also it could have been totally shot and the mechanism broken but i liked the look of the old brass knuckles and bid 14 euros for the whole lot and won :) ....plus 4 euros for the postage .

The box arrived with the postie just as i was going out to the chemist .I knew it was my knives with the" Royal Uni" on the box...a bonus here where i live is when a knife escapes the customs ..
I quickly opened the package , leaving all the other knives just praying the switchblade may be salvageable and to my delight and surprise when i pressed the button it crunched with rust but fired the blade out half way .
I put some DX spray grease down the button hole and where the blade swivels and left it to soak whilst i was forced out to go to the chemist before it shut half day :roll: .,reminded by the wife that my "precious knife "would still be there when we got back.

Racing back like the fast and the furious i got my first proper look at the blade and it was in a lot better condition than i had thought ,marked INOX and carrying a few sharpening scars it hadnt been messed with too much .
I closed the knife and it still had a tiny bit of peek but when i pressed the button it fired out with a bang and had minimal movement .The BOBC worked better ...less crunch .I finally moved the safety aswell although it needs alligning in time .

T1he knife is nicely built ,it has steel liners and stainless furniture except for the button and safety which are nickle silver ,they were black but are cleaning up well .
Swedge blade .
Dark horn front scale green obverse cleaned up well enough for now ...i havnt touched the blade though.

Can anyone tell me about this knife ?I have seen 1 other here but it didnt have the swedge blade .
It is a heavy knife and reminds me of a B rostfrei but slightly older.
I hope someone can tekl me if its italian /French?
Age and maker and do these all have swedge blades ....how many sizes and types.

Thanks in advance for any help its greatly appreciated.
Hope everyone here is well.

gravknife
Attachments
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg (20.3 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
20171118_120942~2.jpg
20171118_120942~2.jpg (726.06 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
20171118_120926~2.jpg
20171118_120926~2.jpg (913.31 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
20171118_121016~2.jpg
20171118_121016~2.jpg (758.3 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
sammy the blade

Re: swedge blade derby bolster age please

Post by sammy the blade »

It cleaned up nicely, good score on the group!
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

Great score, brother! I have always liked the BO/C pattern and the Derby/Swedge is an even bigger bonus!

Excellent!
Fishtail Picklock
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That Derby Bo/c is probably from the 60s. I've heard people suggest they are Italian but I think it is possible they could be Japanese. There are some B0/cs that are definitely Italian but they are different from these steel liner ones. There are a few things about the construction of these ones that don't seem very Italian. If anyone has any more info about them I am curious to learn more.
john

Post by john »

Hi Ian,
It’s lovely. Wonderful addition to your collection. Someday I’ll add a derby to my collection. I like the broad full blade and the swedge is awesome. I’ve seen some derby style bolsters guards that are flush with the scales. posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=263156
Jerry made a good point some of these were made in Japan. I haven’t learned how to tell the difference. I’m guessing Bill D can. Regardless of country of origin it’s a wicked cool knife.
Congrats,
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
lance

Post by lance »

This is definetly a 60s derby bolster.it looks to have cowhorn scales.the short swedge,the pressed steel stepbolsters w the tab under the gaurds on the inside& the tb construction reminds me of the all metal bobc from italy but the lack of attention to details,says japanese.im on the fence on this on..ill have to compare it to the ones i have.
Nice score!! Congratulations!!
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Thanks for all comments posted here .Sammy F.P, JimBrown John and lance.

Thats why i posted this knife ,just to learn ,as the only bobc derby example i can find pictures of has no swedge but looks just like this.
I have a bobc italian but not with a derby bolster and it is definitely of better construction .
It has N/S bolsters ,brass liners ,lined bolsters and a fatter spring.
The overall spring polish and scale pinning is nicer on the this knife now i look at it.

The derby has D stamped steel liners ,N/S button and safety but stainless bolsters and a thinner backspring more reminiscent of later italians .
The blade is stamped INOX like 4 of my transitionals not stainless as i perceive japanese kmives were marked.

The pinning of the cowhorn scales isnt as nicely done as italian knives either but they are lifting from the steel as this wasnt a looked after knife .

I have no knowledge at all on japanese knives tbh and i hope someone can pin this down to italian or japanese so future collectors will know.
I will be happy either way as i have no japanese knives or derby bolsters and the cost was minimal with no deception by the seller .

I hope your all keeping well and buying knives and its great to hear from you.

Regards
Ian
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

The blade is stamped INOX like 4 of my transitionals not stainless as i perceive japanese kmives were marked.
You're right that "Stainless Steel" does seem to be the favorite generic stamp of the Japanese but they did put "Inox" and "Rostfrei" on some of them.

I bet that somewhere out there, there is a steel liner derby bo/c with a stamp that says either "Japan" or "Italy".
The derby has D stamped steel liners ,N/S button and safety but stainless bolsters and a thinner backspring more reminiscent of later italians .
That stuff is more reminiscent of Rizzutos.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Jim

Thanks my freind for the reply and info .
I believe you may be right that this isnt italian ,but a Japanese take on one.

I was in a poor position for comparison as to identifying it as a japanese knife as i only have one rizzutto and its a later FES Rostfrei example.
I know how many Japanese knives you have repaired and handled Jim and they probably jump out at you now when you see them ......but even with my laymens knowledge this derby's build quality and look/feel just isnt 1960s italian. .

Im pleasantly surprised though as even this japanese knife isnt bad ,buffalo horn the blade quality is good ,it fires well and locks up tight and the mechanics are good, just the peaking issue lets it down .

It also gives me something new to look at with these switchblade knives .I havnt as yet read anything about japanese knives ....but i would love a proper old rizzy one day .

I'm going to take a picture of the backspring later for comparison ,i have just tried to post one but files too big . :roll:

I hope alls well with you Jim and hope to speak soon.
Ian
PS
Are there lots of these knives about for sale or is it still sought after and collectable?
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Quite a bit of info and varying opinions on the Sharperdeals forum. Here is (was) a good thread until photobucket decided to remove most pictures...I'm still pissed about that...So much lost history of pictures that is gone forever.
http://www.sharperdeal.biz/forums/viewt ... =38&t=4706
Must join the forum to read the posts.

I was always led to believe these were Italian but who knows?. My foggy memory seems to remember a bunch of parts coming from Italy years back. It seems like Bob (sharperd) got them and I think Dick (smallfoot) may have assembled some.

Here is one that I have that is similar except without the swedge.
derby.jpg
derby.jpg (36.47 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
derby1.jpg
derby1.jpg (37.93 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
derby2.jpg
derby2.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 3757 times
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

That one looks a little different. The guards seem less flat and rounder at the tips. Is that just how the pic makes it look? Do the liners go all the way to the end of the guards or do they only go half way.
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Terry

Thanls for kindly posting that knife its a beauty 8)
It looks to be of more solid and well finished construction than my knife.
Love the horn colour and the pins look nicer finished .The guards do look more rounded and slightly different ...the wings on my example are totally flat..

It has no swedge as you say like the example i had seen whilst searching here on TB , but many photos were missing which is as you say is a crime .
I notice it says Rostfrei in angled script like some transitionals back then .

I cant get a membership on SD i have tried and given info many times but get no confirmation .
Would love to read the informative posts there.

Take care Terry and look after yourself.
Its great to hear from you .

Ian
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

I need to find it to look at it closer. It has been awhile since I checked it over close and my chemo brain ain't as sharp at details as I used to be.
ljerr2

Post by ljerr2 »

Really cool little knife! I remember having one like it...........wish I still had it!
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

JimBrown257 wrote:That one looks a little different. The guards seem less flat and rounder at the tips. Is that just how the pic makes it look? Do the liners go all the way to the end of the guards or do they only go half way.
The liners only go half way on mine.