How does F. Beltrame now mark his knives

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ronm007

How does F. Beltrame now mark his knives

Post by ronm007 »

I have several knives I purchased from Frank Beltrame, through his website. I actually had some questions about the order so called and talked to Frank via phone. When I received the knives I was surprised that I didn't see his name on the blades of the knives. Most knives are marked "Stilleto Italy" one has "Inox" on the blade.

So how does Frank mark his blades?
I love stilleto's eventhough they have a shorter reach than my .45 ACP.
JimBrown257

Re: How does F. Beltrame now mark his knives

Post by JimBrown257 »

The stamps on the ones the Italians make are often pretty random. It depends on the knife. Which ones did you get?
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

This older thread may (or may not) help....viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24508&hilit=frank+b+stamp#p269944

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
ronm007

Post by ronm007 »

Attached is a display cabinet with the subject knives. I would have to open and remove them to answer further details, which I can do if necessary, but I think JulesVanes' link may answer the question: "1996 to 2004 Frank used Stiletto Italy (AB Cutlery in 1996 also used Stiletto Italy. So, it is difficult to know for sure for 3-4 year[/size]" since the knives were purchased in 2003. Knives #3 thru 6, and # 8 are Beltrame blades. #5 blade is Damacus Steel.
Attachments
Knives.jpg
Knives.jpg (58.83 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
john

Post by john »

I hope this helps. I got this info from Frank.

1960-70 BV&F was used by Frank's father

Before 1996 Frank's old tang stamp was lower case b (capital letter "B" was used by Renzo)

1996 to 2004 Frank used Stiletto Italy (AB Cutlery in 1996 also used Stiletto Italy. So, it is difficult to know for sure for 3-4 years)

2003-2004 Frank started using Frank B
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...just curious 007, the 2nd down from the top with white scales: Is that a nail-nick in the blade (fingernail groove)? Is the pivot pin a screw or actual pin? Reminds me of my 1980 Edge Co. piece. But mine is stamped Taiwan on the back tang and 440 over ROSTFREI on the front tang.

...Geez! I've had this piece for 37 years?? lol

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
ronm007

Post by ronm007 »

Jules,
Mine looks identical to yours except that it is marked "Milano". It has the nail-nick and the pivot pin is not a screw. I can't remember just where I picked that one up, may have been at a Idaho Gun Show. I don't care much for the appearance of the knife since the blade isn't the stilleto style, but it works nicely with a nice strong spring. What do you consider the value of yours is.

John, thanks for the info.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Gee, I'm fairly sure the only "value" of mine is that it's been with me for those 37 years. Got it around 1980, I was 16. I've read members talking about Edge Co., but I think it's more of in a jokingly way since they sold cheap switchblades back then. Actually bought a black, the white, blue and red ones. Gave all the others away. For 37 years old, 'lil stinker still kicks great, can't complain. But as far as money value...? Not much lol.

Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

There's been quite a bit of deviation over the years but over the last 15 or so, all of Frank's Classic and Switch lines and most of his swing guards bear the stamp "FRANK B ITALY" on the tang, generally stamped pretty lightly. This is of course with the exception of contract knives he made for Kissing Krane and Linder. Special editions have other markings such as his full name etched on the blade length-wise (not on tang). Mass-production lines like B-Stealth, B-Naked, K-Bit all have "F.lli Beltrame Made in Italy" somewhere on the piece.

"Stiletto Italy" has for many years been used by Renzo Beltrame, and I believe he still uses it, although others including Frank have used it in the past. Renzo Beltrame doesn't always stamp his knives though and I've yet to see one with his actual name on it.

By the pic you provided and that purchase date you mentioned I would say this is before the modern stamp was implemented.

Hope this helps
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
mick17

Post by mick17 »

Luke, you mention Frank's light stamp and it sure is light. Can barely see it. I'm surprised he doesn't have a cool stamp, as the guy is a legend. Maybe something like Renzo Pascotto's he uses for proto's and limited editions. I think that one is super classy.
ronm007

Post by ronm007 »

That's true with mine also, the marking is so light I can hardly see it, even in bright light. I , also, wish he would have a classy stamp.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

JulesVane wrote:Gee, I'm fairly sure the only "value" of mine is that it's been with me for those 37 years. Got it around 1980, I was 16. I've read members talking about Edge Co., but I think it's more of in a jokingly way since they sold cheap switchblades back then. Actually bought a black, the white, blue and red ones. Gave all the others away. For 37 years old, 'lil stinker still kicks great, can't complain. But as far as money value...? Not much lol.
Gee...maybe I'm totally wrong about the value?.....viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25254