Puntette (Il Punto Revisited)

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
ILikeStilettos

Puntette (Il Punto Revisited)

Post by ILikeStilettos »

OK, I don't know what the members are going to say in reaction to this post, but here goes.

I have reconsidered my position of not posting copies of my designs until the knives are actually built. I know everyone wants pictures, and I have pictures of my designs, but they are virtual rather than real. In some cases, the knives are with a builder and/or in progress; in other cases, they are merely concepts of something. Please let me know if you want to see this type of post or not. I am also posting these in Switchblade Knives as there is no "custom" forum. Any general comments about this type of post, or specific comments or questions about this particular post are greatly appreciated.

This first knife is the prototype Il Punto that Duke "knifemaker55" Charlesworth built for me in 14-1/4" length. While the knife is functional, I did make some mistakes in the design and decided to revisit it and correct it. Here's the link to the original post if you are curious about it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24689

This gave rise to something I call Puntette, as it is a diminuative Il Punto and a mere 13" long. I corrected some geometry issues with the locktab and changed the grind almost imperceptibly. It is much easier to grind that the original but looks just as wicked. Also, I went from a normal lockback to a humpback with the tiniest of humps. It's shown with the lockback in the 'released' position. Also, this one is bottomless and has a bit more shape to the handle rather than the straight cigar shape of the original.

When closed, it would look like this.

DoubleD (Duke and I) produced one more production knife from the original with some stellar 'fossil' colored scales. We have no immediate plans to build the Puntette, but if somebody wants to order one, we will be more than happy to build it.

I have lots of designs in the repertoire and plan to show them one by one. I hope you enjoy them.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

"And you're telling me this because, somehow, I look like I give a shit?"

"Let a smile be your umbrella and you're gonna get your dumb ass wet."
sammy the blade

Re: Puntette (Il Punto Revisited)

Post by sammy the blade »

Post away.
2024 candidate for president
Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I LOVE it! This is the "bad boy" that can take a human down so quickly that you would never see it coming! It has a stark beauty that begs for carrying in the worst of scenarios. I could see my father carrying this as a UDT/Frogman in either a sleeve or belt scabbard. This is the secreted stiletto that can save a life when needed.

Hot stuff!
Fishtail Picklock
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Dave
These posts are fine by me .
I like to see the technical drawings and then the knife come to fruition and be shown here.
I learn about the workings and get to appreciate the work put into these mechanical wonders.

I wish I could safely participate in one of these ventures geting a knife designed and built by you and Duke but you know my position with risk over here.

I must admit i prefer the lines of the puntette ....not to impune the Punto in any way as I'd love to own it like all of your knives they are just superb. I just like that cut in at the bottom ,looks great .

Keep the designs and ideas coming I say

All the best mate

Ian
DonC

Post by DonC »

Thanks for the look. Keep em coming.
DonC
ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words, gentlemen. I have just posted another for your consideration.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

ILikeStilettos

Post by ILikeStilettos »

Fishtail Picklock wrote:I LOVE it! This is the "bad boy" that can take a human down so quickly that you would never see it coming! It has a stark beauty that begs for carrying in the worst of scenarios. I could see my father carrying this as a UDT/Frogman in either a sleeve or belt scabbard. This is the secreted stiletto that can save a life when needed.

Hot stuff!
Funny you should mention that ...

Remember the film, Eye of the Needle? There was lots of conversation about that one and referenced a knife that actually existed but was probably only ever a Hollywood prop. To me, it needed to be a long and slender OTF, but in a sleeve rig, so that was two challenges. I have something drawn up, but I need to revisit it. It will be here as a future post.

Also, see my new post about a Seal Reconn knife. As you know, the UDT guys are now known as SEALS and have to survive BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL) training. I've prettied it up, but it could be done in functional non-slip micarta, and maybe upsized to 7-8" of blade. I hope your dad is still trucking, and I appreciate his service to the country and the honor of corresponding with his son.
Dave Sause
oldandfat@cox.net
(405) 694-3690

Fishtail Picklock

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

My father died in 1975 when I was 20 years old. Yes, my father was a member of the "forerunners of the SEAL teams". Father was nearly killed at Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941. Boatswain's Mate 1st Class (passed, but not advanced to Cheif Petty Officer 13 times). They fished him out of the drink an pulled a piece of shrapnel from his head and had 7 more ships sank from beneath him during WW2. (His team blew a troop train in a tunnel on the Japanese coast, among other efficient activities). He also participated in "Operation Highump" in Antarctica with Admirable Byrd (1946-1947). They then shipped him off to Korea. After that little "party" he came home to the Tongue Point Naval Station Astoria, Oregon.

I was born at that Naval "Dispensary" (a little brick building just inside the main gate that is now standing). The base closed in 1962. I was sworn into the Navy on July 19th, 1975. and served as an Aviation Machinist's Mate (Jet) during the final days of the Vietnam Conflict. Ispent the most of my service time at USNAS Whidbey Island, Washington Ault Field. We were both "old salts".

I wish I had his old Fishtail Picklock Latama that he carried on deck for many, many years. This s why I took the handle "Fishtail Picklock". Daddy's handy, dandy deck knife, which he carried in a handmade scabbard along with a marlinspike with an adjustable-end wrench silver-soldered on the end of it. Father carried both alongside each other in his dungarees on a daily basis. Is it any wonder why I love "working switchblades"?
Fishtail Picklock