Query on vintage switchback stiletto knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DavidSnell

Query on vintage switchback stiletto knife

Post by DavidSnell »

Good morning! Hope you all are well.

I am a new member of this forum and joined to get some more clarity on a vintage switchback stiletto knife that I had won on an auction this past weekend.

I would like to find out more about it, as the seller mentioned it to be a switchback stiletto, yet it looks like any other vintage flick knife (as we refer to such knives in South Africa) to me in that the top bolster releases and unlocks blade. What does the "switchback" refer to? Also, it is stamped INOX on the back of the blade and on the front with "FBR ITALY". Checking on Google, I am unable to find any other flick knife with such stamping on the front. Does the FBR refer to a name of manufacturer? I was thinking Frank Beltrame, but not entirely sure.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
David Snell
sammy the blade

Re: Query on vintage switchback stiletto knife

Post by sammy the blade »

Never heard of a switchback, my guess the seller meant switchblade. Welcome to talkblade.
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Hi David and welcome. You'll find lots of very knowledgeable members here on TB that love to help. I'm sure one of the first things to do, is to get some pics posted of your new knife in question. Helps so very much! Again...welcome!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The seller had no idea what he was talking about.
There is no "switchback" terminology in cutlery.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

sammy the blade wrote:Never heard of a switchback, my guess the seller meant switchblade. Welcome to talkblade.
Thank you for the welcome! I am guessing the same in that the seller meant "switchblade".
David Snell
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

JulesVane wrote:Hi David and welcome. You'll find lots of very knowledgeable members here on TB that love to help. I'm sure one of the first things to do, is to get some pics posted of your new knife in question. Helps so very much! Again...welcome!
Hello there. Thank you for welcoming me to this forum. I will upload photographs as soon as I can. Flick knives are not very common in South Africa, so I am pleased to find this vintage.
David Snell
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

Bill DeShivs wrote:The seller had no idea what he was talking about.
There is no "switchback" terminology in cutlery.
Yes I fully agree. I have never heard of "switchback" myself.
David Snell
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

welcome David,when you have the time try to post some pix of you switchblade.Eric
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

Thank you Eric. I most certainly will post photographs of my flick knife as soon as I can.
David Snell
Jay Blade

Post by Jay Blade »

So, In South Africa there are commonly called flick knives, interesting. By the way welcome & look forward to pictures of your Flick Knife ;-)
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

Thank you for the welcome and yes. Photographs will be uploaded soon.
David Snell
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

Back in the 70s/80s when I was in Europe they were called Flick Knives all over and or Spring knives....Almost never heard them called switchblades
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

A "Switchblade" to me is what most other countries refer to as a "otf/Out The Front". Different strokes for different folks.
David Snell
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

Unfortunately, I cannot upload photographs of my new flick knife. Website keeps on telling me attachment(s) too large.
Having received this flick knife only yesterday morning, let me just say it is extremely small. Almost six inches long with blade open. Blade does not appear to be stainless steel and looks to me more of a novelty letter opener. It does have "FBR ITALY" stamped on front of the blade and "INOX" stamped onto the back. This knife has no real practical value to me and would be better in the collection tray of someone else. If anyone is interested, let me know.
David Snell
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

To bad that you don't like the knife. Didn't the seller give the length of the knife? Live and learn I guess, sometimes we learn the hard way.
2024 candidate for president