Query on vintage switchback stiletto knife

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
DavidSnell

Re: Query on vintage switchback stiletto knife

Post by DavidSnell »

It is not too bad a knife, but does not excite me the way I had hoped. Photographs made the scales look darker and overall larger. I will see if I can sharpen blade to see if it can hold. If not, free to a good home!
David Snell
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

It most likely won't hold. Even modern stilettos have pretty soft steel... will make a dandy letter opener but knife overall won't stand up to hard use. Depending on how old it is you could get a decent amount for it, although I'm not sure how much you paid to get it in the first place. Sounds like this was an online auction if you were only able to see pics of it before buying... if you link us to the listing we could just check out the pictures there. If it's gone, imgur is always a nice option :)
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

DavidSnell wrote:Unfortunately, I cannot upload photographs of my new flick knife. Website keeps on telling me attachment(s) too large.
Having received this flick knife only yesterday morning, let me just say it is extremely small. Almost six inches long with blade open. Blade does not appear to be stainless steel and looks to me more of a novelty letter opener. It does have "FBR ITALY" stamped on front of the blade and "INOX" stamped onto the back. This knife has no real practical value to me and would be better in the collection tray of someone else. If anyone is interested, let me know.
fbr italy i believe this is a old knife and should be unmolested to retain value.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

Good news is that this flick knife is growing on me and the more people I ask, the more agree size is good as it is easily concealed with full look and functionality of a bigger flick knife. Thank you for the clarity of soft steel used, Luke_of_Mass. I do want it sharper, even if not razor. Currently, this knife has a sharp point, but could not cut through anything at all. It is that dull. On auction, I paid just over R600 (about USD44) for this knife and I will take decent photographs as soon as I can and upload to imgur.
David Snell
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

I shall merely sharpen and not molest in any way, TRYKER. Thank you for telling me, but where can I find out more on FBR?
David Snell
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

FBR ITALY Flick Knife
FBR ITALY Flick Knife
photocollage_201710523504565.png (748.08 KiB) Viewed 3315 times
David Snell
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

My apologies for the bad quality photograph.
David Snell
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Bill may know something. I've never heard of fbr on anything.
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

DavidSnell wrote:Unfortunately, I cannot upload photographs of my new flick knife. Website keeps on telling me attachment(s) too large.
Hi David. Not sure if the following options are available to you in South Africa,. but here's a link to a thread to post pictures that could possibly work for you.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25034

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

Thank you, JulesVane. I have managed to upload a collage of my flick knife. Granted, not the best quality, but best I can do for now. Photograph is further up on this thread.
David Snell
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Can u send me pic, I like the small ones. Tom Johnson. Daj18@verizon .net thx, Tom
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Didn't see pics at first, thx. T
TazmanTom

Post by TazmanTom »

Sent PM
DavidSnell

Post by DavidSnell »

Good morning all,

I have decided to keep this flick knife. Seems it very rare as no one has ever heard of FBR.

Plus the small size is great. Just need to put an edge on this INOX blade and try to make sharp.
David Snell
JimBrown257

Post by JimBrown257 »

Seems it very rare as no one has ever heard of FBR.
There are a few older Italians with the FBR stamp (I call them Franklin Belanos). Every time someone finds one, they ask what the initials stand for but so far no one seems to know.