Armando Beltrame 9 inch ATS-34 Stiletto

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
picklocksrock

Re: Armando Beltrame 9 inch ATS-34 Stiletto

Post by picklocksrock »

natcherly wrote:
Luke_of_Mass wrote:Is SKM / MABer Colltelerie actually out of business or is the website itself just down temporarily?

Honestly I think the quality of SKM is comparably poor and wish Armando Beltrame would at least make a website for his higher end "AB" line... :(
SKM did not and does not make knives. They were a marketing operation.

Making auto knives in Italy is hard enough, selling them in that country, even by mail order to customers in other countries, is more difficult. This is due in large part to current Italian law and the general hassle of maintaining a web store. Witness the move of the Campolin's retail operation to Austria, a country where The Knife Shop has been in business for years. Austria is very switch friendly. I suspect makers simply find it easier to wholesale.

My fear is that there just isn't the money in making these knives anymore. The competition from China, much of it unfair to say the least, is deadly. We may be seeing the end of times for true Italian made auto knives. :cry:
Don’t ever buy anything from that Maber company. They ripped me off and sold me completely garbage knives with all old and worn out parts.
“Tough times never last, but tough people do”
-Robert H. Shuller
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

Luke_of_Mass wrote:Is SKM / MABer Colltelerie actually out of business or is the website itself just down temporarily?

Honestly I think the quality of SKM is comparably poor and wish Armando Beltrame would at least make a website for his higher end "AB" line... :(
I ordered from them a few years ago and I’ve never seen such poor quality stilettos in my life. Total Frankenstein knives. One of the bolts was just a cheap flat head screw. Wobbly blades. Spines with so much gap that it was barely hanging on! Good riddance
-Robert H. Shuller
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

picklocksrock wrote: I ordered from them a few years ago and I’ve never seen such poor quality stilettos in my life. Total Frankenstein knives. One of the bolts was just a cheap flat head screw. Wobbly blades. Spines with so much gap that it was barely hanging on! Good riddance
These were actually pretty high quality knives. However, that quality was not much consistent over time, so it was also a bit a matter of "luck".

That said, customer service was always great and ready to replace any defective item.

Cheers,
Michele.
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

arthas wrote:
picklocksrock wrote: I ordered from them a few years ago and I’ve never seen such poor quality stilettos in my life. Total Frankenstein knives. One of the bolts was just a cheap flat head screw. Wobbly blades. Spines with so much gap that it was barely hanging on! Good riddance
These were actually pretty high quality knives. However, that quality was not much consistent over time, so it was also a bit a matter of "luck".

That said, customer service was always great and ready to replace any defective item.

I’m not saying Armando Beltrame was bad quality just that site I ordered from something happened. But I did ask that Maber to exchange my knife and they would not. They even accused me of breaking it. After it just came in!

Cheers,
Michele.
-Robert H. Shuller
john

Post by john »

arthas wrote:

Cheers,
Michele.
When I first ordered from SKM the quality of the knifes names was really good. I really never had a problem with any of their knives. I stopped buying from SKM because I bought all of the types of knives I wanted form their inventory.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
picklocksrock

Post by picklocksrock »

yes, it’s sad when a company decreases quality. I might be talking about a different place there were two sites I think. There was one that let you choose the knife you wanted built. That site seemed good to me. This other outlet wouldn’t even let me exchange! And rude!
-Robert H. Shuller
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

I'm beginning to wonder if SKM is still even in business... it's been years since new AB or SKM products have been on the market either in europe or stateside. And their website has been going on and offline and was nonfunctional when it was up... Maybe I'm missing something but Angelo didn't seem to have a real good answer for me when I asked about Armando's business when I talked to him a couple months ago...
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hello!

SKM is not in business anymore.

M.
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

So AB is no longer making knives? :o
arthas
Cutlery Town Warrior

Post by arthas »

Hello!
Luke_of_Mass wrote:So AB is no longer making knives? :o
There is still something on the market under SKM name, and there probably will always be as some of AB knives were made by other knifemakers in Maniago.

AB itself is currently not producing knives.

M.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

That's a bummer, I have an ab picklock that Straydog worked over and even before he customized it it was very well made.
2024 candidate for president
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

Very sad news, I will hold onto all my AB's forever now...
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Here is one I customized right after they came out. ATS-34 blade, white horn handles, lined front bolsters, brass pins and liners, red dot safety. Bolsters, button and safety all nickel plated. Brass pins are tarnished.
Probably the nicest ATS-34 Stiletto around.
Attachments
IMG_4411.JPG
IMG_4411.JPG (44.18 KiB) Viewed 3486 times
IMG_4410.JPG
IMG_4410.JPG (56 KiB) Viewed 3486 times
IMG_4409.JPG
IMG_4409.JPG (35.12 KiB) Viewed 3486 times
IMG_4408.JPG
IMG_4408.JPG (30.25 KiB) Viewed 3486 times
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Looks really good Bill. Great job as usual !
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

That IS a beauty Bill. Very special piece!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)