SKM

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Scotchman

SKM

Post by Scotchman »

I guess I don't get the Frank B. humpback I wanted. I am now looking at a SKM flat grind. What are impressions of SKM? Thanks. Scott
JulesVane

Re: SKM

Post by JulesVane »

Scotchman wrote:I guess I don't get the Frank B. humpback I wanted. I am now looking at a SKM flat grind. What are impressions of SKM? Thanks. Scott
Hey Scott, don't give up just yet on that Humpback. Though I have yet to see your WTB post on the Buy & Sell section, 'ya still never know. As far as SKM (Switchblade Knife Makers), I believe I do have one 11" Imt. Ivory/Bayo in my small collection. If I'm not mistaken, Armando Beltrame is "partners" or owner of SKM. IMO, the one I have is hard to tell any difference from my 11" Imt. Ivory/Dagger from Frank Beltrame. But, as I've read, this is not always the case. Armando Beltrame also has a line of SKM/AB (or AB/SKM) that is stamped just AB. I have two 9" stamped AB that I like very much. From what I've seen, the SKM's will have the stamp "Made In Italy" or blank, and the AB's are stamped AB with the Maniago quality stamp (nice, subtle touch). In my opinion, if you can get the AB stamped knife, you MAY just be a little safer. Again, just my opinion.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

The knife I am looking at is stamped Made In Italy, with dark horn. I don't really want a 13", but, it's really the only stiletto that I can afford with a spear blade. I have given up on the humpback.
john

Post by john »

SKM stilettos are well made and reliable. All my SKM knives are awesome.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

John, how many SKM's do you have?
john

Post by john »

Scotchman wrote:John, how many SKM's do you have?

I'm not exactly sure how many I own, but they range from their smallest stiletto keychain size, up to 13 inch. I also own several other models that they feature such as leverlocks and shell pullers. Some are scaled in plastic, horn and wood with brass or steel bolsters and various style blades: Kriss, dagger, flat ground and bayonet all made of 440 steel or Damascus. I've purchased their key chain kits, low cost stilettos and do-it-yourself stilettos. They were the first company I bought new stilettos from in 2006. I haven't purchased a knife from SKM in a while and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a knife from SKM.
John

natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

SKM was and apparently still is a marketing operation. They make no knives themselves but sell products made by others. This is not untypical of the way knives are marketed by Maniago makers.

SKM used to sponsor this site, Talkblade. Here is a link to a previous thread that deals with the change.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23416

Maybe our Admin, Arthas, can update us as I'm sure more changes have been made.
john

Post by john »

Hi David and Everyone,
I just checked and the site SKM.to is still down. It's been down for two years. As I said it's been a while since I've visited their site. I had no idea that it's been out of commission for such a long time.
John
John

Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Thanks everyone.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Wow, amazing how a small thread can turn into such a learning experience. Let me try to understand: SKM does not make knives, yet sold as SKM knives? They are basically a collaboration of other Maniago knife makers (I'm assuming the Beltrame family). SKM (as well as Renzo Beltrame) knives have either no tang stamp or simply "made in Italy". If you purchase an SKM knife, you really don't know WHO made it. Even if your knife DOES have a tang stamp, you still don't know who had their hands in the production pot. I guess a question would be why would a knife maker not stamp his own creation and, basically, pile it into a group of knives and call it SKM, not taking the credit for it themselves? In general, I think it's safe to say, that when browsing sale sites, SKM labeled knives are cheaper in price compared to other genuine Italian labels (stamps), and I'm not sure why. Over-thinking things is one of my specialties, but this info can be rather confusing. "If one never asks, one never knows".

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

JulesVane wrote:Wow, amazing how a small thread can turn into such a learning experience. Let me try to understand: SKM does not make knives, yet sold as SKM knives? They are basically a collaboration of other Maniago knife makers (I'm assuming the Beltrame family). SKM (as well as Renzo Beltrame) knives have either no tang stamp or simply "made in Italy". If you purchase an SKM knife, you really don't know WHO made it. Even if your knife DOES have a tang stamp, you still don't know who had their hands in the production pot. I guess a question would be why would a knife maker not stamp his own creation and, basically, pile it into a group of knives and call it SKM, not taking the credit for it themselves? In general, I think it's safe to say, that when browsing sale sites, SKM labeled knives are cheaper in price compared to other genuine Italian labels (stamps), and I'm not sure why. Over-thinking things is one of my specialties, but this info can be rather confusing. "If one never asks, one never knows".

BINGO !!!
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

If you contact Frank B, Armando, or whoever, and place a large enough order, they will tang stamp it anyway you wish with some restraints I suppose. Makes collecting a bit more challenging. This has been going on for decades and is just the normal way of business over there. And if you go deeper into who manufactures and supplies the parts that are common to these knives, your head will spin....

BTW, not all the Beltrames are related, and if they are they do not necessarily work together in a harmonious way. Brothers Frank and Armando have been estranged for years.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...I just can't help to wonder why a maker like Frank B (just for example), would produce a stiletto that he could sell for $100 (again, all examples) with the Frank B stamp on it. But, instead, does not stamp it but trades it off to SKM with no stamp and that very same stiletto is sold for $60 under the SKM name. We all seem to agree that knives from SKM are of decent to good quality, so an inferior piece can't be the issue. Hmm...a "Maniago Mystery".

natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

No mystery, it's just business Maniago style. Frank may sell some knives directly, but most of his production is for the wholesale market - other makers, distributors, dealers. He couldn't make it on direct sales alone as the volume isn't there. So he doesn't get $100 for each knife, but he can sell many more at enough to cover his variable costs and contribute to overhead and profit. As noted previously, some are marked the way the buyer requests. Others have Frank's stamp on them.
john

Post by john »

If my memory is serving me right, I recall purchasing SKM shell pullers knives with G.O.M. stamped on the knife ... Guido Octavio Massaro
Can some confirm what G.O.M's initials stand for?
John
John