New Italian OTF?

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderators: Vagrant, The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
User avatar
Panzerfaust
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:23 pm

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby Panzerfaust » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:41 pm

Microtech has reduced my interest for inexpensive OTFs, but I really like the looks of this one, and I like having cheap knives around to open boxes or packages, so I don't dull the edge of my Microtech Ultratech!

User avatar
JulesVane
Posts: 519
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:34 am

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby JulesVane » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:44 am

Panzerfaust wrote:Microtech has reduced my interest for inexpensive OTFs, but I really like the looks of this one, and I like having cheap knives around to open boxes or packages, so I don't dull the edge of my Microtech Ultratech!

...I hear this a lot about the expensive Microtechs. People don't want to use (carry) them due to their high costs. Can't say I blame them. Hell, I've got 60 or so Italian stilettos I place in a case and only admire too lol. I've never held a Microtech, but I've sure seen some of the pricetags! I guess some are under $300 or so, but don't they go up near $700? The "downside" (I feel) about most OTFs, is that they're all kind of a box look with a slide deploy/retract switch. Not many I've seen vary in this design, unlike the Italian Stiletto that is available in so many styles and such. I'm just starting to get interested in the OTFs, so I'm not too, too savvy on them yet. What I DO like about this particular AKC, is the deploy/retract slide acts as a comfortable finger guard and feels nice in the hand. Looks good too!
Image

"The Difference Between A Wife's Argument And A Knife? The Knife Has A Point"

User avatar
Panzerfaust
Posts: 1051
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:23 pm

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby Panzerfaust » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:28 am

JulesVane wrote:
Panzerfaust wrote:Microtech has reduced my interest for inexpensive OTFs, but I really like the looks of this one, and I like having cheap knives around to open boxes or packages, so I don't dull the edge of my Microtech Ultratech!

...I hear this a lot about the expensive Microtechs. People don't want to use (carry) them due to their high costs. Can't say I blame them. Hell, I've got 60 or so Italian stilettos I place in a case and only admire too lol. I've never held a Microtech, but I've sure seen some of the pricetags! I guess some are under $300 or so, but don't they go up near $700? The "downside" (I feel) about most OTFs, is that they're all kind of a box look with a slide deploy/retract switch. Not many I've seen vary in this design, unlike the Italian Stiletto that is available in so many styles and such. I'm just starting to get interested in the OTFs, so I'm not too, too savvy on them yet. What I DO like about this particular AKC, is the deploy/retract slide acts as a comfortable finger guard and feels nice in the hand. Looks good too!


I have carried my Microtech and used it a few times, but as far as opening boxes at home, I use a knife that is not so pricey. This AKC is a cool-looking knife and I'm trying to talk myself out of buying one.

Fishtail Picklock
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 11:10 pm
Location: Western U.S.A.

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby Fishtail Picklock » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:01 am

Wherever it is made, I hope that it is a good one. I bought the black model (military) as I have never been much for a "flashy" knife.
Fishtail Picklock

Tom19176
Posts: 2382
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:23 am

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby Tom19176 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:26 am

I think they should be good and in line with the better made Lightnings that have proven to hold up and last for years.....I just think they are made in a place other than Italy for them.....

sammy the blade
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:18 pm

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby sammy the blade » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:11 pm

Tom19176 wrote:I think they should be good and in line with the better made Lightnings that have proven to hold up and last for years.....I just think they are made in a place other than Italy for them.....

I think so too, guess the Italians got on the boat with everyone else.
AKA Sammy da blade

User avatar
JulesVane
Posts: 519
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:34 am

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby JulesVane » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:03 pm

As I mentioned earlier, these OTFs seem to really get cloned quite often and who knows what you're getting or where it came from? Just take this "Angel Blade" for example: https://www.3knives.com/en/product/2774 ... 3-blu.html ...If that's not an $1,800+ Microtech Halo (IV or V) clone straight outta' DHgate for $50 I'd be surprised. They don't mention the Country of origin on this one. At least they aren't calling it AKC. I did notice the F-16 is listed under "Italian" other than International. I saw a Benchmade Infidel Mini for sale for $80 that I almost ran to buy until I noticed the clone market on OTFs. Amazing...
Image

"The Difference Between A Wife's Argument And A Knife? The Knife Has A Point"

Fishtail Picklock
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 11:10 pm
Location: Western U.S.A.

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby Fishtail Picklock » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:52 pm

I'm expecting my "military" version by the end of the day December 23rd. I'll give everyone a "first hand" review.
Fishtail Picklock

sammy the blade
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:18 pm

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby sammy the blade » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Can't wait to see your review, unbiased I'm sure. Just because something is made in the orient doesn't necessarily mean it's junk and it's certainly not a clone of any otf I've ever seen before.
AKA Sammy da blade

Fishtail Picklock
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 11:10 pm
Location: Western U.S.A.

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby Fishtail Picklock » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:42 am

I have a nice Boker Strike Stonewashed Drop Point Auto that is what I'm using for an EDC auto. It is both effective and budget-friendly. The AUS-8 steel blade holds an edge well enough but is easy to sharpen. It is made in Taiwan but is built well enough to compete with the rest of the cutlery in the Boker line. (It is thicker and stronger than their big Kalashnikov autos).

I just hope that their 440A steel holds a decent edge. If the F-16 is as good as their Italian line, it will be fine.
Fishtail Picklock

Fishtail Picklock
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 11:10 pm
Location: Western U.S.A.

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby Fishtail Picklock » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:09 am

I promise to give everyone the straight dope. (Why should I lie)? I'll be rather critical. I don't want anyone to buy a piece of trash. I can't stand to hear someone promote a knife that won't meet their expectations. Someone is always trying to sell a "pig in a poke" that falls apart after a month of use.

That's pure BS!
Fishtail Picklock

Fishtail Picklock
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sat May 03, 2003 11:10 pm
Location: Western U.S.A.

Re: New Italian OTF?

Postby Fishtail Picklock » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:46 pm

There is good news. According to Arthas, the AKC F-16 OTF knives are, in fact, manufactured in Maniago, Italy. I'm glad, Aren't you?
Fishtail Picklock


Return to “Switchblade knives”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests