Frank Beltrame's new production "humpback" autos.

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Fishtail Picklock

Frank Beltrame's new production "humpback" autos.

Post by Fishtail Picklock »

I went to Frank B's website and saw some new Humpback autos. Does anyone have a new knife? If so, how is the locking mechanism on this knife? :?:
Fishtail Picklock
JulesVane

Re: Frank Beltrame's new production "humpback" autos.

Post by JulesVane »

...I just looked on the site. Very nice! I wrote them to inquire about it in Rams Horn (price and shipping). I'll post any info. I may receive.
*UPDATE*: Sara was kind enough to quickly respond. They are on Summer Holiday until August 30th.
Last edited by JulesVane on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
lance

Post by lance »

I have a set of vintage humpbacks and several frank b..i would say that his knifes are usually of very good quality.i prefer a humpback to a swivel-bolster locking mech.
Scotchman

Post by Scotchman »

Would someone be so kind as to send me a link for the FB new production Humpback's? I have tried unsucessfully (spelling?) to find them. Thanks. Scott
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Scotchman wrote:Would someone be so kind as to send me a link for the FB new production Humpback's? I have tried unsucessfully (spelling?) to find them. Thanks. Scott
...you should find them here Scott
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... RU9ddbJDvw

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
mick17

Post by mick17 »

JulesVane wrote:...I just looked on the site. Very nice! I wrote them to inquire about it in Rams Horn (price and shipping). I'll post any info. I may receive.
*UPDATE*: Sara was kind enough to quickly respond. They are on Summer Holiday until August 30th.
Hey Chris, did Sara say they'd actually be selling humpbacks or did she just say check back after 8/30? I wasn't sure if the humpbacks page just popped up on the site or if it's been there awhile, and if that means they're available.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Hi Pat, great question. Last time I was on that site, I spent quite a while deciding on a purchase, only to inquire and find out "they made them, but do not sell them" lol.
Here's the short reply from Sara (8/16): "We are in summer holidays, we are back on 30 august
Let you know soon
Thank you Sara"
...That was in response to me asking about the Humpback (price/shipping). Doesn't tell us a lot...

sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

They take the holidays pretty seriously there!
2024 candidate for president
mick17

Post by mick17 »

sammy the blade wrote:They take the holidays pretty seriously there!
They definitely do, and it's usually in August. AGA has come out with a lot of new stuff, so I guess they were built in the months leading up to August in anticipation of holiday. It seems Angelo stays at the store in AU to sell all these new blades, unless he's just great at responding to emails on holiday. Hopefully the new Walt's have already been shipped from Frank!

The last place I saw Frank B humpbacks available was here here maybe 4 months back:

http://www.menseffects.com/default.asp

I don't know anything about that site at all, but they had some really nice (yet overpriced) knives from Maniago. Doesn't appear they have much now.
john

Post by john »

Hi Everyone,
I took a look at the photo of the humpback on Frank's site posted by Jules Vane. It's photo of a limited edition he made a few years ago. It was made in 2012. Image
I had to do a search to find it's my original thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19305&p=232009&hili ... ck#p232009
PhotoBucket has blocked my photos. I refuse to pay PhotoBucket $400. a year to post photos.

John
Last edited by john on Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...Thanks for posting that John. Seems that navigating the Frank B site is rather confusing to me. I THINK I'm looking at current "products" and price lists, but as you've stated, are actually 5 years old. Maybe they have a "currently available for sale" area that I have over-looked somehow(?).

METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

Hi guys i had a bunch of Franks 11" Humpbacks years ago when he made them , for me i didnt like them at all i mean i like the "stiletto" look but the "hump" that you press to close blade was always too big and in the way and rested in palm of my hand and it made the blade bounce back every time because i had a tad bit of pressure on that hump, i thought they were cool idea and design but they are just for the display case not a real good carry knife, i think if the "hump" was smaller maybe wouldnt be in way soo much. when i open a stiletto i like my palm flush against the backspring but the way Franks hump backs are made you have to hold knife with your fingers you cant really hold it tight or it will not work right.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thanks Bernie, that does make sense. I think that answers Fishtail Picklocks original question on this thread. I agree, it's a good looking piece. I really had no idea of how the hump blade release works or how sensitive it sounds to be. I didn't know if it slides up/down or pushes in. So, Fishtail may of been as mistaken as myself with the term "New Production" Humpbacks? The site seems to easily confuse.

Markco the Mad otter

Post by Markco the Mad otter »

Guess I been gone awhile. I hadn't visited Frank's web site for...probably a few years but WOW! what a difference! Sure is a lot better than the old site.
I have one of the newer humpbacks, it's a few years old and seems that it could be a little stubborn but I am thinking that perhaps they have gotten them a little better by now.
I admit that I have not seen one that was made in the past year. Mine is from when they first reintroduced them several years ago and I remember that Frank was working very hard on what sounded like a rather difficult project to get these right.
SNAP, SNAP, SNAP!!
fastr19

Post by fastr19 »

this is probably the one you are interested in. I bought one when they were introduced. The hump has given me no problems and I have not had to adjust my hand position. It opens and closes very smoothly.
Last edited by fastr19 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.