3knives.com, my experience...

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Vagabund

3knives.com, my experience...

Post by Vagabund »

I actually buy seldom a new knife because my experince is you don't get what you see in internet.
After an exchange with 3knives I ordered a 13 inch plain edge standard stiletto - first time after a very long time. Angelo personally wrote me he would pick up for me white colored dark horn scales. I was expectinga nice collectible knife. And here is what I get...
After the firing the blade it was almost impossible to push the release bolster to unlock the blade. I had to use my both hands and to force to rotate the bolster
Even after then I had to force the bolster again in the normal position.
I wrote a mail and described the issue, he wrote I can send it back to him. I asked if I had pay the retoure. Answer? None.
I assumed silence means 'yes' and I sent the knife back. Now I am hoping to get the money...
New knife? No, thanks
Attachments
SAM_4707.JPG
SAM_4707.JPG (871.77 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
SAM_4711.JPG
SAM_4711.JPG (840.5 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
DonC

Re: 3knives.com, my experience...

Post by DonC »

I've dealt with 3 Knives on several occasions twice with Angelo directly and the transactions have always been very straight forward. Hope everything works out in your favor but remember that you're dealing with international mail and functions so give the system time to work.
Please keep us informed of the outcome.
DonC
Vagabund

Post by Vagabund »

Angelo contacted me today and sent me the refund. They are very fast with shipping but I still think they need better quality control.
natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

Glad it worked out for you.

Quality Control is something many of us have long cited as a problem. It seems to get better but then crops up again. Of course one knife does not make a trend, but if QC is really a key part of the manufacturing process, how does a knife like that get released to the retailer? Maybe a second level of QC needs to be put into place by the retailer.
john

Post by john »

natcherly wrote:Glad it worked out for you.

Quality Control is something many of us have long cited as a problem. It seems to get better but then crops up again. Of course one knife does not make a trend, but if QC is really a key part of the manufacturing process, how does a knife like that get released to the retailer? Maybe a second level of QC needs to be put into place by the retailer.

What David said!

Occasionally one gets by. It shouldn't happen, but it does. All it would take is to: check the safety, fire it open, swivel the bolster, and close it.
John
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

I think quality control is a big problem these days, and will probably get worse before it gets better.

I work at a high tech company (cryogenics), and I can tell you that workers aren't what they used to be (I've worked in the manufacturing sector for 44 years as of last May). And that includes inspectors, engineers, and management. We make products with incredibly tight tolerances, mostly on CNC machines. The "machinists" of today mainly run programs and measure the results. In other words, they are less required to exhibit above average dexterity, calculation, and planning skills.

In today's manufacturing (including inspection), accountability is greatly diminished. So, long story short, "the machines do the work", and this is reflected in pretty much every aspect of manufacturing. We're forced to depend more heavily on them than we'd like, but that's the way the world works now. (and yes, computer controlled machines do much of the inspecting too)

Notice that I'm not addressing the fact that the individuals themselves are of a different breed than in previous generations; a whole other subject in itself.

Funny coincidence, but at the last staff meeting I attended on Monday, the head of my department asked us to form a team to do random inspections in addition to our standard QC, which is already intensive.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
TRYKER

Post by TRYKER »

being a machineist for over 33 years, some of us did are own inspection. i had jobs that i would start with 6 to end up with 2 or 3, mistakes happen and 4 weeks into a job ya just cant start over. to day there are few real machinists left, there programers who don't now one end a of a 6'' scale from the other, they just push the buttons. and drink coffee and read the paper. and theres very few inspection departments to check there work either.
TRYKER

A man who brags about how smart he is, wouldn't if he was.

"Rose-colored glassses are never made in bifocals. Nobody wants to read the small print in dreams"
rock-n-roll$$$$$$

Post by rock-n-roll$$$$$$ »

the QC where I was working was very good I worked in plastic's for many years,re your knife I would put a drop of oil in the bolster,good luck.
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

TRYKER, I agree with everything you say. We've got some old timers where I work (hell, I'm one of them), and they make fewer mistakes, less disruption, etc. Some of them have the old union attitudes, though, but they're generally OK. On the other hand, the newer recruits can't (or won't) hang a tool back on a shadow board without getting it ass-end-to. Whenever I see a machine that hasn't been chipped or a setup left abandoned, I know right where to go, since the younger guys always seem to cut too many corners.

Of course, I haven't forgotten how I was at age 20 or so, and am inclined to go easy if they show some promise.

Tom
tr4252

Post by tr4252 »

Yes, a drop of oil can do wonders.

Tom
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

You guys all have too many excuses for these Italian makers. Truth is they are borderline liars and bullshiters most of the time.
big_slim

Post by big_slim »

I've never dealt with 3 knives. I've had a few knives with a similar problem, I assume the pivot pin is just hammered in too tight and the bolster would probably loosen up with some oil and working it a bit. But I've had at least one that I just couldn't get to close right no matter what so sometimes it's more tricky than that. The important thing here is that you got a refund right away, that's good customer service.
Hombre

Post by Hombre »

big_slim wrote:The important thing here is that you got a refund right away, that's good customer service.
++++

/Stefan
Vagabund

Post by Vagabund »

I sent the knife back and got the refund, so far the problem has been solved for me. What they make with those knife is up to them, but it was definitly not a simple "oiling" problem. In fact I putted a little oil on it and that made it only worst. There was just too much friction between the bolster and the scale. The bolster needs to be repinned or maybe they know in the factory some other simple trick.
john

Post by john »

Next time:
Sometimes putting a razor blade or two in between the liner and bolster will do the trick. This method can also help a blade that won't fully open (the razor blade is placed between the liner and blade). If the bolster or blade becomes too loose gently tap the pivot pin with a two ounce hammer. I've done this procedure and it's worked for me.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed