Federal switchblade laws

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Jaysin

Federal switchblade laws

Post by Jaysin »

I know there was a bill in congress that would end the Draconian laws switchblade laws I have not found anything if it died or has not been heard and voted on. my question is do you think it will pass and why or why not
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: Federal switchblade laws

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I don't think there was a congressional bill.
Many states have legalized switchblades in the last few years.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Jaysin

Post by Jaysin »

Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Interesting. Ritter told me a few years ago that I would see the 1958 act repealed in my lifetime.
I'm sure this bill will take a while to get anywhere.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Jaysin

Post by Jaysin »

i find the whole 1958 law silly and pointless there never was any point to it what so ever other then we want our people to have something your people cant have
john

Post by john »

Hi Everyone,

Just got an email with a link to this article. I copied and pasted it here.

John

Auritt Communications
Advocacy Group Brings Knife Fight to Capitol Hill
Fri., Jul. 7, 2017
By Jon Gingerich

inShare
Knife industry advocacy organization Knife Rights, Inc. has hired government relations firm Capitol Hill Consulting Group for D.C. lobbying support on civil rights, law enforcement and trade issues as they affect the public’s ability to carry knives.

Knife Rights
Knife Rights seeks to educate the public on knife responsibility and to influence public policy by defending knife owners’ civil rights and combatting legislation with a perceived “anti-knife agenda.” The Gilbert, AZ-based nonprofit was formed in 2006.

The advocacy group has hired CHCG to kick off a lobbying campaign supporting H.R. 84, the “Knife Owners’ Protection Act.” That bill, which was introduced in January by Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ), aims to protect the rights of knife owners while making interstate travel throughout the country. KOPA also includes a repeal of the Federal Switchblade Act, which was originally passed in 1958, and outlaws the importation and interstate trade of “automatic” spring-loaded knives.

The Federal Switchblade Act was amended in 2009 to remove the “automatic” designation for folding pocketknives that can be pushed open with one hand.

CHCG’s Jack Victory, previously an aide to former Republican Majority Whip Tom DeLay, and David Stratton Edwards, former staffer to Oklahoma Congressman Tom Cole, manage the Knife Rights account.

Copyright © 1998-2017
J.R. O'Dwyer Company, Inc.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

KnifeRights is a great group.....I have been in contact for many years with it founder. Everyone should support their efforts by joining and responding to request to write when needed....