"Transitional"

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
JulesVane

"Transitional"

Post by JulesVane »

Hi all...Wondering what the term "transitional" means when referred to switchblades. I see the term quite often used, and thought it meant that the piece was made during a certain time period. But, more & more I notice it used to describe both new and old. Is ANY swivel bolster piece a "transitional" piece regardless of age?

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
jim d,

Re: "Transitional"

Post by jim d, »

Transitional is a term used to describe Italian stilettos manufactured from about the time of the 1958 US switchblade ban and the time the modern swivel bolster came into full production. They can be button open / button close or swivel bolster. Typically they have thicker backsprings and are generally a heavier construction throughout. It is hard to pin down the exact features as they vary somewhat. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Jim
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

jim d, wrote:Transitional is a term used to describe Italian stilettos manufactured from about the time of the 1958 US switchblade ban and the time the modern swivel bolster came into full production. They can be button open / button close or swivel bolster. Typically they have thicker backsprings and are generally a heavier construction throughout. It is hard to pin down the exact features as they vary somewhat. Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Jim
Thanks Jim. So, basically, it DOES refer to a time period of production and not just the fact that it's anything other than a picklock. Very interesting. I get the feeling that a lot of pieces are referred to as transitional that may be a bit more modern than would fall into that time period of production. The term "transitional" in itself may be considered a selling point as it could make the buyer feel the piece is old or rare. It's kind of a "tricky" word.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

My feelings too. The term is used quite loosely on sharperdeals auction site.

Bruce
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

BruceS wrote:My feelings too. The term is used quite loosely on sharperdeals auction site.

Bruce
Exactly Bruce...thus my post. I'm afraid I've fallen victim to the term on an auction I just won yesterday. Live & learn I guess. Luckily, the lesson didn't cost me too much money, but I have so much to learn.

jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Post pictures when you receive the knife and folks will chime in

Jim
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

jim d, wrote:Post pictures when you receive the knife and folks will chime in

Jim
...Will do Jim, I appreciate it.

natcherly
Connoisseur dei Coltelli

Post by natcherly »

This is what Bill DeShivs had to say some 15 years ago. That is pretty much the definition that I have understood. Probably should add D punched liners and slip in springs to this, although I'm sure there are exceptions. There may also be some button open/close examples as well.

Let's face it, consistency in design and manufacture is not a strong point with our friends in Maniago. Nonetheless, if transitionals command a premium, care needs to be exercised by the buyer to determine whether or not a piece fits that category.
Bill DeShivs wrote:"Transitionals" are knives made during the period just before the modern Italian. ALL had nickel silver bolsters with bolster release. Many were made with thicker blades and backsprings. Most had nice horn, a flat-ground blade with a swedge ground on the top edge. Some had bayonet blades. The liners covered the inside of the front bolsters. They were made during the period of transition from the picklocks to the modern, stainless & brass bolstered, thin steel knives.
Bill DeShivs
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Thank you Mr. Natcherly (and Bill). As Bruce stated above, the term is being way over-used on the market these days apparently. The information you posted is very educational to the newer collectors such as myself. I'm sure you guys that have been around for a long period of time, get tired & bored of answering the same old questions over & over, but the info. is more valuable than you know. Thank you!

john

Post by john »

A lot of knives made in the 70s are sold as transitionals. Decent knives but not "transitionals". They have some of the features like a swedge blade or the non button side liner covers the S guard. Buyer beware, I too have, unknowingly, purchased the 1970s version when I thought I was buying 1960s transitional.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed