LATAMA Square Button Switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Re: LATAMA Square Button Switchblade

Post by Bill DeShivs »

So, Mantiques and bigbob219 ARE the same person!
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
omega

Post by omega »

Bill, you're confusing me again. You're saying that " bigbob219 and Mantiques ARE the same person," which would mean that the seller, Mantiques is bidding his own auction using the Bigbob219 userid.

Are you certain? That tantamount to accusing a seller of auction-fraud. I'm sure it happens, but what's the evidence in this case?

Or did you mean that Bigbob219 is Bob of Sharperdeal - the proprietor of the auction.
Last edited by omega on Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

Bill DeShivs wrote:So, Mantiques and bigbob219 ARE the same person!
WOW!! And "caddy43" is doing his very first transaction on such an expensive piece? Bidding 2 minutes apart against himself? Something's wrong here...(yes, I'm confused as usual. Getting use to it).
Last edited by JulesVane on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

Mantiques wrote:The auction has a few more days. The bid is close to my reserve.
http://www.sharperdeals.net/index.php?m ... witchblade
What does this mean, then?
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.
Mantiques

Post by Mantiques »

Mantiques and bigbob are not the same.
Mantiques is Phil Walter. http://www.arizonamantiques.com. Wanted to clear that up.
omega

Post by omega »

JulesVane wrote:
............ Something's wrong here...
I give up trying to sort this out. Perhaps Bigbob219 is Bob Chopra of Sharperdeal, but I don't believe that he is also Mantiques.... the seller of the knife.

I think SOMEONE needs to refrain from posting when they're having to take their Percocettes. :D - or better yet, send them to me to watch over. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Mystery solved by Mantiques. Good, now I can return to obsessing about the obscene prices of old Latamas.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

So, Bigbobwhatever is selling the knife for Mantiques?
omega

Post by omega »

Bill DeShivs wrote:So, Bigbobwhatever is selling the knife for Mantiques?
No........Mantiques is selling the knife himself on SD. Bigbobwhatever had the opening bid of $3500 and the present high bid of $4K. The only mystery is who is BigBob. Someone mentioned it might be Bob Chopra, proprietor of SD auction, but that's not confirmed as yet.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

I see. Thanks. I have not been following the auction- just reading the posts here!
omega

Post by omega »

We're all watching...... wanting to see who pays $4K+ for an old beat-up knife. I mean, I can see paying big bucks for a new Burn maybe, but an old Latama???? Especially in light of recent rumors suggesting there were 1000+ of the square buttons made. But hey ...... to each his own.
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

omega wrote:We're all watching...... wanting to see who pays $4K+ for an old beat-up knife. I mean, I can see paying big bucks for a new Burn maybe, but an old Latama???? Especially in light of recent rumors suggesting there were 1000+ of the square buttons made. But hey ...... to each his own.
The last square button 13" Latama i seen went for 10,000 dollars it was many years ago but it has been many years since one has been offered for sale , this is a super rare highly collectible knife the Holy grail so to speak of vintage italian stiletto knives. yes there may have been 1000 made but only few are accounted for i think less than 30 . it was rumored years ago Bob had 2 user names on auction site so very possible (bigbob219) is bob who manages auction site.
Last edited by METALGOD on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

bigbob219 is not Bob Chopra.
wicollector

Post by wicollector »

I've sold to bigbob 219 he is from Pennsylvania and his first name is Bernard he is not Bob off SD not really sure why anybody would think he was in the first place ?
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

omega wrote:We're all watching...... wanting to see who pays $4K+ for an old beat-up knife. I mean, I can see paying big bucks for a new Burn maybe, but an old Latama???? Especially in light of recent rumors suggesting there were 1000+ of the square buttons made. But hey ...... to each his own.
No rumor about a 1000 of tbese being made. Bad, factless information from years ago assumed since they were unseen that they were prototypes.

It's 100% fact that nearly 1000 were made. There are documents found which show the exact amount of each knife made and then packed into shipping crates to be sent from Maniago to the Latama offices in NYC between April-July of 1951. There is just no way to deny it. The facts are in black and white. These are the official papers from the Shop that sent the knives to NYC in the summer if 1951. I think it's awesome to know so many facts in full detail from the papers made at the time of completion of the manufacture.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
Mantiques

Post by Mantiques »

I re-posted the knife on sharperdeals.com for 4,000 with a 4,500 buy it now. I am leaving on vacation shortly after this auction ends in 6 days so if it does not sell it will have to sit for a month.