LATAMA Square Button Switchblade

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
Georgedbugge

Re: LATAMA Square Button Switchblade

Post by Georgedbugge »

Just curious, were the square button Latamas listed in the 1951 shipping records all 13"? Or were there also some 9" or 11" models? Dang, I wish I had a time machine! :wink:

Best regards,

George
orangeboy wrote:
omega wrote:We're all watching...... wanting to see who pays $4K+ for an old beat-up knife. I mean, I can see paying big bucks for a new Burn maybe, but an old Latama???? Especially in light of recent rumors suggesting there were 1000+ of the square buttons made. But hey ...... to each his own.
No rumor about a 1000 of tbese being made. Bad, factless information from years ago assumed since they were unseen that they were prototypes.

It's 100% fact that nearly 1000 were made. There are documents found which show the exact amount of each knife made and then packed into shipping crates to be sent from Maniago to the Latama offices in NYC between April-July of 1951. There is just no way to deny it. The facts are in black and white. These are the official papers from the Shop that sent the knives to NYC in the summer if 1951. I think it's awesome to know so many facts in full detail from the papers made at the time of completion of the manufacture.
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

7, 8, 9, 11, 13.
Italian and USA Doctorate in Cutlery Research, PHD
Italian and USA Masters in Cutlery Research, PHD
METALGOD

Post by METALGOD »

orangeboy wrote:7, 8, 9, 11, 13.
Hi Charley there were 1000 made of each size or 1000 made total of all the sizes combined ?
boblees812

Post by boblees812 »

Hi. Charles do you know how many of each size was make.. The document of the 1000 made have a brake down how many 7,8,9,11,13 Thanks Wayne
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

METALGOD wrote:
orangeboy wrote:7, 8, 9, 11, 13.
Hi Charley there were 1000 made of each size or 1000 made total of all the sizes combined ?
1000 total Square buttons. (It was slightly less than 1,000) around 900 if I remember my notes correctly).
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

boblees812 wrote:Hi. Charles do you know how many of each size was make.. The document of the 1000 made have a brake down how many 7,8,9,11,13 Thanks Wayne
Hi Wayne. Yes the papers showed the exact number of each size made. I believe I listed this info in the Square Button chapter in the Latama Legend book.
boblees812

Post by boblees812 »

Thanks.. Charles
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

Well the knife is back up on SD. He's still trying to wring more blood from this turnip. Now its 5 large buy it now. God help us! Is this thing really worth this in it's "Relic" condition? God that thing looks nasty.

Bruce
Jackalope

Post by Jackalope »

BruceS wrote:Well the knife is back up on SD. He's still trying to wring more blood from this turnip. Now its 5 large buy it now. God help us! Is this thing really worth this in it's "Relic" condition? God that thing looks nasty.

Bruce
Next time it's up there he'll want $6K for it lol.
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...I would of took the original bid of $4K and ran like the Devil himself was chasing me...But, hey, that's just me lol. Just my opinion, but maybe "bigbob" got offended at the rejection 'cause he had the chance to grab it in round 2 and didn't come out for the bell. It was a very generous offer. I'm almost out of popcorn watching this drama lol. (Geez, I really need to get a life!).

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
orangeboy

Post by orangeboy »

It think it's a nice knife with a great unused blade. Sure some worm damage but at least
we know it's an authentic all original piece.

I think I the prices on Square buttons has gone down for three reasons.

The entire hobby is down a little except for untra rare pieces that sells berwneen private collectors.

There are now 30 or more square buttons know. It was wrongly theorized with no facts that less than 24 were made but that's completely wrong. I myself have found three so far. And I hope to find more. And several veteran collectors have two or three of them too.

Lastly most of the veterans have realized that the 1890s-1930s Italian stilettos that were made in Maniago are where it's really at. Most all of the best Italian made pre WW2 stilettos have only surfaced in the past ten years. So while the 1950s knives are classic the real quality and original stilettos go way back to the 1880s and are just superlative knives.
Mantiques

Post by Mantiques »

It is up for 5K or offer.
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

Good luck, hope you get it.
2024 candidate for president
JulesVane

Post by JulesVane »

...Well, it's over. Kinda' hoping for a better ending. The seller making himself an offer on his own listing by $600 was a nice twist though lol. Congrats on your sale Mantiques!

"By accepting you as you are, I do not necessarily abandon all hope of your improving"- My Wife (1963-Present)
sammy the blade

Post by sammy the blade »

People must have got tired of guessing the reserve. That's what happened when you get to greedy.
2024 candidate for president