Request info pics included

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
repligun

Request info pics included

Post by repligun »

Hi, I recently put up the "Partial Collection" thread a little while ago. I recently got this one from my uncles estate. He was 94 when he passed last December. The button cannot be pushed in unless you push the blade in a little bit, then the button moves and the knife can be opened. Any info is appreciated.
Den

sammy the blade

Re: Request info pics included

Post by sammy the blade »

I'm sure you'll hear something soon. Not sure but I think Bill DeShivs works on those.
2024 candidate for president
Viking45

Post by Viking45 »

I'm not the expert here and as Sam said someone will come along with some answers, meanwhile hit the button and safety with a little oil and work them both a bit before trying to open it and see what happens.
It sure can't hurt anything.
repligun

Post by repligun »

Heres another one I came across. I must have gotten this over 30 years ago. Is that possible or are my memories fading? It still snaps open very fast. Great for mustaches.
Den
lance

Post by lance »

Top one is a Hammer brand fishing knife,from the 60s,sounds like the pin that the button is attached to is rusty or corroded.these knives usually bring 30/40$ at auction.best kept as a fond memory of your grandfather.wd 40 under the button may help.
The comb is from the 80s and there still readily available on ebay for a couple dollars.
Hope that helps..im sorry they arent woth a fortune..if they were my grandpa's..they'd be worth keepin and passing along to the nxt generation.
repligun

Post by repligun »

Thanks for the info. Wasn't thinking about selling just interested in their history. The fishing one makes sense seeing he had a few boats on Long Island Sound.
Thanks
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Actually your knife is more often referred to as Hammer brand toothpick style knife.

The auto fish scalers have teeth on the top of the blade for scaling fish. They are rarer.
21297703_2.jpg
21297703_2.jpg (25.89 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
The Hammer brand toothpick auto knives were manufactured by the Imperial knife company from about 1950 until the switchblade ban of 1958. Your knife appears to be an early 50's knife.
Bill DeShivs
Yes.

Post by Bill DeShivs »

A Hammer brand in that condition is easily worth $100.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler
http://www.billdeshivs.com
Factory authorized repairs for:
Latama, Mauro Mario, LePre, Colonial, Kabar, Flylock, Schrade Cut Co., Presto, Press Button, Hubertus, Grafrath, Kuno Ritter knives, Puma, Burrell Cutlery.