SKM and AKC for every day use

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
lucky

SKM and AKC for every day use

Post by lucky »

I really like the look and style of the SKM and AKC Italian stilletos on Blade HQ but they state that they are more for collectors and displays and not for hard EDC use.
Would y'all agree with that?
Looking for something I can use!!
Thanks
BruceS

Re: SKM and AKC for every day use

Post by BruceS »

The Italian Stiletto doesn't have much strength for cutting jobs that have any down force placed on the back spring. I think the traditional design is centered on being a defensive poking or stabbing weapon. If you apply enough down force pressure the lock will disengage the blade lock pin. Look at a traditional lock back or other auto knife designs. Folks with higher post counts can weight in with their expanded experiences.

Bruce
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Correct, stilettos don't stand up to hard everyday use well. Leverlocks are much sturdier. Depending on what you mean by hard use, the leverletto (the real ones not the fakes) combine the strength of the leverlock with the style of the stiletto.

Jim
Luke_of_Mass

Post by Luke_of_Mass »

If you're looking for an Italian auto that you can use, check out Frank Beltrame's B-Stealth model; that holds up. unless you're stabbing people or flicking knives open to intimidate people, there's really no other practical use for traditional stilettos
Knee-deep in the hoopla...
hearandgone

Post by hearandgone »

Thanks
lucky

Post by lucky »

Cool, thanks!
Yeah, love the look of a stiletto but it is pretty much just a weapon!
Panzerfaust

Post by Panzerfaust »

Not for hard use, but OK for light cutting tasks.
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Not to mention a bayonet blade or a dagger blade is hard to sharpen a good cutting edge on. If you do decide on a stiletto for an EDC I would recommend a flat grind blade.
Tom19176

Post by Tom19176 »

As a Teen I carried a non auto stiletto with either a clip style blade and or a bayonet blade. They both did well for years of fishing, cutting needs and I kept them fairly sharp. I agree they are not the best design, but in the 1970s when there were limited knife offerings they were cool looking and served my needs....
DonC

Post by DonC »

I fall into the "there are better options for an EDC" camp but stilettos can be sharpened to a useful edge. I have a local guy who could put a razor edge on a wooden cooking spoon. The trick is keeping the edge once it's been established. I agree with whippersnapper that a flat grind blade would probably be the easiest to maintain an edge on.
DonC
Greek stiletto

Post by Greek stiletto »

I will like to say that the stilettos is no good for edc tasks like cutting ropes,hoses,wire,dartboard and all that coz its not made for nothing else but stabbing the bad guys only for this it would be perfect but for edc only if you like to open a letter.
Even with the simple plain edge a stiletto would be poor at tasks except the letter opening and ad some butter to a bread....
Not to mention a reaction of people if they see you opening a stiletto to cut a wire....no way.
Even if you sharpening at razor edge the lock would be fail fairly easy.
tr4252
Special Agent Oy Oy Seven

Post by tr4252 »

I'd like to add another vote for the Leverletto. I carry one on the job and it's stood up to some pretty serious use. The only things I need to do are keep it lubricated and keep it sharp. Very useful knife, and the cool factor can't be denied.

Tom
Is it...Tomorrow....Or just the end of time?
jim d,

Post by jim d, »

Right you are Tom about the Leverletto cool factor. Some more information: it was designed by Bill DeShivs and built by AKC. If anyone goes the Leverletto route, be careful of the seller. There are counterfeits and sellers who try to pass them off as real. If you have any doubts about authenticity, just ask here and you will get the answer, perhaps from the designer himself :D

This discussion just inspired me to go to the knifechest and pull a beautiful first run example with great horn that I haven't held in at least a couple years.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have no financial or other interest except as a purchasing collector in either anything Leverletto or AKC.

Jim
Furcs

Post by Furcs »

Didn't Mr. Vagrant used to talk about a damascus flat-grind stileto he used as an EDC? Maybe my memory isn't good on this, but seems he liked it and used it a lot.
A lot has to do with how you use it, no? Designed for stabbing...I don't do much of that. Not good for cutting wire...never used a knife for that anyway. Somewhere in between may be the place, and I have dozens of autos that I use, but lately taken a liking to a small white pearlex flat grind that's seems to be in my pocket most of the time, and works very well for my needs ( thanks and hello Mr. Whippersnapper).
Like most questions, there is no easy answer unless the answer is 'it depends'. Right?
Just my experience, but to me knives are such a joy that even when, initially, they aren't what you expect them to be they may turn out to be the perfect one for you. :D
BruceS

Post by BruceS »

A friend gifted me this Speed Hunter. It would be a good everyday carry piece. It is an easy knife to find. Being a lock back it is probably good for most cutting chores. I usually use a pocket knife to open an envelope or cut off a piece biltong or a droewor.

Bruce
Attachments
Speed_Hunter_Knife.jpg
Speed_Hunter_Knife.jpg (23.96 KiB) Viewed 5598 times