Rostfrei/Import info

This is a forum for discussion on automatic an switchblade knives.

Moderator: The Motley Crew

Forum rules
There are a few things you should know before posting in these forums. If you are a new user, please click here and read carefully. Thanks a lot!
wazu013

Rostfrei/Import info

Post by wazu013 »

This weekend at a local Pawn I found a 13" stag switch with a tang stamp of Rostfrei over Imported. It was in great shape with some real nice fat matching stag. Being a Pawn shop the guy was shooting for the moon asking $450 but I know he'd take much less. I had a total brain freeze about the meaning age and value of a knife with that marking so I wimped out. I do like it and would love to pick it up. Can some of you Guys help me out with some general info? I probably could go work it out for around $250 maybe less but I'd like to know what the heck I'm talking about. I don't have any pictures. Just assume it is in near mint condition.
What do you think You'd pay?
Thanks in advance,
Mike
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
jim d,

Re: Rostfrei/Import info

Post by jim d, »

Given the stamp I'm guessing it is a swivel bolster and likely an older swivel bolster. Regarding the asking price, I shoot him a moon :lol: The market has been depressed lately and even $250 is a bit high unless it is a gorgeous hefty transitional and you really want it. Hope this helps.

Jim
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

jim d, wrote:Given the stamp I'm guessing it is a swivel bolster and likely an older swivel bolster. Regarding the asking price, I shoot him a moon :lol: The market has been depressed lately and even $250 is a bit high unless it is a gorgeous hefty transitional and you really want it. Hope this helps.

Jim
I'll shoot him one of those swiss cheese moons :D
“The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed.”
john

Post by john »

General guidelines:
It could be a "transitional" made in the 60s. Check for two fully lined "S" guards, 2 piece spring, "D" stamped liner, swivel bolster, nickel silver bolsters including button and old style safety, swedge blade and a modern safety.
Like Jim said it's probably an older swivel bolstered knife.
Some "newer" transitionals made in the 70s will feature some of the traits of the first transitionals. Look for modern one piece spring, one lined "S" guard backside only, no "D" stamped liner and stainless steel blade and it may or may not have a swedge blade. Like I said these are general guidelines. Try to get us a photo.
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

john wrote:General guidelines:
It could be a "transitional" made in the 60s. Check for two fully lined "S" guards, 2 piece spring, "D" stamped liner, swivel bolster, nickel silver bolsters including button and old style safety, swedge blade and a modern safety.
Like Jim said it's probably an older swivel bolstered knife.
Some "newer" transitionals made in the 70s will feature some of the traits of the first transitionals. Look for modern one piece spring, one lined "S" guard backside only, no "D" stamped liner and stainless steel blade and it may or may not have a swedge blade. Like I said these are general guidelines. Try to get us a photo.
Good info.
Thanks John
Belmont800

Post by Belmont800 »

I am thinking it is worth between 100 - 200.
Belmont800
whippersnapper

Post by whippersnapper »

Belmont800 wrote:I am thinking it is worth between 100 - 200.
I agree.
john

Post by john »

I agree with Dan and Terry mo more than $200. I was going to say $100 would be a fair price; I paid less for the ones pictured below. Two are stamped Virginia the other is Stiletto over Italy over Rostfrei. I have another one, but I just can't find it. If the knife was a piece that you needed to complete a collection then it would be worth spending a more. Image
Your friend on the web's most friendly community on knives and blades,
John

Massachusetts Where Everything is Illegal or Taxed
gravknife

Post by gravknife »

Wazu
I think transitionals are super knivesand i think a fair price is anywhere up to 200 dollars.
Think how much you would pay for a modern production high quality 13 inch knife as these transitionals are high quality indeed.

Look for nickle silver buttons and safety , D stamped liners ,short throw safeties 2 piece slip in springs ,swedge blades (Bayonets also sometimes)thicker backsprings and any traits of the older picklocks but with the easy opening of a swivel bolster.

They also have nice shaped scales in my experience and the smaller ones fire like rockets.
I hope you can get it mate ,they are real quality true maniago italian blades.
Heres 3 transitionals i have owned .

gravknife
Attachments
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg (449.42 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
DSC_0016.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg (355.14 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg (246.27 KiB) Viewed 4444 times
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Thanks for all the info Guys. I'm going to take a whack at it this Saturday. I also a bunch of flashy looking Case XX knives that he may like to trade for. I'll see what he knows about knives.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Well I went there yesterday and came away empty handed. The Guy wouldn't go for anything less than $300. I asked him where he got his pricing and info and here's the good part. He went to the autokife.com website and showed me a similar knife but 11" listed for $499 on sale now for $399. He was a pretty confident Dude so I could see it was a lost cause. On my way out the door I told him I'd be back next year with $120. He said it will be long gone but he will take that bet.